Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By tyndal23
Buyout Campbell 8/31 and go on the road to WSU or OR St. They both have FCS games scheduled that date and need to upgrade their SOS. Come back for a home game ECU. No need for a home FCS game next year. Win opener and beat App St on road 2 weeks later and SOS gap is dramatically closed on rest of G5.
Liberty22, LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let the record show that I believe this is on the table. But you need multiple parties to agree to such a scenario.
Liberty22 liked this
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 11:20 pm Let the record show that I believe this is on the table. But you need multiple parties to agree to such a scenario.
WSU so broke, we probably have to kick in cash for their buyout as well and go play for free.
By LUOrange
Hopefully this CFP SOS nonsensical experience is enough for McCaw & Chadwell to reconsider this 1 P5, 2 G5, 1 FCS non-conference philosophy until CUSA's reputation improves significantly or we get drafted. We should eliminate the FCS school (especially while we have UMass) and try for 1-2 P5's & minimize the number of MAC schools as well.
Liberty22 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 1:49 pm Hopefully this CFP SOS nonsensical experience is enough for McCaw & Chadwell to reconsider this 1 P5, 2 G5, 1 FCS non-conference philosophy until CUSA's reputation improves significantly or we get drafted. We should eliminate the FCS school (especially while we have UMass) and try for 1-2 P5's & minimize the number of MAC schools as well.
Looking forward to that 2027 Va Tech game :lol:
LU 57, LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
TH Spangler wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 1:58 pm
LUOrange wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 1:49 pm Hopefully this CFP SOS nonsensical experience is enough for McCaw & Chadwell to reconsider this 1 P5, 2 G5, 1 FCS non-conference philosophy until CUSA's reputation improves significantly or we get drafted. We should eliminate the FCS school (especially while we have UMass) and try for 1-2 P5's & minimize the number of MAC schools as well.
Looking forward to that 2027 Va Tech game :lol:
Yeah. :cry: :cry:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 2:06 pm I’m with Tyndal. Need to buy out that Campbell game and add WSU.
Would WSU do it?
By Ill flame
I agree we should take any opportunity we can get to add a P5 to next year's schedule. Beyond that I don't think the 1P5, 2 G5, 1 FCS strategy is a bad one as long as the 2 G5s are above average. If we add WSU to next year's schedule and run the table it would be good enough to earn the top G5 spot 9 times out of 10.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Problem is it is VERY hard to run the table, no matter your schedule difficulty. Conference next year will be harder than this year. We'll get everyone's best shot. Hopefully we can stay the course and get even better ourselves, especially on the defensive side.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 2:20 pm
LU 57 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 2:06 pm I’m with Tyndal. Need to buy out that Campbell game and add WSU.
Would WSU do it?
Again. That’s always the overlooked part
Ill flame, thepostman, JK37 and 1 others liked this
By LU 57
Purple Haize wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 2:55 pm
Would WSU do it?
It’s a fair question but if you have not heard, they have a few openings.
By Ill flame
flamehunter wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 2:31 pm Problem is it is VERY hard to run the table, no matter your schedule difficulty. Conference next year will be harder than this year. We'll get everyone's best shot. Hopefully we can stay the course and get even better ourselves, especially on the defensive side.
I didn't say going undefeated was easy but we have little to no room for error regardless even if we play 2 P5s and 2 top G5s due to our conference. I'm just pointing out that we don't have to go crazy with our schedule to control our own destiny. If you swap out umass for Virginia or South Carolina like originally scheduled this year, no one would be debating if we deserve a NY6 despite it still being a weak schedule.
By ECC29
I agree that we should have kept the P5 schedule. But to Ian McGraw’s defense, LU had a new coach and 50% of the roster was replaced due to transfer or graduate. LU really did not know what kind of season they will have. Ian I believe wanted Caldwell to succeed his first year and not get beat up too much. This year has been more than expected. Take it as a blessing. Hopefully we get good transfer players to fill in some of the weaknesses and make LU a better team next year.
thesportscritic liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 2:58 pm

Would WSU do it?
But they are still going to have to be willing to come to Lynchburg at some point. I don’t think LU would be opposed to going out there on a 2-1 though
LU 57 liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 3:09 pm
flamehunter wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 2:31 pm Problem is it is VERY hard to run the table, no matter your schedule difficulty. Conference next year will be harder than this year. We'll get everyone's best shot. Hopefully we can stay the course and get even better ourselves, especially on the defensive side.
I didn't say going undefeated was easy but we have little to no room for error regardless even if we play 2 P5s and 2 top G5s due to our conference. I'm just pointing out that we don't have to go crazy with our schedule to control our own destiny. If you swap out umass for Virginia or South Carolina like originally scheduled this year, no one would be debating if we deserve a NY6 despite it still being a weak schedule.
I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. Just saying that this year was an enormous accomplishment and that we need to enjoy it while we can. Getting the NY6 bowl will help our future immensely IMHO.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 3:35 pm I agree that we should have kept the P5 schedule. But to Ian McGraw’s defense, LU had a new coach and 50% of the roster was replaced due to transfer or graduate. LU really did not know what kind of season they will have. Ian I believe wanted Caldwell to succeed his first year and not get beat up too much. This year has been more than expected. Take it as a blessing. Hopefully we get good transfer players to fill in some of the weaknesses and make LU a better team next year.
You are completely wrong.

Liberty joined a conference. The schedule had to change, rapidly! And UVA and SC took the chance to cancel the games instead of moving them.
flameshaw liked this
By Ill flame
Vandy just dropped their 2024 matchup against SMU and replaced them with ball state. I guess those bottom tier SEC schools have to inflate their win totals somehow. That gives us another opportunity to add a quality opponent to the schedule. I'm not sure if they'll be perceived as a P5 win in the media if we beat them but SMU will be P5 next season.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I would love to play bigger and better schools, but it's not that easy and scheduled are scheduled years in advance for many reasons.

We just proved we could run the table and make the 12 team playoff... I'm fine with playing one, or two, really good teams at the end of the season...
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 4:05 pm
LU 57 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 2:58 pm

But they are still going to have to be willing to come to Lynchburg at some point. I don’t think LU would be opposed to going out there on a 2-1 though
Not really, LU can do a 1 off for both.. Our issue is 24/25 that gets fixed by playing them. If we want to do more games with them, then from a fan standpoint - play it in Vegas week 0. Get more tv eyeballs for both schools and much cheaper flights and accommodations for fan bases ( vs 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 ). Financially - the tv eyeballs aren’t there for WSU to give up a home gate for a neutral - but man than is a long hard trip.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]