Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By prototype
Registration Days Posts
My sources have found out about another possible Transfer.

This guy has his issues it sounds like, but is said to have a huge upside if he comes. I understand he is 3 times as good as any DL ever to play at Liberty and would tear up the Big South if he does indeed enroll.

Melvin Alaeze. DL from Maryalnd.

2 Years ago verbally committed to VT, then signed with Maryland. Sat out a year and then transfered to Illinois. Never played for them and is now rumored to be transferring again to LU. This guy was one of the top DL coming out of High School.

Can anyone else find out more info on him?
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
From the Illini football page:

High School: A two-year letterwinner and starter at Randallstown (Md.) High School ... Transferred from Calvert Hall after his sophomore season ... Saw action at defensive end, defensive tackle, tight end, fullback, tailback, punter and handled kickoff duties ... Posted 110 tackles, 18.5 sacks, and 30.5 tackles for loss as a senior ... Also ran for 351 yards and four touchdowns, caught 17 passes for 257 yards and four TDs while averaging nearly 40 yards per punt ... Registered 50 tackles and 16 sacks as a junior while rushing for one TD and catching another ... Earned nearly every honor imaginable as a senior ... A Parade All-American ... First team All-American by USA Today, consensus first team all-state and All-Metro Defensive Player of the Year (Baltimore Sun) ... Was ranked as the No. 1 defensive end in the country by ESPN.com's Tom Lemming and by Rivals.com ... Named to PrepStar's Top 100 Dream Team and was that publication's No. 19 player in the nation, regardless of position ... Named a SuperPrep All-American and Elite 50 selection who was that publication's second-rated defensive line prospect in the nation ... Rated the 13th-best player overall by Rivals.com ... Played in and was the defensive MVP of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl for the East squad ... A second team all-state selection who was also first team All-Metro (Baltimore Sun), all-division and all-county as a junior ... also competed two years in basketball ... Over 50 offers out of high school included Virginia Tech, Miami (Fla.), Southern California and Ohio State ... High school coach was Albert Howard.

Personal: Born May 25, 1987
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
This guy has his issues it sounds like
Vince Redd and this kid? We don't need to be taking kids with issues like this.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon???

Vince Redd and Alaeze. To compete - we have to take some chances. This would be the most heralded player out of high school to ever play here.

Rumor has it that Vince will be playing TE. ???That confuses me a little, but I trust Rocco???
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
what are his issues? His love of travel? His indecisiveness? Is he quitting these teams or being asked to leave?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
those other schools didn't have a cool logo being emblazoned on a mountain top so he left.

coincidently enough, we DO, so he decided to come here
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I haven't heard any discipline issues, just academic issues.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
that probably won't be an issue here.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
It all depends on his "issues." If they're disciplinary, we don't need this kid. We are a Christian University and have a reputation to uphold. If we start taking all of these kids with "issues" (assuming they're disciplinary) and claim we're "giving them a second chance" or some crap like that then every other school will see completely through it and will know that we're just taking these kids to get better.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
and how!
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I thought that Vince Rede was expected to move to linebacker not TE. Is he playing both sides of the ball.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I thought he was playing DE.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I heard that he could possibly move to linebacker from DE due to the 3-4 arrangement.
By qkslvrsrfrboy
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:those other schools didn't have a cool logo being emblazoned on a mountain top so he left.

very nice, wa wa we wa
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:those other schools didn't have a cool logo being emblazoned on a mountain top so he left.

Your funny for a short guy!!

