Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jmclaughlin
Anyone know when the 2024 CUSA Schedule will be unveiled? Couldn't find any hint of a release on the inter-webs
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I'm waiting for the release as well. Hoping to finally be able to visit New Mexico this year, which will make it the 44th state that I have been to.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I would suspect that we would get the schedule this week. The unbalanced schedule is more complicated without the easy round robin of a year ago. Then you add in Kennesaw needing to finish buying out their contracts and the last week of January doesn't seem unreasonable.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Only 2 more days left in January, and still nothing. I HAVE TRAVEL PLANS TO MAKE!!!!!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 30th, 2024, 4:57 pm Will be released Thursday at high noon., according to source.
Would that source be the Conference USA Twitter feed???
By BlueBlood
Sat., Aug. 31 vs Campbell
Sat., Sep. 07 at New Mexico State*
Sat., Sep. 14 vs UTEP*
Sat., Sep. 21 vs East Carolina
Sat., Sep. 28 at Appalachian State
Wed., Oct. 09 vs FIU*
Wed., Oct. 23 at Kennesaw State*
Wed., Oct. 30 vs Jacksonville State*
Sat., Nov. 09 at Middle Tennessee*
Sat., Nov. 16 at UMass
Sat., Nov. 23 vs Western Kentucky*
Sat., Nov. 30 at Sam Houston*
By BlueBlood
So, if I'm reading that correct,

3 home Saturday games in Aug/Sept (Campbell, UTEP and East Carolina)

Then, no home Saturday games until Nov. 23 vs Western Kentucky (which, without looking, I'm going to guess is after students are on Thanksgiving break).

So, for us out-of-towners - its looking like Aug/Sept or bust.
By jmclaughlin
Not pumped about this schedule
As a Texan, not getting La Tech in Ruston is a big disappointment.
3 strait Wednesdays ?
Also, no home game for the November CFAW?

Boo
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Looks like there are no short turnarounds this year. We get 1 full bye week and two mini bye weeks. Hopefully that helps reduce injuries down the stretch.
ATrain liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, the La Tech game being our missed opponent really stinks. That was one of our two driveable games here in Texas. But I am really looking forward to the season finale in Huntsville!
jmclaughlin liked this
By BlueBlood
jmclaughlin wrote: February 1st, 2024, 1:56 pm Not pumped about this schedule
As a Texan, not getting La Tech in Ruston is a big disappointment.
3 strait Wednesdays ?
Also, no home game for the November CFAW?

Boo
Yeah, those Wednesday games are a killer for those wanting to attend games. Last year I made the Thursday night game and just made it an extra-long weekend in LYH. Wed is a bridge too far.

Also, sucks that LU has 2 home Wed games. I notice that some of the schools only have one. I don't mind the road games being on weekdays nearly as much.

Agree - CFAW is a big lost opportunity. Lots of kids fall in love with LU during football weekends (including my own).
jmclaughlin liked this
By sstaedtler
We are routinely being made fun of for our weak schedule for the 2nd year in a row. Two years with no Power Fives is terrible. Ian better fix 2025 and 2026. We also should not have a stone cold rule that we only play one P5 a year. What if that P5 cancels like Wake did? WKU had two P5's and one canceled, but at least they had the other one remaining.

Yes, we have App. State this year, but last year we had 7 home games and no FCS teams last year. So in some ways this year's schedule may even look worse with only home games, one being an FCS team and two being on Wednesdays. And WKU happens when students are on break.
LUOrange, ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
If I were really ambitious, I could try to make every game. However, I do plan on attending the home games and also making the trek down to App State and out to NM State. Middle Tennessee is definitely within range, and UMass is as well, but doubt I'm going to actually go. No real desire to go to Sam Houston We Have A Problem State.
By AATL
ATrain wrote: February 1st, 2024, 5:56 pm If I were really ambitious, I could try to make every game. However, I do plan on attending the home games and also making the trek down to App State and out to NM State. Middle Tennessee is definitely within range, and UMass is as well, but doubt I'm going to actually go. No real desire to go to Sam Houston We Have A Problem State.
Props to you for braving Boone.
By AATL
The schedule is fine. Not great, not bad; fine. I know it stinks to get dinged (including by the CFP committee) for not playing a P5, but we saw the talent gap between Liberty and a top 5-ish program in the Fiesta Bowl and I also (as a fan) don't find playing .500ish P5 teams particularly rewarding.

