Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Knucklehead wrote:If we get some really bad injuries to the line, you (SJ) paint a very bleak picture of the back-up line. If the reason we couldn't run against 2 dII schools is really the line injuries, then we will be in big trouble if there are ANY long term injuries. I would think our back-ups could push around some dII guys much better than you say. Yes, Eddie is a beast, but come on the depth at our level should be better than that.
I never said the backups were not good. I said that it takes time to build continuity on an offensive line, and that it's likely that different players were in at different times, meaning that the continuity wasn't there. We're very deep at OL. It's just a matter of the guys getting comfortable playing next to each other.
Knucklehead wrote:PS - Who was the sick as a dog receiver?
Wynton was sick as crap. He had a really bad stomach bug. I didn't find out about that until after the game from some people who saw him on the sidelines. That's why we had Calvary and Terrell back returning punts and why Wynton wasn't in on pass plays for a few series.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
RagingTireFire wrote:I'm a negative person. I admit it. It's a character flaw. But, at least, I have nothing on FlameFans.com.

We could win every game 400-0 and some of you guys would still be whining about how we won. I remember -- just two years ago -- struggling to beat a crappy Concord team and then bombing out the rest of the season. We got blown out by Norfolk State for crying out loud! Fast-forward a bit and now we've got "expectations" so high that not scoring 40 is considered unacceptable. "Expectations", by the way, that did not come from Rocco. He said we expect to be a better team and win the Big South. He did not say we expect to smoke every team on the schedule or that we expect to win the national championship. That crap came from you all on here. I talked to one of you morons yesterday who thought we should be airing it out to Wynton 50 yards downfield on every other play. Honestly, I don't know who has the more clueless message board geeks, us or VMI.

I'm going to go hang out in the Track forum for a while. There's a lot less whining over there.
Wow, I hope you feel better.

1 question, where did: "Good to Great" come from? I don't think it was Dox or Steve or any flamefans. :P
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote: The rest of you could care less about LU football.
the correct phrasing is "couldn't care less".
Last edited by LUconn on September 11th, 2007, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote:The rest of you could care less about LU football.
This coming from the guy who doesn't deem us good enough to waste his time to drive in for a game.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Knucklehead wrote:
PS - Who was the sick as a dog receiver?
Wynton Jackson. He had a virus according to Dr. Albers. I didn't want to report it during the game because Coach doesn't like to give up too much info to our opponents about status of injuries. Most of my injury reports in game will be generic or not talked about at all for things like this. But yes he was about to faint a number of times and I know he moved toward the trash can once but I looked away because I don't like to see what happens next if it did. It was amazing how well he played under those conditions.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote:On this thread it is the whiners and the negative ones (me included) that care the most about the program. We have reasonable expections ( I have been following LU football since 1980) so I have been around long enough to know what reasonable expections are and should be. The rest of you could care less about LU football.
Ridiculous comment!
I think I'm the voice of reason here stuck in the middle of those who think the team is perfect and those who think it is unacceptable.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I don't think we're perfect by any means but some of this criticism after winning by a combined 45 points is flat out ridiculous.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Negative comments aside for now, we are going to see the real LU team this Saturday and the next week. After that we can accurately make positive or negative comments based on what goes on at that time. For now we need to put it aside and realize that these first 2 games were just tuneups for the rest of the season. Maybe it is not in coach Rocco's interest to embarrass the heck out of these lower level teams. As someone stated we did win by a combined total of 45 points and that is good enough.
By RagingTireFire
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote: After that we can accurately make positive or negative comments based on what goes on at that time.
Is your full name Coach Steve? If not, what would you know from "accurate"?

We're 2-0 and the whiners are out in full force. Only at Liberty.

Why not Liberty? This crap is why not!
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote:On this thread it is the whiners and the negative ones (me included) that care the most about the program. We have reasonable expections ( I have been following LU football since 1980) so I have been around long enough to know what reasonable expections are and should be. The rest of you could care less about LU football.
This is so out of line and beyond ridiculous. If you care so much, please enlighten us as to what you've done to support the team this year. Donated to Flames Club? Bought season tickets? Started a fan forum? Started a fan website and spent countless hours blogging, editing video and uploading pictures just to build some hype around a team that you aren't even getting paid to promote?

All of the "positive people" here have done these things. They've put their money, time and effort where their mouth is. With such big talk, I sure hope you've done something on a similar level, otherwise you have absolutely no room to talk.

How dare you!
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Well said Schorchy!
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
El Scorcho wrote:
This is so out of line and beyond ridiculous. If you care so much, please enlighten us as to what you've done to support the team this year. Donated to Flames Club? Bought season tickets? Started a fan forum? Started a fan website and spent countless hours blogging, editing video and uploading pictures just to build some hype around a team that you aren't even getting paid to promote?

