Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 1st, 2024, 10:41 pm The question is, will LU establish a trust fund for athletes? They want to get back to this national level again in the CFP right? They wouldn't want to get embarrassed like this again right? We need to get better players right? Something to think about :lol:
Are you referring to that recent proposal that creates a new subdivision? If so there's no doubt in my mind we'll opt in.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
Props to Oregon. They are absolutely one of the best teams in the country and I will not be shocked if we watch them in the CFP several times while Lanning is there. I'll place my bet now they win the B1G next year. It's one thing for Liberty to compete with top-end talent at a handful of positions; it's entirely another to have freak-athlete depth at every position like they do.

If this game is played ten times, I don't think the Liberty offense only musters 6 points in many of them. The offense never had the opportunity to settle into the smooth rhythm we've seen this year, both from mistakes and a superior opponent. Speed killed too; scrambles with video game moves and CJ Daniels out high-pointing DBs don't work the same when you turn the difficulty level up to what Oregon presented.

Still, immensely proud (even as a lowly fan) of this team. 13-1, undefeated in the regular season, and many, many memorable athletes and moments along the way. We might not see that again for a while, so I will relish it greatly and remember this season with a smile. Congratulations to the student athletes, HCJC, and the staff.

I challenge you to name a six year-old FBS program with better successes, resources, and vision for the future. The future is bright for Liberty football :D
Dalegarz1 liked this
AATL wrote:Props to Oregon. They are absolutely one of the best teams in the country and I will not be shocked if we watch them in the CFP several times while Lanning is there. I'll place my bet now they win the B1G next year. It's one thing for Liberty to compete with top-end talent at a handful of positions; it's entirely another to have freak-athlete depth at every position like they do.

If this game is played ten times, I don't think the Liberty offense only musters 6 points in many of them. The offense never had the opportunity to settle into the smooth rhythm we've seen this year, both from mistakes and a superior opponent. Speed killed too; scrambles with video game moves and CJ Daniels out high-pointing DBs don't work the same when you turn the difficulty level up to what Oregon presented.

Still, immensely proud (even as a lowly fan) of this team. 13-1, undefeated in the regular season, and many, many memorable athletes and moments along the way. We might not see that again for a while, so I will relish it greatly and remember this season with a smile. Congratulations to the student athletes, HCJC, and the staff.

I challenge you to name a six year-old FBS program with better successes, resources, and vision for the future. The future is bright for Liberty football :D
So, I'll challenge you on a few of these. First, Oregon is really good, and their two deep would start anywhere in the country. However, not sure they'll be AS good next year with Bo Nix leaving. Second, I think our offense was in rhythm in the first quarter. We mixed it up well between run and pass and we got Bedgood and Cooley going. CJ Daniels had a great catch down the sideline on a back shoulder throw where he high pointed a catch over the Oregon DB for a 20 yd gain. Did we make some mistakes after that? Yeah, we did, but we also had some drives literally killed from non-calls that were blatantly missed. It wasn't Oregon stopping us in the 1st Qtr and part of the 2nd. Once we get behind 24-6 you could see the team start to get demoralized.

Agreed on everything else. Hard to not call this season a WILD success even though this was a tough loss. I just hope the coaches are able to build off of it.
JK37 wrote:Getting manhandled like LU did, I’m afraid what it does for CFP prospects in the next few years. Go undefeated again next year, and it will be harder to get in. LU missed a chance to grow in respect as the top G5.
I know this was a topic of debate in the X-sphere, but I was of the opinion that it would be better for us to go undefeated and get left out of the NY6 spot and subsequently destroy whatever other G5 or mid P5 team we got stacked up against vs. getting blown out in a NY6 game. I was in the minority on that, but I'm curious how people think about it now that it came to fruition, and we got blown out by 39 points on national TV?
Reflecting on this game, I didn't think our offense looked that overmatched. Our o line seemed to hold their own and we ended up rushing 28 times, averaging 6 yards per rush for a total of 168 rushing yards. The only team that rushed for more rushing yards against oregon was texas tech with 174 yards on 32 attempts. Where we struggled the most on offense was our passing game, specifically our receivers. CJ Daniel's was the only receiver that could get any separation against those Oregon DBs and it showed in the boxscore with him having 8 of our 15 receptions. Fortunately thats one area chadwell has prioritized and we should be more talented at that position group next year.

