Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I echo most everybody else's feelings. The offense still has a lot of work and looks very vanilla most of the game (which is why I don't believe Rocco when he says he's not holding back). The defense can be so dominant, but looked very average through much of the game. Special teams were disappointing too, I thought. Obviously, our punt return team not included because they are amazing. But our punt coverage was terrible. Do we keep stats on the opponents average return? It seemed like the dude got anywhere from 15-20 yards minimum.

edit: I just checked and they averaged 9.3 per return. I thought it would be more but it still seems like we should be smothing them more.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
So you guys are saying that the team played better than the band?
By RagingTireFire
Registration Days Posts
The Big South just named Wynton as the Special Teams Player of the Week for the 2nd week in a row. Rightly deserved.

Interesting stat: going back to last year, we have now returned a kick for a touchdown in each of our last 4 games with WJ being responsible for 3 of them.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote: ... it was a kinda bend but not break mentaility.
at the risk of repeating myself- I agree, and HATE THAT mindset (as I posted before)

bigsmooth wrote: the ship players were really tough as most PA football players are.
:shock: :shock: why, my dear SMOOTHIE, I believe that was an actual COMPLIMENT 8)
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:If we had a much larger band, one capable of energizing an entire stadium, I would want them to play 2001 for the team's run-out as well. But they aren't large, and they can't energize the whole stadium. (What SJ said.)

Furthermore, they were told, and refused to listen. (A constant problem, I think.) That's never good, and it really shows they're not much interetsed at all in contributing to the game atmosphere. They're more set in their minds toward being the reason people are there. And, that's just not possible.
It's not what SJ said. I actually understand and agree with what SJ said...you can only hear the band in half the stadium, so that's why they use the PA....I hand't thought of that, and I think he is right about playing it on the PA...

But as far as your quote...what did you really add exept what you have alread said, and again attacking the band for not being able to energize the whole stadium (the 3rd down train whistle that you play is so much better - that's meant to be sarcastic)

...the truth is the band is plenty loud enough to energize the side of the stadium they are playing to...it doesn't matter how large the band is...it could be even be the Blue Devils or Cadets...you can't hear them on the side they aren't playing to...that's why half they only fill half the stadiums at DCI events. I understand and accept SJ's answer. But I don't understand what you were trying to add except to pile on...
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
On a lighter note..

You think the shirts are bad this year...in '97 I think it was the band show was called SCREAM. And the shirts were white with a rainbow colored pyramid on them.

We traveled to the Delaware State away game...and I had a friend who was also in the band...he was engaged and going to get married soon. There was a furniture store across the street from where the band was staying.

My friend wanted me to go with him b/c he wanted to look at furniture...and we had some dead time so there was nothing else to do. The problem is...we're required to wear those shirts everywhere.

So me and him (two guys) start looking at furniture together with our rainbow colored pyramid shirts on. I think the salesman thought we were gay. Needless to say, I would've preferred a blue or red shirt to the white with rainbow pyramid :lol:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
yes, but did you get a good deal on the furniture?
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Evidentally, the furniture was a good deal.

As soon as I realized what I had walked into, I wanted to leave...or at least tell the salesman these were band shirts. But my friend (I think his name was Steve)...he was very intersted in the prices, and he had the salesman write them down on his card and it seemed like we were there forever...
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
hey man, whatever it takes :queen
By kevinrmcguire
Registration Days Posts
Hey everybody. I know I am a few days behind and I apologize. I was up at State College, PA for the Penn State-Notre Dame game Saturday night and took a day to recover on the couch watching the new big screen TV and NFL football. I stayed away form the online forums as well.

But I am not one who goes to a forum and leave immediately after my team loses. So let me congratulate you all on your recent victory over Shippensburg. I had little hopes of winning the game but it sounds, to me, as if my Red Raiders hung tough for a while. While you guys are seeming a little upset over a poor outing, I am thrilled with my squad. From this point on I would like to adopt Liberty as my 1AA team to follow for the rest of the season, and I wish you guys the best of luck the rest of the way.

