Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Games are decided by one play all the time. A team is down by 1 or 2...and attempts a FG on the last play. If the play goes well they win, if the play doesn't they lose...but that play, of course, doesn't happen if all of the other plays leading up to it don't happen...but the play still decides the outcome.

But I get what JK37 is saying. You can't blame the refs when you give up 41 points. This is the first LU game that I haven't watched or listened to in a LONG, LONG time...I took a group from church to the Gaithers yesterday at Thomas Road...so I had no contact with the game. I read the entire game thread to find out the final score.

BTW...What was this almost interception thing people are talking about in the 1st overtime?

I have faith, though...We're going to start winning these soon...hopefully we can pull the Elon game out...I will be there at the Flamesclub tent/lunch thing.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
[quote="jimflamesfan"]BTW...What was this almost interception thing people are talking about in the 1st overtime?[quote]

A Phillips pass hit Dickerson in the numbers, and he dropped it It was made worse for us radio listeners because Mr. Edwards said, "It's intercepted! The game's over!" before realizing it had been dropped.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Thanks, JK37.

I am now so glad I didn't listen on the radio!
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
jimflamesfan wrote:BTW...What was this almost interception thing people are talking about in the 1st overtime?
A Phillips pass hit Dickerson in the numbers, and he dropped it It was made worse for us radio listeners because Mr. Edwards said, "It's intercepted! The game's over!" before realizing it had been dropped.
It wasn't the numbers. It was above his hands and went through them.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
JK37 wrote:
jimflamesfan wrote:BTW...What was this almost interception thing people are talking about in the 1st overtime?
It wasn't the numbers. It was above his hands and went through them.
my mistake. that's just what I was told...
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:

If he said that i don't know what he was lookin at during the play. That ball clearly could have been caught but shot back off someones pads and obviously was not caught.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Watching the tape right now that I taped. That int in the end zone was pathetic.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
Hicks cant tackle, but boy are we thin at cb, and the lack of pressure is no good.

Seriously though How many missed tackles were there? especially by cb's.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Watching the tape right now that I taped. That int in the end zone was pathetic.
Did the guy even have to jump? I mean if he throws it even to the corner of the endzone where somebody has to make an amazing play to get the ball. He should have never thrown that ball.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
It's crazy how excited we were on that last drive. I'm just to the end of regulation right now.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
Seriously I dont know how you could watch that

Is everything you got going on that video?

"What should we do Jeremy?"
"We gotta freaking put Zach Terrell in the game hes amazing"
"Were gonna go number 3 to the left side"

Every time Id turn around to hi five people Id almost get pushed over

How bout that dudes wife slamming your pole on the bleachers??
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
A lot of it will go in.

I just remembered that Brock threw to a check down receiver 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage on that 2nd down and we lost yardage.

Just saw the fourth down.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:A lot of it will go in.

I just remembered that Brock threw to a check down receiver 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage on that 2nd down and we lost yardage.

Just saw the fourth down.
Yeah wasn't that rashad out of the backfield? that pass should have been thrown a lot earlier to give him time to get a head of steam.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
I think everyone was behind me. I sat on the Isle of section A. One of Jon's boys (sorry I don't know your name) had a crew a few rows behind us.

Does anyone know if Brock has depth perception problems? I'm honestly just curious. The slant stuff and relatively straight throws he's fine. (Including the 2pt conversion). It's the vertical stuff he has problems with and much of what he has problems with is straight up the field. He overthrows a lot.

As I said earlier, if we played the first 3 quarters like we played the last, we'd have been in great shape.

On another note a friend of mine was with me at the game and we both were pretty excited about the enthusiasm that existed for the team. When we were wrapping up LU (he in 99 and me in 2001) it was a joke to attend the games. Seeing an excited group of several hundred fans gathered on our side making noise was great.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Filmguy was the one right behind you.
By auntie ann
Registration Days Posts
does not have depth perception problems, I sometimes think he is just real strong.. AA
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan wrote:
JK37 wrote:
jimflamesfan wrote:BTW...What was this almost interception thing people are talking about in the 1st overtime? If he said that i don't know what he was lookin at during the play. That ball clearly could have been caught but shot back off someones pads and obviously was not caught.
My dad, who was with me at the game last night, thought that ball was intercepted too. I was excited that it was knocked away, I looked to him to give him a five and he's like yeah we won we won!!!
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Oh yea, and I didn't even have to pay for gas (thanks Scorcho).
No problem at all, dude. I had a great time, in spite of the stinging loss.

I don't have a lot to say about it yet, but I do think that I'm not willing to put Brock on the hot seat for this one. Overall he played about as well or even better than he's played previously. I think the level he played at was enough to get the win last night. It might not be where we as fans would like our QB to be, but it was good enough to get the W. Our offense put up 41 points and came through in the clutch. They may not have done everything perfectly, but they did as well as they could.

I cannot say the same thing for the defense. In spite of a few good stops, we needed them to make that 41 points look as good as it should have. They could not do that. Some credit can be given to the passing perfection of the W&M offense, but at some point we should have been able to adjust. We just couldn't get it done.

So, focus on what you will, but it is my opinion that it was the defense and several stupid penalties that cost us that game. Again, I can't focus my blame laser on an offense that put up an imperfect but solid 41 point performance.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Oh, and a couple of other things...

The LU fan support was amazing. I hope one tough loss doesn't prove FlameFans to be of the fair weather variety.

KFC was better than what they served the Flames Club.

W&M's talent was not up to par with what we're used to at LU. Those with more honed talent-scouting skills than my own (hey, I know I'm rusty) can back me up on that one.
By magnolialeague
Registration Days Posts
I think it is because you all have improved rather than us getting worse. We were worse last year.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Up front they really shut down Vince Redd so someone else should have stepped up the pass rush and it didn't happen after the Ackley sack in the first quarter. Very disappointing to see that no one on the front line or one of the linebackers came through.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I thought about last night as I was coming back from my first visit to the LU monogram...

If you guys remember, the first time we played William and Mary we lost by 20 points 37-17...the very next year we went to Williamsburg and lost 56-0. The VERY next year we came within a made field goal of beating them and then last night we came within 3 inches or so of tying or winning that game. To go from losing by a combined 93-17 to twice beating W&M in every aspect but on the scoreboard shows me that this team has shown an almost meteoric level of improvement in the couple seasons than we had in any of the first 4 that I have been a student at LU. Im not saying that these guys have arrived yet, but I have a feeling that in the next couple years, particularly once Coach Rocco is working with only the guys he has brought in, these guys could be up to something really REALLY special. A win last night I think would have been a huge step toward that but these guys really showed that the landscape is a changin in LU football and its a changin for the better.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote: W&M's talent was not up to par with what we're used to at LU. Those with more honed talent-scouting skills than my own (hey, I know I'm rusty) can back me up on that one.
8)

I got that one
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
It's true.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote: W&M's talent was not up to par with what we're used to at LU. Those with more honed talent-scouting skills than my own (hey, I know I'm rusty) can back me up on that one.
i'd say i'm more honed... and you are correct. they may be smarter than us but they weren't top 10 playboy like us
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]