Defense is where we were overmatched everywhere. Honestly I'm not sure there is much to learn there. Oregon probably has the best offense in the country so we were going to give up a lot of points no matter what but that was tough to watch. Our D Line couldn't get pressure against G5 cupcakes so no surprise that it was more of the same there and they were running circles around our linebackers and secondary. We've got more talent coming so I like to think we'll be better everywhere on defense next year but I'm not sure, a lot will happen between now and September. I don't expect to have a defense that will stop Oregon next year but I'd really like to look competent against G5 offenses next year.

I don't want it to be all negative though. This was a special season and honestly I liked this outcome way more than the alternative SMU received getting beat by a 6-6 ACC school. I remember Ian McCaw mentioning flames club memberships are up due to this bowl game and I'm sure we saw an increase in NIL money. This was only year one of the chadwell era at this rate I can't imagine what year 4 will look like.
Kricket, Dalegarz1 liked this
JK37 wrote: January 1st, 2024, 9:31 pm Getting manhandled like LU did, I’m afraid what it does for CFP prospects in the next few years. Go undefeated again next year, and it will be harder to get in. LU missed a chance to grow in respect as the top G5.
I agree with this 100%. We missed an opportunity for sure. I think it will be very hard for us to get in the CFP next year even with the assumption of being undefeated. Truthfully we had a perfect storm of things occurring to allow us to get in this year. But there are a few reasons I don’t think it’s as unlikely as it seems.

We made the Fiesta Bowl more out of the committee being forced than them thinking we were great. Who else could have been chosen? SMU and Tulane both lost to average teams. Almost every team whining about us lost their bowl game to average teams.

The truth is we were the best G5 and I think they may still think that even after our loss. I think the committee knew there wasn’t a strong G5 which is why we got the nod even with our obvious struggles on defense and kicking.

What happened this year seems like a perfect storm for us to get in a NY6 bowl, but I think we will see a weakening of the AAC and no obvious marquee team in the Sun Belt or MWC along with an improving C-USA. Combine that with a Liberty team that will be even better all around with transfers coming in.

Will the committee want to put us in a CFP? No, especially not after this Oregon game. They didn’t want us in this year, really. But there will be years that we look dominant with no other obvious competition. We also may have a P5 on future schedules if we can move things around. Think, this years perfect storm but more perfect. :lol:

Perhaps this should be another thread, but I’d be curious who you believe is the top of the G5 pecking order going forward? There doesn’t seem to be obvious teams at the moment due to all the realignment. Hopefully we can fill that void with great performances over the next few years.
Humble_Opinion wrote: January 1st, 2024, 11:57 pm
JK37 wrote:Getting manhandled like LU did, I’m afraid what it does for CFP prospects in the next few years. Go undefeated again next year, and it will be harder to get in. LU missed a chance to grow in respect as the top G5.
I know this was a topic of debate in the X-sphere, but I was of the opinion that it would be better for us to go undefeated and get left out of the NY6 spot and subsequently destroy whatever other G5 or mid P5 team we got stacked up against vs. getting blown out in a NY6 game. I was in the minority on that, but I'm curious how people think about it now that it came to fruition, and we got blown out by 39 points on national TV?
I kind of thought the same before the game, but I think the growth in our fan base was worth it. I think a lot of casual fans came out to support the club due to it being the Fiesta Bowl. Maybe I’m skewed having seen all the fans at the game. You couldn’t tell which team was the perennial P5 team based on fan base size. I think this snowballs our fan base faster which really is how the program grows in the future.

