Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By pbow
Registration Days Posts
27-21 LU
By TwoFeathers
Registration Days Posts
From an outsiders perspective (after reading the above discussion) this would be the most significant win for your program since ASU in 1997. Right now, right or wrong, LU is considered the fourth best I-AA program in the state of VA behind JMU, WM, UR, and Hampton. Playing in the Big South earns you zero points and no win within the Big South will garner any national repspect (at least until a Big South team makes the playoffs and advances past the first round). Perception does matter, look at the ridiculous scores being predicted on AGS and the Zone by fans from other schools, most predicting a WM blowout (I disagree and expect a close battle). Don't be fooled by WM's 3-8 record, though. The margin between victory and defeat in the CAA is very thin because the conference enjoys great parity from top to bottom (there are no VMIs in the CAA and any team can beat any other team on any given Sat.). Hofstra was 1-7 in conference last year and beat Furman last week. Every team in the conference has been to the playoffs within the last five years except URI and Towson, and TU barely missed last year in their third yr in the conference. Last year was only WM's second losing season in 18 years. Beating WM would still earn LU the respect as a program that you desire. Lose this one and you'll have to wait till next year to earn it, unless you beat Toledo, because there's no other other potential win on the schedule that can be seen as a barometer to indicate LU has arrived on the scene as a legit contender. WM qualifies as such a barometer, despite last year, because we have a proven track record of consistent winning, playoff appearences/wins, and conference championships over the last 15 plus years. No smack, just the facts as I see them.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
welcome to lynchburg new flame. i look forward to seeing you more in the future. you can do some wakeboarding at SML, it just depoends where you go on the lake. the bedford county side has less traffic than the franklin county side. and to two feathers...good points.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I agree with everything that you said 2 Feathers. The colonial conference is without a doubt the toughest conference out there in 1AA and I have been more partial towards the Southern and the Southland in the past. The Big South is terrible and shouldn't be spoken of in the same sentence as the Colonial. No comparison there. I remember seeing those lopsided scores and immediately knew it was about the lack of respect and not reality. I look forward to a great game and I am sure you are too. I am a little nervous right now as a result of the importance of this one game.

Thanks
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Thought you had to work?
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
A took a break. It is Friday you know.
By wake2cb
Registration Days Posts
Liberty: 26
W&M: 24

It was a very close game last year and I dont expect it to be any different this time around.
Go Flames!
By KaplanKrazies
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
KaplanKrazies wrote:
prototype wrote:I think you guys are giving way to much credit to W&M's D. They couldn't stop a concrete block.

Liberty 54
W&M 27
I think you are giving too much credit to your own team. So you think LU has a stronger offense than UD and a better D?
Well, maybe
Bye credibility!
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
KaplanKrazies wrote:
prototype wrote:
KaplanKrazies wrote:I think you are giving too much credit to your own team. So you think LU has a stronger offense than UD and a better D?
Well, maybe
Bye credibility!
Hello loss column.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
First time Proto's made me laugh in a while. Good job.
By KaplanKrazies
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
KaplanKrazies wrote:
prototype wrote: Well, maybe
Bye credibility!
Hello loss column.
What makes you think that?

When is the last time LU beat W&M?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
the bigger question is, when has LU been this good?? exactly...

I am not saying LU will win for sure....but this is the best LU team to play W&M in recent years.....
By anberlinrawk
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, from someone who has made great points so far, I am slightly surprised KK would go with "Whens the last time..."

That is one of the more irrelevant arguments, the past means nothing.

Sports is about what you do on the day that you are scheduled to do it.

W and M could win 100 in a row against LU, but then this one time, when we have the talent, we have just as much of a shot at winning as W and M does.

And here is my Revised prediction:

Vince Redd-120
William and Mary- 0

:-P
Last edited by anberlinrawk on September 14th, 2007, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
It was KK that said it, not TwoFeathers.
By anberlinrawk
Registration Days Posts
edited.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Nice to see some people running smack on the board today. Sorry I missed it. I'm also sorry most of it was LU on LU violence.
(I was going to type 'Flame on Flame', but that sounded a little, ahem, not good.)
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
anberlinrawk wrote:
W and M could win 100 in a row against LU, but then this one time, when we have the talent, we have just as much of a shot at winning as W and M does.
Enter in video clip of Little Giants with Icebox saying One Time
By anberlinrawk
Registration Days Posts
YES!
By KaplanKrazies
Registration Days Posts
anberlinrawk wrote:That is one of the more irrelevant arguments, the past means nothing.
I agree. Unfortunately some people on here don't.
Beating a 3-8 team isn't.
what they are is a 3-8 team
Let's look at last year's stats between W&M and Liberty. LU rushed for 145 yards more than W&M, even with our top runner getting hurt 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter. He had 186 yards through 2+ quarters. He had 100 in the first half.