Hey do we wanna win or do we want character??? Right now these two will have a hard time coexisting (can't coexist?) So give me WINS!!! Academics will "miraculously" take care of themselves!! (Trust me on this one. I have first hand knowledge!)
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: Academics will "miraculously" take care of themselves!! (Trust me on this one. I have first hand knowledge!)
And if they don't, they will replace them with someone who will.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Amazing how this "character issues vs. our standards" debate crops up every time we get a transfer athlete but never when Johnny Pedestrian enrolls off the street. I wonder how many people on this board wouldn't have stirred this argument up when we enrolled at LU.
And, SJ, I think you're out of line to harp on Redd here. I can understand your apprehension before he got here but, since Vince has been here, he's done everything that's been asked of him. As far as I'm concerned, so long as any student (1) keeps themselves in good academic standing, (2) complies with the standards of the university and (3) is not currently wanted for a crime, I don't care what issues they might have had somewhere else, whether the kid is an athlete or not.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Amen, Lib. Unless its being kept a very tight secret it appears Vince has gotten his act together and I'm thrilled we can be a part of it. And Coach Rocco did mention in one of the recent transfer stories that Vince would eb seeing time at TE. Whether that is exclusively his position or just a way for us to get him on the field more is yet to be determined publicly.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LIB - You are comparing two different situations. LU does not make it a policy to recruit, for lack of a better term and in no way meant to be derogatory, "character challenged" individuals for their student Gen Pop. We do take a different stance when it comes to "What can they do for us?" athletes. Not saying it is right or wrong, just saying that is how it is. Sure there are Gen Pop students who are here b/c their parents made them go, or the cost of the education was too good to pass up BUT they do not stand in front of Thousands (or in the current BB state SCORES) of people representing LU. Those students go about their daily lives with their daily burdens and unless they DO something to put them on the stage they can anonomously pass through the hallowed halls of LU. When you are an athlete you are on the stage and looked at under a microscope. Just like you would if you were say the son of the Campus Evangelist or something.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Lib, I have given credit to Redd every place anyone has mentioned him. I did on AGS yesterday. I wasn't saying he's a horrible person because I know that he is anything but. I was saying that bringing in these kids with "disciplinary" issues can sometimes get a school like us in trouble.

I have Theology with Redd this semester. I have not heard a single bad word about him since he got on campus. I was talking perception earlier.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:LIB - You are comparing two different situations. LU does not make it a policy to recruit, for lack of a better term and in no way meant to be derogatory, "character challenged" individuals for their student Gen Pop.
Three words: BR Lakin Scholarship. The western half of my freshman hall was affectionately known as "The Hood". The eastern half was called "The Cellblock".

And they aren't different situations at all b/c "the situation" is not about recruitment, it's about admissions. How many of our master debaters have had "issues" before they got here? How about the Sounds? How many of our professors for that matter? I don't know and neither do you. Furthermore, I don't care and, by and large, neither does anyone else. But, if the kid's an athlete, well never mind that this is a great place to get your life straightened out! Instead, the university is suddenly working some sort of double-standard that doesn't apply to the general populace when, in fact, a fairly large percentage of our student body as well as our alumni base -- myself included -- are people who benefitted from that same "double standard" and never even came close to putting on an LU uniform.

The sign out in front of the campus reads : "Changing Lives One Degree At A Time". The real question here is, do we truly believe that? Is LU in the business of preparing people to live from Christ's perspective out in the real world or are we just a quaint little finishing Christian school a la Bob Jones? And does it really matter what it looks like to anyone on the outside?
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Lib, I have given credit to Redd every place anyone has mentioned him. I did on AGS yesterday. I wasn't saying he's a horrible person because I know that he is anything but. I was saying that bringing in these kids with "disciplinary" issues can sometimes get a school like us in trouble.

I have Theology with Redd this semester. I have not heard a single bad word about him since he got on campus. I was talking perception earlier.
I'll give you that. It's just that, as hard as that kid has worked since he's been here, I hate to see him denigrated -- intentionally or not -- for whatever problems he might have had before.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
And they aren't different situations at all b/c "the situation" is not about recruitment, it's about admissions. How many of our master debaters have had "issues" before they got here?
Good points...although I had to read that word pair a second time.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
has anyone seen vince's new hair cut. WOW!! :shock: he seems to be shaping up just fine.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
we have another one. CHRIS JOHNSON!! DE from UVA
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]