Also no guarantee we would have beaten an average P5 or G5, so the question is very hypothetical.
jmclaughlin liked this
There were thousands of Flames Fans, making a pilgrimage from all parts of the country to support this team and program. A majority doing so for the first time ever. I have yet to talk to another who wouldn’t do it again next. I for one will do it again with far more than a party of 2.
The Fiesta woke up a dormant fan base and will lead to a much deeper support from here forward.

Getting there was the goal. Maybe next time we can add another win to the dream.
I just went back and watched our first half. Oregon started slow, gave us chances early. We hurt ourselves mostly with stalled drives. Then Oregon woke up and it was over.

63 had two penalties on one drive alone that killed it. We had a 4th & 2 at our 45, decided to point, maybe could’ve gone for it there and kept it alive. Seemed like we didn’t run as much, but penalties caused some of that.
Outside of the Semi Final Trams I’d be interested in seeing if any game matches two teams with as intact rosters as Oregon and LU. Bo Nix opting to play had to have influenced some of his teammates. If he opted out I think LU wins that game. Because he’d be gone and a couple of other key players would have opted out too. I both love and hate he did the right thing :D :D
Mrs Purple and I had a fantastic trip. Starting with the glorious Mountaineer victory at the Dukes Mayo Bowl. Several great meals at steakhouses and In n Out. A Suns game. A hot air balloon ride. And a game where LU fans really showed up in numbers that surprised everyone!
Now I’m waiting for my connection in Denver so I can drive back to Lynchburg to catch a flight to Pittsburgh. Yep the Reality of Life is hitting me like the Ducks offense 8)
JK37, Cider Jim, rtb72 liked this
Still can't believe at the amount of Flames that were at the game yesterday. I tried to figure out a way to go to the game, but just could not make it work financially. I was absolutely praying for the Peach Bowl. I thought this was out only chance at a decent crowd. Glad I was wrong. Anyone have an idea how many fans were from western states? Online students? When we scored that TD it sounded super loud on TV.
Purple Haize, Liberty22 liked this
This is strictly anecdotal, but many of the folks I met at the game itself had tangential connections to the school. Their aunt/sister/daughter attended at some point and they loved the idea of Liberty competing with the big boys.

Yes, I do believe LU fans outnumbered Oregon fans. Most of Duck fans were senior citizens who likely lived in Arizona already. The number of younger Liberty fans far exceeded theirs.

Even with the loss, the weekend was one of my personal highlights of the past decade. I got to spend some quality time with old LU roommates from the ‘80s. Wish I could have met up with more of you from this board. But the fact that I couldn’t connect is evidence of just how strong the Liberty contingent turned out to be.
Cider Jim, LU 57, rtb72 liked this
Sly Fox wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 11:46 am Yes, I do believe LU fans outnumbered Oregon fans. Most of Duck fans were senior citizens who likely lived in Arizona already. The number of younger Liberty fans far exceeded theirs.
When we scored our only touchdown in the first quarter, the LU fans were so loud on my TV that it sounded like a home game in Lynchburg! :shock: :pbjtime :clapping
One of my older friends was at the game, and his seats were directly behind the students, who he said were standing and cheering the entire game!
It was great that we got to experience the Fiesta Bowl this year, because starting next year all NY6 bowls will be apart of the CFP every year. Next year, the Fiesta, Peach, Rose, and Sugar will be the quarterfinals of the CFP. Orange and Cotton will be the semifinals. First round will be at home sites. This is where we will be if we make it as one of the highest 6 rated conference champions. That will be cool in its own way too. If it were this year, we might have been headed to Tallahassee.
Or? And I'm asking. Did our dismal display at the Fiesta Bowl help or hurt our goal of entrance to the College Football Playoff? Will we be looked over for other G5's next year?

My opinion- We need to latch onto the dying whales of either the ACC/BIG12 (if possible). Then hope to be in the envelopment wave of the BIG 2 (SEC, BIG10).
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]