I'll keep checking in to see how Liberty is doing. Maybe if Ship ever makes a trip to Liberty again I'll be able to make the trip. Who knows?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You are welcome here anytime, Kevin. Thanks for hanging with us.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Where are you from, Kevin? College... Etc? Curious, because I knew a Kevin McGuire.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
First game I've been to in about three years and was very impressed. The school spirit and fan support has defintely improved. Hats off to Barber and staff and the rest of the fans especially the groups on here that make it happen. It was odd seeing that many people tailgate along the road and tailgate up until midnight after the game. Alot of people are slamming the offense on here but I think they were just not digging deep into the playbook and trying out other plays. It was getting close when Ship was driving well their in the 4th and we intercepted and took it back for a TD, but I think we had control no matter what. The only complaints I had on this trip was the over-priced items in the bookstore. Not to sound like Grandpa Gustafason but whats up with a Liberty Flames pennant being sold for $18? I bought my Washington Nationals one at Oldtown for $3. Other than that though and not enough Jersey's for sell, I had a real goodtime at the game.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
haha, send a complaint somewhere. even though i work there, i agree. i can't afford half the stuff with my discount, which is significant
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Glad you were able to make it back. Any chance you are coming up for homecoming? If so I might be able to smuggle in some contraband Texan grub.

And what was Hoopsmalone's reax to your experience? :lol:

As for overpriced gear at college bookstores, tell me something that isn't the case at nearly college in America.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
jack_sparrow81 wrote:First game I've been to in about three years and was very impressed. The school spirit and fan support has defintely improved. Hats off to Barber and staff and the rest of the fans especially the groups on here that make it happen. It was odd seeing that many people tailgate along the road and tailgate up until midnight after the game. Alot of people are slamming the offense on here but I think they were just not digging deep into the playbook and trying out other plays. It was getting close when Ship was driving well their in the 4th and we intercepted and took it back for a TD, but I think we had control no matter what. The only complaints I had on this trip was the over-priced items in the bookstore. Not to sound like Grandpa Gustafason but whats up with a Liberty Flames pennant being sold for $18? I bought my Washington Nationals one at Oldtown for $3. Other than that though and not enough Jersey's for sell, I had a real goodtime at the game.
Best post in a while.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:
JK37 wrote:If we had a much larger band, one capable of energizing an entire stadium, I would want them to play 2001 for the team's run-out as well. But they aren't large, and they can't energize the whole stadium. (What SJ said.)

Furthermore, they were told, and refused to listen. (A constant problem, I think.) That's never good, and it really shows they're not much interetsed at all in contributing to the game atmosphere. They're more set in their minds toward being the reason people are there. And, that's just not possible.
It's not what SJ said. I actually understand and agree with what SJ said...you can only hear the band in half the stadium, so that's why they use the PA....I hand't thought of that, and I think he is right about playing it on the PA...

But as far as your quote...what did you really add exept what you have alread said, and again attacking the band for not being able to energize the whole stadium (the 3rd down train whistle that you play is so much better - that's meant to be sarcastic)

...the truth is the band is plenty loud enough to energize the side of the stadium they are playing to...it doesn't matter how large the band is...it could be even be the Blue Devils or Cadets...you can't hear them on the side they aren't playing to...that's why half they only fill half the stadiums at DCI events. I understand and accept SJ's answer. But I don't understand what you were trying to add except to pile on...

Note: I do not, nor have I ever, played a train whistle. In fact, I'm not sure they're doing that at football games anymore this year. I haven't noticed it.

My post was more to emphasize the fact that even if they were capable of playing their sound to the entire stadium (it is very possible with larger bands), they were classless in their choice to play it on Saturday night. They were directly told not to. And, I know for a fact two things:
1. I'm not the only one upset by it. (And, the others are far more important than I - athletic dept. administrators.)
2. It will not happen that way again, guaranteed.

We're just so close to behaving like a legit I-AA football program, and operating in a profesional manner, and the band continues to be a poor contributor to the overall game experience.
By kevinrmcguire
Registration Days Posts
grm wrote:Where are you from, Kevin? College... Etc? Curious, because I knew a Kevin McGuire.
I am originally from West Chester, PA. Went to school at Shippensburg University, graduated in 2005. Currently residing in Souderton, PA with my new wife. Went to high school at West Chester East High School. Was, still am slightly, a big band nerd. Brother of Kappa Kappa Psi, Lambda Delta chapter.

Any of that ring a bell?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
kevinrmcguire wrote:
grm wrote:Where are you from, Kevin? College... Etc? Curious, because I knew a Kevin McGuire.
Currently residing in Souderton, PA with my new wife.
Liberty currently has a women's soccer player who hails from Souderton.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
JK37...

