Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LU 57
tyndal23 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 12:26 am
ECC29 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 12:14 am Great, great win. But that secondary defense is terrible. I hope they fire half of the secondary next year. The offense is incredible! Hands down!
Yeah let’s fire the secondary coach who leads nation in interceptions...makes perfect sense. NMSU ran perfect route trees with perfect passes. LU game planned to not let Pavia run, and then throw on the run, impossible to implement. Next QB threw absolute darts. Our D Line is the issue. Last years D Line and this team is ranked 15 or better due to blowouts.
Definitely much more about lack of pass rush. Need to hit the portal.
thesportscritic liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: December 1st, 2023, 11:58 pm Man, after that it’s hard for me to care much what happens tomorrow or Sunday for that matter.

This team is special! Tough tough team in New Mexico State, but all this team does is win. 13-0 sounds so good.
I bet by the time you wake up tomorrow, you will care very much what happens tomorrow. Let’s go Pony Express!!
thesportscritic, tyndal23, Kricket and 1 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That was a ton of fun. It was so great to have a championship to play for! Whatever happens with the NY6 stuff is going to happen but this is a heck of an accomplishment.

I don't think any of us predicted an undefeated year. It's been fun. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Go Mustangs! BEAT TULANE (but not by TOOOOOO much)
Kricket, JK37, BlueBlood liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 12:51 am
Kricket wrote: December 1st, 2023, 11:58 pm Man, after that it’s hard for me to care much what happens tomorrow or Sunday for that matter.

This team is special! Tough tough team in New Mexico State, but all this team does is win. 13-0 sounds so good.
I bet by the time you wake up tomorrow, you will care very much what happens tomorrow. Let’s go Pony Express!!
I won’t argue that. But give me a few hours! :lol:
By tyndal23
Not sure what the LU Twitter / X uproar about officiating was - we got both close calls ( near fumble in end zone line / interception - tie ball goes to receiver ) field goal was clearly missed from 1 angle, block in back was legit. Least penalized game of the year. That why you don’t let Twitter decide coaching hires and pretty much anything of importance....
By rtb72
tyndal23 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 1:39 am Not sure what the LU Twitter / X uproar about officiating was - we got both close calls ( near fumble in end zone line / interception - tie ball goes to receiver ) field goal was clearly missed from 1 angle, block in back was legit. Least penalized game of the year. That why you don’t let Twitter decide coaching hires and pretty much anything of importance....
"Near fumble" was clearly across plane. Interception wasn't a "tie ball" until they were on ground and he (NMSU) grabbed part of it...Bishop had possession pretty clearly on replay. The biggest things that stuck out to me about officials was when we had our D-line getting put in rear headlocks from behind on pass rush and the refs were right on top of it....no flag. It became a bit tiresome when it happened several times. Another issue that stuck out was NMSU gut punching our guy after the whistle. Again, pretty clear from Sec 104 and reaffirmed by replay...no flag. As well as the other aforementioned. Totally agree with the refs calls on block in back and FG. Nevertheless, the refs are human and it was not the worst officiating I've seen this year. It also would not have changed the game one way or the other, so....

The one thing I appreciated with officiating this game versus other games this year is there weren't flags being thrown then picked up and ruled "no penalty on the play". They also had a lot less reviews also.

LU and NMSU played a fairly clean game all the way around.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
When I was a student we shared conference titles in the Big South and couldn’t make the playoffs to save our life. My freshmen year we essentially lost to D2 Presbyterian to keep us out. Now we are 13-0 conference champions in the FBS….unbelievable
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Anyone watching on tv have insight into the missed field goal? It looked good from the stadium.
The officials did a fine job last night with the exception of about 3-4 head scratchers. The FG being one, the blatant holds on 2 possessions in the 4th And the less than assertive signal for TD when there was a ‘fumble’. I would have felt a lot better with those 3 points on the lard