Honestly, I love the regional rivalries and I'm excited for App State and ECU. I'm all for the JMU/APP/CCU/ECU/ODU/Marshall-type games. Plus, WKU at home could be a meaningful game late in the season and Jax State should be a worthwhile home game.
ATrain liked this
By Tnobes
BlueBlood wrote: February 1st, 2024, 3:16 pm Just noticed that LU did align the Sept 2024 CFAW with the East Carolina game. So, at least that is good.
If someone was visiting liberty, how highly do you recommend the CFAW? Over just a regular tour and spending the weekend on campus some other time? Does it make a huge difference?
By tyndal23
AATL wrote: February 1st, 2024, 10:51 pm The schedule is fine. Not great, not bad; fine. I know it stinks to get dinged (including by the CFP committee) for not playing a P5, but we saw the talent gap between Liberty and a top 5-ish program in the Fiesta Bowl and I also (as a fan) don't find playing .500ish P5 teams particularly rewarding.

Honestly, I love the regional rivalries and I'm excited for App State and ECU. I'm all for the JMU/APP/CCU/ECU/ODU/Marshall-type games. Plus, WKU at home could be a meaningful game late in the season and Jax State should be a worthwhile home game.
Except for the fact we didn’t get dinged by CFP last year for not playing a P5. They were the only “poll” that didn’t ding us. An anomaly - probably. Good news is we play two “brand name” G5 teams early. Plus half the lazy press will give just us credit for last year ( plus our returning offensive Corp ) should be a big leg up early weeks in poll vs last year. The anti LU bias will come as soon as first loss or “bad score” and trying to get a more darling G5 to leap frog us. Bad news is App St and ECU also play each other canceling one of them out - ideal would be Sunbelt champ App St playing ACC champ Clemson tough or winning and LU beating App St.

Teams to watch early

AAC
USF
https://fbschedules.com/2024-usf-football-schedule/

Brutal. Maybe if they upset 1 and play 2 of those decent...maybe. I think their season is over by end of September - but kudos on the schedule.

Tulane

https://fbschedules.com/2024-tulane-football-schedule/

New staff - meh. However KSU loses to G5 teams more often than not, OU dang near lost last time they played Tulane - plus they have a ton of media juice after last year.

UAB

https://fbschedules.com/2024-uab-football-schedule/

P5 Arkansas ( probably favored in that one ( kidding )
2 loss champ and it will be an SMU debate of last year...if they beat AR and win AAC even with 2 losses -tough out.

Mountain West ( my prediction is G5 Rep comes from this conference)

Air Force

https://fbschedules.com/2024-air-force- ... -schedule/

P5 - Baylor / Oregon St. ( will still have the cache of P5 even if they aren’t ).

Fresno St.

https://fbschedules.com/2024-fresno-sta ... -schedule/

P5 - Michigan, UCLA, Washington St.

UNLV (sneaky good winnable/upset schedule

https://fbschedules.com/2024-unlv-football-schedule/

SDSU

https://fbschedules.com/2024-san-diego- ... -schedule/

MAC - it is what it is...

So in short - beat App St. - keep the foot on the pedal - probably better odds on paper than last year was. Most of G5 typical power houses have brutal non con schedule...I will let the resident Boise St fan chime in on their odds ( and whine I left them off ). With landscape in CFP - most likely a new team emerges like LU did last year....going undefeated ( even) in CUSA back to back - a whole other topic.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 12:59 am
BlueBlood wrote: February 1st, 2024, 3:16 pm Just noticed that LU did align the Sept 2024 CFAW with the East Carolina game. So, at least that is good.
If someone was visiting liberty, how highly do you recommend the CFAW? Over just a regular tour and spending the weekend on campus some other time? Does it make a huge difference?
CFAW is great because there is a lot more to do for visitors considering LU. But if you plan properly with enough activities on another weekend, you could make that work.

CFAW attendees probably still stay in dorms. That would be the one trick hard to duplicate in a random weekend not CFAW.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Definitely thinking Boone. Probably stay down the mountain in Hickory. Great steak place
ATrain liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hoc[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]