TRUST ME...it doesn't matter the size of the band if they only play facing one side. That's why people suggested they put the band in the endzone. How large does a band have to be to be heard? What are your qualifications for judging marching bands?

My experience with band includes marching 4 years in highschool...I was 1st chair 1st trumpet PA Regionl/State band my senior year of HS in 1995...I marched 2 years in college...I was on the staff of a top 10 TOB band in Group 2 for one year...I participated in 2 camps with the Bluecoats Drum & Bugle Corps.

I've seen numerous highschool and college bands. 128 people can be louder that 300 depending on the instrumentation. And you couldn't hear a 300 memeber band very well if they were all playing facing away from you into a crowd of bodies. (now in an empty street off of buildings, maybe)...

Our band is plently loud enough to fill the side of the stadium that they play too. I think they may have been a little louder last year...I'm guessing that they had more people in the brass section last year, because they look a little larger this year, but sound a little softer...but still plently loud enough to fill the side of the stadium that they are facing.

I actually understand why you wanted 2001 played on the PA...but SJ was the one that convinced me that the PA was better.

I'm sorry that the band upset you by not obeying your authority. But remember...the football team has just been progressing for the past two years.

Back in the day, half the reason I would even stay for the blow-outs was to see the band.

But I still think that we have a very good band as far as amount of sound...look back at the Wake Forest thread from last year...people were impressed by LU's band. Go to the band competition at City Stadium and watch the reaction to LU's band...I think you'll be proud. Go to the college band gathering in Allentown and watch the crowd's reaction. The band today is much better than when I was in it, so it is progressing...

Most of the criticism is that they don't play enough, or they play at the wrong time, or I wish they had a dance dept. and colorguard instructor...those things are constructive critism...even obeying authority is constructive criticism...but saying that they are not talented, or not loud, seems incorrect. And I'm basing that on my experience in watching bands.

But to say, "They aren't large enough for the whole stadium to hear"...that's just an ignorant statement that is meant to put the band down b/c you're still mad that they played 2001.

Geez...I'm sorry they played your song...but I wish you wouldn't put the whole band down because of it...

But I give up now...let's move on and beat W&M.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
i think our band has a lot of potential. they are like almost everything else here, it has potential, it just needs put to good use. same for cheerleaders, jumbotron, etc. we covered that in another thread already, so i'm not going back there. hopefully someone high up will get the message and make a few small changes needed to really improve the atmosphere
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I have been to quite a few games in my time and I never thought that the band's performance was an issue and the same guy who directed way back in time is still in charge. I always thought that they were above average but not quite up the the what the Black colleges put out there or the big time program.s What is up with that. Is he slacking.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
To Kevin McGuire - the guy I knew was at Baptist Bible College in 1980-81. Not you, but nice to know you.

God bless!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:JK37...

I'm sorry that the band upset you by not obeying your authority. But remember...the football team has just been progressing for the past two years.

Back in the day, half the reason I would even stay for the blow-outs was to see the band.

But I still think that we have a very good band as far as amount of sound...look back at the Wake Forest thread from last year...people were impressed by LU's band. Go to the band competition at City Stadium and watch the reaction to LU's band...I think you'll be proud. Go to the college band gathering in Allentown and watch the crowd's reaction. The band today is much better than when I was in it, so it is progressing...

Most of the criticism is that they don't play enough, or they play at the wrong time, or I wish they had a dance dept. and colorguard instructor...those things are constructive critism...even obeying authority is constructive criticism...but saying that they are not talented, or not loud, seems incorrect. And I'm basing that on my experience in watching bands.

But to say, "They aren't large enough for the whole stadium to hear"...that's just an ignorant statement that is meant to put the band down b/c you're still mad that they played 2001.

Geez...I'm sorry they played your song...but I wish you wouldn't put the whole band down because of it...
Not my authority, not my song, and certainly wasn't me that was most upset by it. I also don't recall calling them untalented. What I did say was that by directly disregrding authority, they showed their true colors. And as for your wishes, the band director puts his whole band in a position to be put down, and their role at future football games minimized, when he asks them to play at moments when they are directly told not to. It's been a recurring problem over the past two years. But no worries - I believe its in the process of being dealt with.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

I really don’t care which way it goes - ju[…]

NMSU

Any info about the new incoming players to the p[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

OK, so the latest from ASOR says that Smith is com[…]

NFL’s trading rules, salary cap, and prof[…]