HCJC deserves his near 7 figure bonus for this win. He deserves a long long term contract, I’d say good until the Rapture. What he and his crew has done with Salter and the team is absolutely amazing. I have NEVER seen a sideline celebration by an LU football team like I did last night. He’s gotten everyone to buy in and have fun. That is special.
Now I gotta figure out how to afford going to a NY 6 bowl :D
AATL, Kricket, flamehunter and 2 others liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 1:39 am Not sure what the LU Twitter / X uproar about officiating was - we got both close calls ( near fumble in end zone line / interception - tie ball goes to receiver ) field goal was clearly missed from 1 angle, block in back was legit. Least penalized game of the year. That why you don’t let Twitter decide coaching hires and pretty much anything of importance....
Agreed is was fairly officiated. For a stretch in the fourth quarter, it felt like a flag was thrown on every play for several in a row. So I won’t say it felt like the least penalized game. You are right about the calls you mentioned. Plus, LU had a couple clear violations go unflagged. I’d be more upset if I were an NMSU fan about the officiating.

But LU fans don’t get it. The fanbase as a whole doesn’t get Big Time college football. They don’t realize how hard it is to go undefeated. They act like everyone is out to get them, including officials. I had one texting me last night about how the announcers obviously wanted NMSU to win.

Sometimes I think based on our fans, we deserve the little pond. We ain’t ready - as a fanbase - for the Big Boy pond. If you have followed programs all your life like Oklahoma, Alabama, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Texas….you know what I mean.

Thats why I’m hoping for an NY6 bowl, but I won’t e surprised if our fans embarrass themselves.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The officiating last night was far from stellar. There was a blatant holding on the Flames that wasn't called and led to an INT for us. So it went both ways. The NM State fans was just as furious about a number of call as we were.

On the FG, it wasn't even close to being good until it turned at in the last five yards or so. They official that was directly under the goalpost made the call. If it had been even a yard longer it would have been good.

The INT in the endzone was the right call. Our DB made the initial catch and the NMSU WR tried to wrestle it away.

I can live with calls going both directions.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I haven’t seen a lot of love on here for CJ Daniels. Dude has been balling out this season. We’re not 13-0 without him.

Amazing TD catch for him last night!
Liberty22 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I wasn’t at the game but apparently the NMSU band director and their students, our student section was waving green cards all night at them and at the players and throwing racial taunts. That’s embarrassing if that’s true.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 11:47 am I wasn’t at the game but apparently the NMSU band director and their students, our student section was waving green cards all night at them and at the players and throwing racial taunts. That’s embarrassing if that’s true.
I went to the game last night and didn't see it. We loved their band! Love their celebration of Hispanic culture. Really cool having them, made GameDay special. Wish more bands traveled.
Purple Haize, Dalegarz1, Baybird and 1 others liked this
By Ill flame
I was giving Daniel's some love yesterday. Not to say our other receivers are bad but daniels is the only WR we have that consistently creates matchup problems for opposing defenses. I would love to get to the point where we have 3 or 4 guys of his quality, not many defenses would stand a chance.
Kricket, Liberty22 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I went to the game last night and didn't see it. We loved their band! Love their celebration of Hispanic culture. Really cool having them, made GameDay special. Wish more bands traveled.
[/quote]

Having both bands there was great, (and I am not normally a band person.) Game atmosphere was the best in many years. The fans and bands provided the "noise", not the PA system. That's the way it should be.
TH Spangler liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 11:59 am
ballah09 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 11:47 am I wasn’t at the game but apparently the NMSU band director and their students, our student section was waving green cards all night at them and at the players and throwing racial taunts. That’s embarrassing if that’s true.
On our way out we made it a point to walk past the busses for band for NMSU as they were loading up and told as many as were out how great they were and thanked them for coming. They were very friendly and appreciative. I was a little off out y the students booing them but I’m getting old.
JK37 liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
I hope not. I did notice that for much of the game they had about 5 or 6 Event Staff stationed up the aisle in between the NMSU band/fan section and the students.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The football team was ready for a CUSA Championship, but the LU Bookstore was not. They only ordered a hand full of championship t shirts, and sold out very quickly. They should have known it would be a hot item.
I seem to recall similar problems in years past with other championships. Very bad marketing.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]