W&M is throwing the ball better this year, we all know that. Last year they didn't even throw for 100 against Liberty.

Liberty had the ball 12 minutes longer than W&M.

The thing is, Liberty left 10 points on the board by two missed FGs, a blocked FG, and a blocked PAT. With a new kicker this year, we don't have to worry about the misses as much. The kid you ran through W&M's defense like a knife through butter last year is back after a two game suspension and, unless he's horse-collared again, will likely run through W&M's defense again.

I'm not going to compare stats between the games so far this year because W&M played Delaware who is vastly superior to anyone Liberty has played. Liberty's played two DIIs and the stats are skewed both ways due to the offense playing against DII competition and the second team defense giving up yardage in garbage time.

Am I saying LU will win this game? No, I'm not. Liberty's OL has to step up to how it was last year (starting right tackle and team captain has been out the first two games) and we've got to get the passing game off the ground. Our secondary is improved, but W&M has a very, very good passing game. With that being said, Liberty has a very, very good running game. If LU is able to control the clock, and continue to improve the passing game, I think we have a great shot at winning this. The blowouts that people on here are predicting are funny. We're not little ole Liberty anymore. We've got one of the top coaching staffs in Virginia. We have the best operations center in the state, including the biggest weightroom in the state to go along with an NFL strength coach.

I'm not guaranteeing an LU win. If LU wins, I don't think it'll be a blowout. If W&M wins, it won't be a blowout. This should be a close game, and a lot better than many of you are expecting.
Anything before 2006 is null and void.
The past matters when it helps you flame fans make a point right? Otherwise it's "who cares about the past" or "who cares about the past because last year, since we went 3-5 against I-AA teams"(unless Sav. State is I-AA. May be wrong)
By anberlinrawk
Registration Days Posts
There is a difference between talking about the past and how it might relate to this game, and...

"When was the last time you guys beat us?"

Well, THIS exact team has never lost to your EXACT team.

So thats why your argument is irrelevant.

If you have a different QB than last time, then passing stats are irrelevant.

But if there is some sort of actual history, say such and such defender did well against such and such receiver, there is relevance to that.

But just making general, sweeping remarks, as if this were the MLB or NFL in the days of old, when you would play the same exact team for years in a row, is a bit outlandish.

SO what you said it not the same as what the other guys said.

You are still a 3-8 team.

There is not that big of a change in the roster to say "This is not a 3-8 team"

Will you get a better record than that?

I'm sure of it.

Do you deserve the title of "better than 3-8 yet"

No.

Why? You haven't won 3 games yet.

That is how the past is relevant, it is the only proof we have until YOU can prove us wrong.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:You keep talking about the App game from God knows when and W&M being good three years ago. Have you checked recent history? If you don't want people looking at us because of our past (1-10 ring a bell?) then you can't look at what other teams have done farther back than a year or two years ago. I'm not saying W&M sucks, but they're not these world beaters you people are talking about.
SuperJon wrote:"Win significance" should be on what the team has done lately at the time of the win. That's why Coastal can say they knocked off the #1 team in the country in JMU in 05. They don't have to mention that JMU wasn't JMU that year. They were #1 at the time. If W&M turns out to be good, then awesome, it'd be a great win. But right now, what they are is a 3-8 team with a 1-1 record. That's not what I consider "greatest win" in any category.
I never said the past didn't matter. The past does matter. However, you can only go back as far as a current recruiting class and/or current coach. With Liberty you can't go past 2006 because of the coaching change.
Last edited by SuperJon on September 14th, 2007, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By KaplanKrazies
Registration Days Posts
Sure. Fine. We can be 3-8 against a tough I-AA schedule, you guys can be 3-5 against an easy I-AA schedule.
By anberlinrawk
Registration Days Posts
which I guess can go both ways, we have to prove that we can beat you.

Thats why sports is so great.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
KaplanKrazies wrote:Sure. Fine. We can be 3-8 against a tough I-AA schedule, you guys can be 3-5 against an easy I-AA schedule.
Or 4-4 against a decent I-AA schedule. Way to try to dog us and get your facts wrong. We played 8 I-AA games last year. We won half of em.

Tell me another school in the country that went from zero wins to four.

Also, we can't help it that 3/4 of the schools around Virginia and the mid-Atlantic region have their heads so far up their butts that they won't schedule us due to what we stand for and who founded the school.
By anberlinrawk
Registration Days Posts
KaplanKrazies wrote:Sure. Fine. We can be 3-8 against a tough I-AA schedule, you guys can be 3-5 against an easy I-AA schedule.
and I can't disagree with that.
We have to prove everyone wrong, that we are not a 3-5/6-5 team. (or 4-4 as SJ pointed out)

But don't let strength of schedule get to your head, you are in that conference because you are SUPPOSED to be good enough to compete in it. So you went 3-8 against a schedule of teams that are at a level similar to that of your school and your conference, which is a superior conference to ours.
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]