All of the "positive people" here have done these things. They've put their money, time and effort where their mouth is. With such big talk, I sure hope you've done something on a similar level, otherwise you have absolutely no room to talk.

How dare you!
Dude hasn't even been to a game. He doesn't know if we're good enough for him to waste his time yet.
By ludeal
Registration Days Posts
Rocco gave us those High Expectations, Good to Great, and he has told his team that a national championship is the goal for this team....... "Only at Liberty" are you serious, RTF you need to get the sand out of your crotch and realize that fans have the right to whine about the imperfections of their team, I personally am glad that we are 2 and 0, considering the past, but i definitely think that we have some serious issues, Rocco ( who does have coach before his name) said that he was disappointed with our first two weeks, so why shouldn't any one else be !
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:So we shouldn't show class and run up the score on everyone just for the playoffs? I don't think that's right. We still won by 21 one week and 24 another. Rocco's not going to embarrass a team. Oh yea, add to it that your QB got a stinger the week before and your top wide receiver is sick as a dog on the sidelines and you've got a pretty good reason to just run the ball.
"Taking it easy" on a team is probably the mentality that Michigan had before Appy came to town. You try your best on every play of every game. This isn't high school girls basketball, you know.

I've seen waaay to many improbable comebacks in my day to say something like a team never has a shot. Kick the crap out of them till the final siren.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
No one said to take it easy on them. What I said was, with a 28-7 lead, your QB coming off of a stinger, your WR sick, etc why go out and throw the ball up 70 times. Hand it off to the running backs, take time off the clock, try to sustain a drive, and get the game over with. The problem was we went 5 plays, 5 plays, 5 plays, 3 plays, 4 plays. Had we strung up a couple more plays to each drive, no one here would be complaining. No, wait, they still would be.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I have donated to the Flames Club ( I do it every year). I have bought season tickets in the past but not lately and occasionally attend a game in Lynchburg or any road game that is close such as last years Towson game. I do have family responciblilites now that I have not had when I have bought season tickets and don't have the expertise or the time to do what is on your "wish list" . Yes, I do have some issues with the football program but I try to be trueful and look positively toward the future. I don't think that I have said anything "out of line" and remember everyone is free to express an opinion on something good or bad. Obviously I have higher expectations than just winning the lousy Big South. I think that some of you are a little bit harsh on me today.
By RagingTireFire
Registration Days Posts
ludeal wrote:Rocco gave us those High Expectations, Good to Great, and he has told his team that a national championship is the goal for this team....... "Only at Liberty" are you serious, RTF you need to get the sand out of your crotch and realize that fans have the right to whine about the imperfections of their team
Blah blah blah. I wasn't talking to you, dealio, so back off. I'd be curious to know what makes you think Rocco told his team that a national championship was the goal, but that's another story.

My point is, this is the same level of whining now as when we were 3-5 last year and twice what it was when we we finished up 1-10. That's what puts sand in my crotch. You "fans" have no idea how good you've got it and absolutely no idea how good this team might end up being. Yet, here we are in Week frappin' 2 and you guys are busting the nuts off of everybody but the the trainers.

"This isn't good enough! That isn't good enough! The band isn't good enough! They're wearing the wrong shirts! We're doing the wrong things with the jumbotron! We didn't score 80! Blah blah blah pick pick pick b**** b**** b****!"
Well, boo-freakin-hoo.

Go on any other message board out there for any program in the country and you'll see "fans" that actually support what their programs are trying to do. Go over to the VMI board and check those guys out. They haven't had a winning season since the Reagan administration and, this year, they may have one of the worst teams in recorded history but you wouldn't know it judging by their "fans". Sure, they're clueless but no more clueless than some of the folks I've met on here. At least theirs' is constructive cluelessness.

So, yeah. Only at Liberty.
Last edited by RagingTireFire on September 11th, 2007, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By FlamingChick
Registration Days Posts
How about everyone just agree to disagree??? This forum exist so that all LU fans- Far and Near- can voice their opinions, right? It's ok to disagree and for others to state their objections to such disagreements, BUT we should still remain respectful of our fellow fans. Maybe not all of us have the extra time to put into blogging, promoting, etc---I'm sure that is a lot easier to do when you are a student, live near the 'burg and/or do not have other pressing obligations...Just b/c someone does not do those extra little things, or can't make the trip down to every single game, does not mean they are any less of a fan than anyone else on here...
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Yea, it's so much easier for Scorcho who works 40+ hours a week and has a kid.

Or Sly who lives in Houston and has three kids and still supports the crap out of this program and does stuff more than any of these other people.

Or Medic who is pulling double duty at work since his wife is pregnant.

Or HburgFlame who, while he hasn't been around as much this year, would routinely drive in from PA for games.

