Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Ross Dellenger just published the following: https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-proposing ... 1tz8QvzGC3

An excerpt:
NCAA president Charlie Baker is planning to introduce this week a proposal to create a new subdivision within Division I that grants certain schools more autonomy around policy-making and permits them to compensate athletes in a new and profound way. In a letter sent to Division I members, and obtained by Yahoo Sports, Baker outlines a groundbreaking and radical change to the NCAA Division I athletics model, describing it as a “new forward-looking framework.” According to Baker’s proposal, schools that choose to be part of the new subdivision — they can opt in or out — are required to meet a strict minimum standard rooted in athlete investment. Members of the new subdivision will be permitted to strike name, image and likeness (NIL) deals with their own athletes — a significant move away from the current NIL structure. However, the most impactful benefit of this new model is a framework in which schools can directly compensate athletes through a trust fund. Schools within the new subdivision will be required to distribute to athletes thousands of dollars in additional educationally related funds without limitation.
The TLDR:
  • Schools could directly compensate athletes through a trust fund
  • Schools can opt in or out.
  • There would be a minimum required investment of $30k per year per athlete for a minimum of 50% of countable athletes. Title IX still applies, so 50% of the investment must go to female athletes
  • The implication is this will cause a formal split between the haves and the have-nots; namely, the P5/P4
The NCAA website lists 350 Division 1 schools providing opportunities for "over 190,000 student athletes." With that assumption:

190000 student-athletes / 350 programs = an average of roughly 542 athletes per school.
The required minimum is $30k per athlete per year for 50% of countable athletes.
271 athletes x $30k = appx. $8.1 million per year minimum
First off, JMU barely can afford to be FBS with their student fees. So they would definitely be a no go. In fact, Notre Dame has been fairly vocal the past few years that they have no intention of going this route. So even the Irish would pass.

Yes, this would likely render many league contracts null and void. Of course, leagues could make the decision to move en masse to this new structure and any left behinds would likely be allowed out of their GoRs.
Sly Fox wrote: December 5th, 2023, 1:20 pm First off, JMU barely can afford to be FBS with their student fees. So they would definitely be a no go. In fact, Notre Dame has been fairly vocal the past few years that they have no intention of going this route. So even the Irish would pass.

Yes, this would likely render many league contracts null and void. Of course, leagues could make the decision to move en masse to this new structure and any left behinds would likely be allowed out of their GoRs.

I threw JMU in to be nice. Big 10 and SEC teams all stay ( MIss St types - what else are they going to do ? They just have to use more of their TV $ towards athletes ). Where it gets messy is poorer Big 12 / ACC schools operating off of much smaller TV contracts. But even if LU “opts in” - won’t a Conference need to take us in that scenario? Maybe this is the shortcut we needed for Power Status.
I really don't like the direction college sports are going but it's not all bad. Financially we are one of the "haves" and would be one of less than 20 G5 schools that could afford to opt in as things stand. This looks like it could be our backdoor way into the P5. Based on this report I assume all P5s would opt in along with most AAC and MWC schools. I don't think any sunbelt, cusa or Mac schools could afford it.
Kricket wrote: December 5th, 2023, 3:03 pm
Ill flame wrote: December 5th, 2023, 2:50 pm I really don't like the direction college sports are going but it's not all bad.
Yeah, the NCAA video game is coming back in summer 2024 because of NIL so there’s a plus! :lol:
I'm excited for that game. When the last NCAA football game came out we were a middling big south team that wasnt in the game, now we're the top G5. A lot of people that love the video games but don't really keep up with cfb are going to be confused.
Kricket liked this
Ill flame wrote:
Kricket wrote: December 5th, 2023, 3:03 pm
Ill flame wrote: December 5th, 2023, 2:50 pm I really don't like the direction college sports are going but it's not all bad.
Yeah, the NCAA video game is coming back in summer 2024 because of NIL so there’s a plus! :lol:
I'm excited for that game. When the last NCAA football game came out we were a middling big south team that wasnt in the game, now we're the top G5. A lot of people that love the video games but don't really keep up with cfb are going to be confused.
I don't play videogames anymore because I'm getting too old, but I will be coming out of retirement for that game. KSalt is going to be like a cheat code! I bet the program in dynasty mode won't know that conferences shouldn't invite us, so it's possible after a year or two we could be P4.

Shoot, I wonder if NIL will be part of recruiting in the game... I feel like this topic needs it's own thread...
Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]