Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By JDUB
Registration Days Posts

By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
krh44 wrote:Offense needs to get more creative getting Terrell the ball other than running right up the middle.
You hafta remember that we haven't opened up the playbook for those "creative" plays yet because we didn't want to show anything to teams down the line.
In his post game press conference on WRVL Rocco commented that he isn't holding anything in the playbook back, i thought that same as you until i heard that.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Really though? There are plays that I saw last year that I haven't seen this year. I don't know if we scrapped em or what though. Then again, there may be specific plays that we only run if Rashad's in.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I can't imagine he has put in all the plays yet...that could just be coach talk...coaches say a lot of things they don't really mean
By FlameOn
Registration Days Posts
Why waste your trick play on Shippensburg. The normal plays worked fine. Save the tricks for the 1-AA teams.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Not necessarily trick plays, but some that are a little more complex. What have we showed other teams? We line up in the eye and run, we line up ace an run. We can go 3-4-5 wide and pass. Those are basic things.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That's true...I mean the only play we have run that isn't like a "standard play" was that counter stretch I referenced in another post. I know that we have the guys to run the end around and with Rashad coming back this week we can get creative with things like split backs and what not.
By gymrat.chic
Registration Days Posts
I was really excited to see the game on LBN last night, but whats up with the field? it looks really...pale.(?) The jumbotron looked pretty good on my screen though!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I think they addressed this after last week's game
By gymrat.chic
Registration Days Posts
On a thread? Could you direct me to it please?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
gymrat.chic wrote:On a thread? Could you direct me to it please?
http://flamefans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5812 (33rd post from the top is where the discussion starts)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
For BJ, and any others associated with the band. The decision to play "2001", just before its again played over the stadium's sound sytem, and in direct disregard for the athletic department's game managers (those in charge) was a classless and immature act. Until our band (which is very average in the first place) realizes that they are NOT what the vast majority of those in attendance are there to see, it will continue to be a black eye at our home events.

That said, I'm still happy y'all don't leave for the entire 3rd quarter anymore, and your sound for the evening was much improved. All that's needed is another major step up in professionalism - that's all.

As for the game, the prevalent desire to be extremely vanilla with our game plan (Rocco is a Paterno guy after all) is part of the reason our offense continues to be so ackluster. The combination of Rashad's retun and opening up the playbook a bit more will be a big help, I think. However, vanilla doesn't change execution, and Brock has got to start hitting open receivers, who in turn have to catch more of the passes that are accurately thrown.

Defense and special teams were very good.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
The GAME: Wynton Jackson does give us a spark...he's also scary sometimes...I always think he's going to fumble...but he magically hangs on to the ball while twisting 360 degrees.

Our offense needs to get better. Any word on Brock's injury? I think Brock played better this week. I'm surpised we didn't go with 2 backs and put Cheeks and Terrel in at the same time...we were sort of predictable.

Ship was killing us with the intermediate passing game, and some misdirections.

I'm scared of the W&M game...I think we can win...but it's scary.

As far as the band. I really like the band. Think they do great. Colorguard did much better it seemed to me tonight. Loved Maleguena...would like it if they played more stand music. Shirt color doesn't bother me.

As far as the #s history for the band...I can tell you what happened...in '96 the band was probably about at 100 members or so...then in '97, they put a new astroturf field down...and it was barely finished in time for the first game. At the time, LU didn't have a lot of practice fields available...so we did band camp at the baseball field...and then the band was basically told that we wouldn't have a field to practice on once school started.

So a some practices were cancelled...and sometimes Heritage would let us use their field...then the administration decided we could share the field with the football team...but it was a rough year...

...the band dwindled to 55 members...it almost didn't exist...also in 96 a girl named Amy I think died in a car accident in the band...think her initials werw AMH...also at that time they removed the "scholarship" that paid for the band credit...so actually to be in the band you had to pay for the credit and the activities fee....so it was something like $135 to join, which used to be covered by the "scholarship"...and then in 98 another bandmember passed away during practice...then I think it was in 99 that the band director left...and Dr. Kerr took over.

So the years from 97-99 were really rough with tragedy, more of a monetary cost, and a lack of a place to practice, ...and rebuilding had to be done tp get the band where it was today. Today's band seems to be almost 3x the size of the band in '96, so they're comming along greatly - I think Dr. Kerr does a great job...and they sound better than when I marched.

Hope that makes sense.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I agree about the band, and the "vanilla," but Brock didn't have a bad game last night. 11-17 isn't bad at all. Some things didn't click at times, but he still had a 65% completion percentage and threw for two TDs. The second half sucked, but this game wasn't on Brock.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
this looks abso-friggin-lutely fantastic! Hope I get the chance to see it in person yet this year

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:For BJ, and any others associated with the band. The decision to play "2001", just before its again played over the stadium's sound sytem, and in direct disregard for the athletic department's game managers (those in charge) was a classless and immature act. Until our band (which is very average in the first place) realizes that they are NOT what the vast majority of those in attendance are there to see, it will continue to be a black eye at our home events.
:shock:
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
JK37...I'd rather have the band play 2001 than hear it over the PA...that's the problem, we want the band to play more, not less!

It's stupid to plan to play a song over the PA if the band can play it, and is already in position. Is the band also still being told not to play when LU is on defense?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Jim, the band can play it, but only half the stadium can hear them when they play it. If you want to get the stadium pumped up, you don't play something that only half of the band can hear. We bought a new PA last year for a reason.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:...also at that time they removed the "scholarship" that paid for the band credit...so actually to be in the band you had to pay for the credit and the activities fee....so it was something like $135 to join, which used to be covered by the "scholarship.
Perhaps a band endowment should be in the works so that the band can issue full and partial scholarships to attract top tier talent, instead of relying on the pay to play model that has plagued Northeastern Scholastic sports due to town's underfunding their high school sports. :?:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If you have between 12 and 18 credit hours you pay the same rate. No one's "paying" to be in the band except for maybe a t-shirt or something.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:If you have between 12 and 18 credit hours you pay the same rate. No one's "paying" to be in the band except for maybe a aqua/blue/kinda teal t-shirt or something.
Fixed it for you... :twisted:
Last edited by Fumblerooskies on September 10th, 2007, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
You mean an aqua/blue/kinda teal t-shirt?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
If we had a much larger band, one capable of energizing an entire stadium, I would want them to play 2001 for the team's run-out as well. But they aren't large, and they can't energize the whole stadium. (What SJ said.)

Furthermore, they were told, and refused to listen. (A constant problem, I think.) That's never good, and it really shows they're not much interetsed at all in contributing to the game atmosphere. They're more set in their minds toward being the reason people are there. And, that's just not possible.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
my take on the game was brock as ok. as SJ said his line was not bad. we are still not clicking yet and hopefully with rashad and eddie coming back, things will improve. our special teams play was superb and our defense was average. it was a kinda bend but not break mentaility. the ship players were really tough as most PA football players are. overall a good game, and another good crowd, but we will need to play much better to win in williamsburg saturday. i know VMI is not that good but the tribe really rolled up some yardage and seemed to click on all cylinders.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]