Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Someone who was there, please tell me if we got screwed as badly as it sounds on the radio.

By the way, please don't get on here and say that "it was just one play..." It doesn't get any bigger than that.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Also, let us know who was responsible for replacing our defense with 11 Sloths in football uniforms.
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
Courtesy of lifeofalunatic:

By auntie ann
Registration Days Posts
Waiting, to hear from brock, I wish something could be done, this she brought to ESPN, we people could see this, i am so angry, i wont be able to sleep tonight..............................................................................................................................................................
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
The play took place on the opposite end of the field from the Liberty section, so truthfully we couldn't see if he got a foot or not. BUT the refs can't decide the game like that. That's bad officiating. Let the teams decide who wins. Anyone could pick up that ball and put it back down in a different spot and we could STILL be playing. OH well.
By magnolialeague
Registration Days Posts
Don't lose sleep. Nothing can be done and an apology for sucky officiating is empty anyway.

I know. I cheer for Vanderbilt. We have fans that can run off each screwjob off the top of their head. A blown call here ... a blown call there ... then the there was the night in Florida.

The fact is you have a very good coach and a team that improves with each season under his helm.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Here's what happened: we lost. Did we get the first down? According to the tape, yes. Right when the ball was spotted the W&M crew said "That's a bad spot. We just won."

However, that bad spot doesn't cost us the game. Horrible passing decisions, turnovers, stupid penalties, the lack of a pass rush, and a laid back secondary did. We let them run on us. We let them pass on us. We don't do those things and we don't even let it get to that.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Can't keep bringing up the poor spot as a reason for the loss. Our defense played horrible. We couldn't stop the pass or the run. I think that my concerns about the defensive line are true and brought up in another thread. This game should have never come down to an officials decision.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I agree with most of what you guys are saying about the spot not costing us the game. Games are won and lost for 60 minutes of game play. But in this one instance when the call determines whether the game continues or ends, you gotta get this right and it sounds like they didn't come close to getting it right and that is not fair to the players and coaches and fans of the team that didn't get the call. We can say all we want about where we had breakdowns. Breakdowns are a part of the game and the other team will force those breakdowns if they are a good team. All I am saying let the game continue and let Liberty win or lose the game on the field. To end the game like that is a travesty. That is life and we will move on. I have had tons of things like this happen in my life in sports and in other areas as well. You learn to deal with set backs and move on. Rocco will have this team motivated to not let the game come down to this kind of stuff again. Go out and put some distance between you and the other team and take it out of the officials hands. We are a good football team though. We sound like we have a lot of character to come back on the road like we did last night against a school that used to beat us by 100 points a game (hyperbole of course).
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I disagree with all of you. We are 2 obviously very even teams. We scored the same amount of points in regulation. We scored the same amount of points in OT. And we were driving to do the same in 2OT. You guys can spout off your sports cliches all you want but a bad call by the ref ended the game. We were denied the chance to tie it because of that. It's as simple as that.
By auntie ann
Registration Days Posts
agreed luconn, that is my feeling exactly..
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
Here is another crazy thing to me and i don't know if it was mentioned. We started that drive on the 25 right? Well it look like the marker for the first down was on the other side of the 15 slightly and the ball was just touching the 15? So i really wondering if it was also possible if the chains were misplaced, that to me could be a reason we came up short, because the ball clearly looked like the nose was on the 15.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
A call by a referee should never determine who wins and who loses.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
The refs didn't cost this game. If Brock wouldn't have hit a W&M DB right in the chest, twice, we wouldn't have been in OT. If our defense would've stop someone before the fourth quarter, we wouldn't be in OT. If Kent Hicks didn't commit three stupid penalties, we wouldn't be in OT. The refs aren't to blame. if we blame anyone, our QB play and lack of a defense is to blame.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:A call by a referee should never determine who wins and who loses.
Never is a strong word....that means 100% of the time and thats not reality. Im not sayin in this occasion it did but sometimes it does, thats just the bottomline.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan wrote:
jcmanson wrote:A call by a referee should never determine who wins and who loses.
Never is a strong word....that means 100% of the time and thats not reality. Im not sayin in this occasion it did but sometimes it does, thats just the bottomline.
I stand by my statement.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:
Rocketfan wrote:
I stand by my statement.
Well then, that would make you a poor referee or umpire or linesman or whatever. The fact is that every play is equally as important as every other play, whether it be the deciding one or the first one in a game.

We had a situation, from what I gather, was not that the referees intervened, it's that they made the wrong call.
By magnolialeague
Registration Days Posts
Wrong? I don't know. Spotting a football is kind of random when you think about it.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Ed Dantes wrote:
jcmanson wrote:
Rocketfan wrote: Never is a strong word....that means 100% of the time and thats not reality. Im not sayin in this occasion it did but sometimes it does, thats just the bottomline.
I stand by my statement.
Well then, that would make you a poor referee or umpire or linesman or whatever. The fact is that every play is equally as important as every other play, whether it be the deciding one or the first one in a game.

We had a situation, from what I gather, was not that the referees intervened, it's that they made the wrong call.
That's why I'm not a referee :wink:

I just hate the way the game ended. I hate games that end like that. Both teams sitting around waiting to see what a ref is going to do. That's total crap to me.
By auntie ann
Registration Days Posts
still think this game was stolen, end of the first half, and the end of the game..... this kind of thing should not be aloud to happen again....I sound like a sore loser, just like justice and fairness
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
It should have never come to an officials call if we can eliminate those freakin penalties.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
auntie ann wrote:still think this game was stolen, end of the first half, and the end of the game..... this kind of thing should not be aloud to happen again....I sound like a sore loser, just like justice and fairness
It wasn't stolen. The call was legit. We shouldn't have been in the position we were. Without the negative yardage on 2nd down in OT, the 3rd down play gives us the first down.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
auntie ann wrote:still think this game was stolen, end of the first half, and the end of the game..... this kind of thing should not be aloud to happen again....I sound like a sore loser, just like justice and fairness
I agree with john and will add, if you were there and saw Captian Penalty(hicks).....you wouldn't disagree with the officials about the call at the end of the first half.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan wrote:Here is another crazy thing to me and i don't know if it was mentioned. We started that drive on the 25 right? Well it look like the marker for the first down was on the other side of the 15 slightly and the ball was just touching the 15? So i really wondering if it was also possible if the chains were misplaced, that to me could be a reason we came up short, because the ball clearly looked like the nose was on the 15.
That's what I thought we were all complaining about. Jerry was yelling about it on the radio, he said that the nose of the ball was clearly on the 15 yard line, which logically, if you started exactly on the 25 yard line, would have to be a first down. If the chains didn't agree then the chains were placed wrong. But I guess if we didn't want to be in a position to let the refs rig us, we should have scored a touchdown every sing play, right? We did it to ourselves!
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
agreed with LUconn. we put ourselves in too many bad posiitons to win this game. the refs did not lose the game for us. wiht this we need to move on. im gonna shut this one down.
Election 2022 and 2024

Unless Trump is suddenly a NY resident again, I th[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

https://www.liberty.edu/news/wp-content/uploads/si[…]

Liberty Campus "protest"

Let's set aside the 180 degree contrast in message[…]

I think the online strategy has proven to ha[…]