Or madmat who drives from Ohio every weekend to wherever we're playing after coaching on Friday night.

Or GMTM who works 50 hours a week on top of going to school and still has time to support the teams even beyond when he's working.

Or flafan who drove from freaking Florida for the Tusculum game.

Or some of the other parents we have on this board who drive from PA, Ohio, NC, Florida, Georgia, etc every single weekend know that, chances are, their kid is going to be on the sideline, but they still support him and still support his team.

Or Smoothie who has sank a crap load of money into us tailgating so that we can have a good time before games.

Or Scar who, even though he could get into every game with his media pass, still buys season tickets to football and basketball to support the program.

Or students like me, JDub, and Bryson who work our butts off all week in school and work just to afford dinner but still make sacrifices so that we can go to all of the games.

Yes, it's a lot easier for us.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
RagingTireFire wrote:
Stevev wrote: After that we can accurately make positive or negative comments based on what goes on at that time.
Is your full name Coach Steve? If not, what would you know from "accurate"?

We're 2-0 and the whiners are out in full force. Only at Liberty.

Why not Liberty? This crap is why not!
(laughing)
or Alabama, or Auburn (remember Tuberville almost got traded for Bobby Petrino?), or Notre Dame, or Michigan, or any other program that has passionate fans and expects to be winners. LU is not alone. I think all of this (both sides) is very healthy. At least people care about our program!
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
How about everyone just agree to disagree??? This forum exist so that all LU fans- Far and Near- can voice their opinions, right? It's ok to disagree and for others to state their objections to such disagreements, BUT we should still remain respectful of our fellow fans. Maybe not all of us have the extra time to put into blogging, promoting, etc---I'm sure that is a lot easier to do when you are a student, live near the 'burg and/or do not have other pressing obligations...Just b/c someone does not do those extra little things, or can't make the trip down to every single game, does not mean they are any less of a fan than anyone else on here...

Very well said and I agree 100% with those comments. Sometimes and maybe it is the way I say it it leaves me open for getting "ganged up upon" by those who disagree with my comments. What people don't realize is my personal schedule and responcibilities to my family and my wifes "ailing" parents. I have been an LU fan for over 20 years now so I think that my opinion is worth something considering the time I take to at least support and follow them. I am also 6 hours from the "burg". I am sure that others share the same opinion as me about things but I am the one that gets attacked. Can't figure that one out.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
FlamingChick wrote:How about everyone just agree to disagree??? This forum exist so that all LU fans- Far and Near- can voice their opinions, right? It's ok to disagree and for others to state their objections to such disagreements, BUT we should still remain respectful of our fellow fans. Maybe not all of us have the extra time to put into blogging, promoting, etc---I'm sure that is a lot easier to do when you are a student, live near the 'burg and/or do not have other pressing obligations...Just b/c someone does not do those extra little things, or can't make the trip down to every single game, does not mean they are any less of a fan than anyone else on here...
I think that you have misinterpreted my post.

Stevev stated that he cared more than everyone else on this board about LU football, and that people like me, Jon, etc. don't care about LU football at all. I listed all of those things to point out that if we didn't care, we wouldn't be doing them. It was in no way meant to say that if someone isn't doing things like that then they're not a fan. It was meant to point out that if we didn't care, we would be making significant investments of time, money and support.

I have no problems agreeing to disagree with someone on this board. However, for someone to say that ANYONE on this board doesn't care about LU athletics is preposterous. The 600+ members of this board care more about Liberty athletics more than just about anyone else in the world, aside from the players, coaches and athletic support staff. It was a rude, hostile and unnecessary thing to say and I think an apology is owed. Sorry if you think that's being too harsh on you Stevev, but I happen to think you took harsh to an entirely new level. It's one thing to criticize the football program, it is QUITE another to criticize a fellow fan's level of commitment.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote:

Very well said and I agree 100% with those comments. Sometimes and maybe it is the way I say it it leaves me open for getting "ganged up upon" by those who disagree with my comments. What people don't realize is my personal schedule and responcibilities to my family and my wifes "ailing" parents. I have been an LU fan for over 20 years now so I think that my opinion is worth something considering the time I take to at least support and follow them. I am also 6 hours from the "burg". I am sure that others share the same opinion as me about things but I am the one that gets attacked. Can't figure that one out.
I agree...but that doesn't give you the right to say the rest of us "could care less about LU Football" because that is completely not true...just because someone disagrees doesn't mean they don't care about LU athletics....I think that is the statement that really fired people up
By ludeal
Registration Days Posts
agreed RTF, we are much better than the past few seasons, so overall we all should be pleased with where our team is now, but that does not mean that we can not get on this board and make a few comments about what we would like to see done better next week, Rocco has made it clear in is post game interviews that he is not satisfied with our play in the first two weeks......
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]