Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Ill get excited if we get to 5-0. 4 tough games. UTEP is going to be much improved. NMSU, I'm not sure with all their departures, ECU will be sky high to beat us and App State on the road.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I'm not as tied into UT as I used to be when I covered them for years but my Texas Ex wife would certainly have me engaged,
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 16th, 2024, 3:50 pm my Texas Ex wife would certainly have me engaged,
What??? :denied
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: April 16th, 2024, 10:37 pm
Sly Fox wrote: April 16th, 2024, 3:50 pm my Texas Ex wife would certainly have me engaged,
But all my exes live in Texas
And that's why I hang my hat in Tennessee :lol:
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: April 16th, 2024, 10:37 pm
I was waiting for the correction…
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the University of Texas at Austin are referred to formally as Texas Exes.

But George Strait appreciates your recollections.
By cruzan_flame13
Is LU getting any new uni's or are we stuck with what we've had for awhile. It may not matter to many older supporters here, but it definitely matters to the younger crowd, mostly Gen Z folks.
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: May 28th, 2024, 8:17 pm Is LU getting any new uni's or are we stuck with what we've had for awhile. It may not matter to many older supporters here, but it definitely matters to the younger crowd, mostly Gen Z folks.
There's really no reason to change what we have (other than to have the reds match the blues & whites). Just as there was no real reason to change from the Turner Gill uniforms to what we have now. But allegedly, there's some new uniforms coming this fall. Probably will match the boring script and Sparky stickers that they used late last season. I'm guessing we'll incorporate sissy blue as well.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
There doesn’t have to be a reason. When he said it was for the younger generation, he was throwing logic and reason out the window. :lol:
LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I recall a team in ACC several years ago that lost a couple of games, because the fanbase got to worrying about what uniforms they were wearing, and it spilled over to the players. As long as Liberty wins, why should anyone care what uniforms they wear.
JK37 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Gametimes and TV schedule has dropped ...

A Sea of Red Story

CBS Network loves them some Flames picking five of our games for their linear CBS Network. ESPN2 picked up the NM State game and has dibs on the East Carolina & WKU games as possibilities for their linear nets as well.
TH Spangler, LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
I might 've missed it, but has anyone heard or know when Fan Day is next month?
By jmclaughlin
Simply put, I cant wait for August 31st!
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: July 31st, 2024, 7:47 am We basically made the list for easiest schedule in the country.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... dules-2024

I don’t know that I like those optics but it does mention that our schedule gives us a good shot at the playoffs.
As it stands now, we have 1, 2 & 1 openings on a our schedules through2027. Hopefully, we can sign P4's for those at minimum top tiered G5's. IMO, CUSA still has some teams that are weak enough that we should forgo any FCS teams for now. 13-0 to the CFP every year is unsustainable and horrible game plan.
Dalegarz1 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I don’t think it’s a horrible plan, I just do t think we can count on 13-0 to get us there. But winnable P4’s won’t schedule us. And the other top G5’s proved last year that losing to a P5 does not outweigh going 13-0.

It’s tricky!
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 31st, 2024, 1:42 pm I don’t think it’s a horrible plan, I just do t think we can count on 13-0 to get us there. But winnable P4’s won’t schedule us. And the other top G5’s proved last year that losing to a P5 does not outweigh going 13-0.

It’s tricky!
It is horrible, foolish, and again, unsustainable. I don't care how good of a coaching staff and team we have, going 13-0 every year is very hard to do, even in the perceived weakest conference in FBS. Obviously, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, I only know what I read. But we need to figure out how to improve our SoS, for rankings, viability, and fan support retention.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I don’t disagree with everything after your first sentence.

I don’t like it. And I agree 100000000000% that it’s very hard. But you have to play the hand your dealt. And coaches know that. Admins don’t like it.

But if better teams won’t play you, what other choice do you have? I’m not going to sit here and state emphatically that it is “unsustainable”. It’s not ideal. It’s hard. It’s really good that at least some fans (like you) acknowledge that 13-0 is an incredible feat.

“Something has to be done” is not a solution. And if you think Ian and Mickey and Jamey aren’t doing their best to change it, you’re delusional.
By LUOrange
Registration Days Posts
No one doubts their efforts or the difficulty, but it's very hard to believe that all 72 power schools will not play us at all. It comes across to me that the schools they want to play won't play us. But the "something that has to be done" might just need to be eliminating FCS opponents and putting a greater emphasis on top tiered G5's. What is unsustainable, is going 13-0 every year in order to make the CFP or an upper tiered Bowl game. Quite obviously it's impossible.

Obviously, I could be complete wrong in my constructive criticism and concerns. But without any elaboration and transparency, reasonable doubt is all that remains in the minds of alumni, fans, and customers.

I consider myself to be among McCaw, Gurridy & Chadwell's biggest fans. I hope and pray that they all retire at Liberty. But, IMO to not question the job anyone does and/or try to hold them accountable (as much as a fan, customer, and alumnus can do on social media/message boards) is "delusional."
By Ill flame
I don't find it that difficult to believe all 72 P4 teams don't want to play us. Most of them already have their schedules filled out for the next few years. Many of the ones that don't have full schedules plan to fill their open date with a FCS or another P4 school. That leaves very few P4s that are actually looking for a G5 game. And of course when P4s look for a G5 opponent, one of the first things they take into consideration is location. If they can play a somewhat regional G5 opponent they are going to rather than bringing in someone else from halfway across the country.

Sometimes I go back and forth on what the best scheduling strategy is. I'm generally a fan of playing the toughest schedule possible in all sports but with the CFP the way it is, we will have to be undefeated even with a weak P4 on the schedule. I look at Boise states scheduling strategy over the last 20 years and they made their name beating up on cupcakes during the regular season before pulling off big upsets during bowl season. Once they moved to MWC and started scheduling two tough P5 games a year is when they plateaued.
LUOrange liked this
Liberty vs Campbell Predictions

The way this game is going, all of you are wrong[…]

Game #1: Campbell

The unsportsmanlike penalties are totally unaccept[…]

Games To Watch: Week 1

VT is a joke program. Can’t beat the worst[…]

Everything happens for a reason. When one door[…]