Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Runner's World wrote:November 13, 2008
A Brief Chat With Sam Chelanga

By Peter Gambaccini

Sophomore Sam Chelanga and his Liberty University teammates will compete Saturday at the NCAA Cross Country Southeast Regional at Wake Forest University in North Carolina. Chelanga was been the outstanding male cross country runner of the U.S. fall season.
There's some pretty cool quotes in the Q&A ...
Josh McDougal of Liberty won the NCAA Championships last year, and a lot of attention came with that. It would be remarkable if a Liberty guy could win for the second year in a row. Do you feel pressure to do that? Do you want to live up to Josh’s example?

SC: Technically, I don’t want to say that I feel pressure. But traditionally, if your teammate or your team wins a title of any nature, it’s always according to you to defend it. So I would say I am excited and I’m looking forward to defending my title. I feel it’s my obligation and opportunity to continue the legacy that Josh left behind.
Are you an American citizen yet or planning on becoming one?

SC: I’m planning on becoming an American citizen. I wish it could come sooner, before 2012, so I could run for American in the Olympics.

What would you do if you wanted to be in the World Championships or a meet like that? Would you compete for Kenya?

SC: I’ve been looking into that. I talk to my family and my friends I came to the United States when I wasn’t that good (a runner). I feel like NCAA, the program, the entire thing, is just helping me get better and better every day. It’s just a good thing to compete for the U.S. I made up my mind. I don’t want to say I don’t want to run for my country (Kenya), but I think the U.S. has done for me, I want to run for them.
Click Here for Full Story
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Nice find, Sly.

My favorite quote:
Are you enjoying life down there in Lynchburg?
SC: Yeah, I must say I am. It’s not like in New Jersey. I like the people better. Everything. I don’t always talk about my faith, but I’m a Christian. That really matters to me. When I hang around people who support me, they know that life means more than just what we do. It’s about doing what God plans for us. It’s a different feeling. Most people wouldn’t understand, but I feel it is a really good thing.
I'm a little lost as to how he was able to redshirt last year. I thought that a transfer lost a year of eligibility. I'm not complaining, though! It's really not outside the realm of possibility that a LU singlet could be crossing the line first at 4 consecutive national championships. Simply amazing.

First things first. Good luck to the team on Saturday.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I knew you would appreciate this one, Grad.

I think we were spoiled somewhat with having Josh that we are not giving Sammy the proper attention.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]