Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, New Mexico

NMSU Football Official Site

247sports Aggie Alert Sports Trough Board

Crimson Country Board

Jerry Kill
2nd Season as NMSU Head Coach

2023 Schedule/Results

Aug 26 - UMass ....................................................... L 41-30
Sep 02 - Western Illinois ......................................... W 58-21
Sep 09 - @ Liberty .................................................. L 33-17
Sep 16 - @ New Mexico ........................................... W 27-17
Sep 23 - @ Hawai'i .................................................. L 20-17
Oct 04 - FIU ............................................................. W 34-17
Oct 11 - Sam Houston ............................................. W 27-13
Oct 18 - @ UTEP ...................................................... W 29-7
Oct 24 - @ Louisiana Tech ....................................... W 27-24
Nov 04 - MTSU ......................................................... W 13-7
Nov 11 - @ Western Kentucky .................................. W 38-29
Nov 18 - @ Auburn .................................................. W 31-10
Nov 25 - Jacksonville State ..................................... W 20-17

Key Players

#10 Diego Pavia
6' 0" 200 lbs Junior Quarterback
Thru 13 Games: 199-of-325 (61%) for 2727 Yds with 23 TDs & 8 INTs + 153 Carries for 808 Yds with 5 Rushing TDs

#4 Star Thomas
6' 0" 225 lbs Junior Running Back
Thru 13 Games: 103 Carries for 604 Yds with 4 Rushing TDs

#6 Jonathan Brady
5' 11" 190 lbs Sophomore Receiver
Thru 13 Games: 33 Receptions for 518 Yds with 3 TDs + 6 Kick Returns for 19.5 Yd Average

#5 J.J. Dervil
6' 3" 190 lbs Junior Safety
Thru 13 Games: 51 Total Tackles + 4 Passes broken Up

#44 Keyshaun Elliott
6' 3" 225 lbs Sophomore Linebacker
Thru 13 Games: 92 Tackles including 8 for Loss + 2.5 Sacks
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: November 26th, 2023, 2:38 pm Can someone explain how they got to play 13 regular season games?
I think Hawaii is an exception

Ie; to entice teams to travel out there, it doesn’t count against your 12 game schedule. I could be making that up tho
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Words that I don't recall typing very often in the close to two decades of this board's existence ... You are correct, Medic.

As for NM State, here are the highlights of their close victory over Jax State on Saturday.

By LUOrange
PAmedic wrote: November 26th, 2023, 2:41 pm
flamehunter wrote: November 26th, 2023, 2:38 pm Can someone explain how they got to play 13 regular season games?
I think Hawaii is an exception

Ie; to entice teams to travel out there, it doesn’t count against your 12 game schedule. I could be making that up tho
Schools that play at Hawaii have the option to schedule a 13th regular season game. However, they have to win 7 games to become bowl eligible.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
They are definitely better now than they were at the beginning of the season. We're going to need our starters to bring their A+ game if we want to win.

Also, the weather looks quite gloomy for Friday night. Hopefully our attendance doesn't suffer too bad as a result.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:I am so concerned we’re going to have more empty seats than we want due to weather. I’m hoping forecast changes between now and then.
If it rains, I hope we emphasize ball security a bit. Three lost fumbles against UTEP is bad but likely would cost us the game against New Mexico State.
By Ill flame
Liberty22 wrote: November 27th, 2023, 7:56 pm I am so concerned we’re going to have more empty seats than we want due to weather. I’m hoping forecast changes between now and then.
Any empty seats is more than i want but based on ticket sales it looks like there were be hundreds of empty seats in the upper deck whether the weather is good or not.
JK37, Liberty22 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: November 28th, 2023, 9:30 am
Liberty22 wrote:I am so concerned we’re going to have more empty seats than we want due to weather. I’m hoping forecast changes between now and then.
If it rains, I hope we emphasize ball security a bit. Three lost fumbles against UTEP is bad but likely would cost us the game against New Mexico State.
Some who fumbled against UTEP won’t see the field vs. NMSU.
ballcoach15 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: November 27th, 2023, 7:56 pm I am so concerned we’re going to have more empty seats than we want due to weather. I’m hoping forecast changes between now and then.
With the available tickets online and the weather I’m not sure we’ll have 20,000 there…the announced attendance on the other hand might be different.
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
People are going to show up regardless of the weather. Looks like the rain will be done by game time. it will be chilly, but I expect a big crowd. I do think some people are waiting last minute to purchase tickets. I have faith in marketing team that they will do what is necessary to have a great crowd. Over 20K for sure.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: November 28th, 2023, 11:49 am People are going to show up regardless of the weather. Looks like the rain will be done by game time. it will be chilly, but I expect a big crowd. I do think some people are waiting last minute to purchase tickets. I have faith in marketing team that they will do what is necessary to have a great crowd. Over 20K for sure.
I hope you’re right. I’m coming from Georgia…rain won’t stop me.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
Kricket wrote: November 28th, 2023, 9:30 am
Some who fumbled against UTEP won’t see the field vs. NMSU.
Elijah Smoot and Billy Lucas will see the field. Nate Hampton probably not. Also, the specific players who fumbled were not my point. We have the second most fumbles lost in all of FBS. In the rain, those ball security issues could be exasperated.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
A cold rain game with a little wind could bode well for our style of offense, considering how effective we have been running the ball this year even when it's obvious that's what we're going to do. I think a heavy dose of Cooley should be nice, followed up with some spells from Blue. I'd also like to see more of that Jointer kid. He's been solid running back there when he's been given opportunities.
JK37, Geraldos Mustache liked this
By jmclaughlin
Quick reality check:
We lost our legacy coach to a big boy school, fearing a mass exodus of talent and momentum
Turned over 50% of the '22 roster, losing several to P5 teams.
Tragically lost a teammate before the season in the most heartbreaking way
No clear idea of who would take the QB reigns, a week out of game 1
Lost 3 would be starters to injury before the season even began

Speed forward:
The Flames are 12-0 and have an outside chance of...the Cotton Bowl?!?!
Year #1 in a conference and we are hosting the championship on the mountain

No matter what happens from this point forward, this has been an incredible season and a testament to the work Ian McCaw and the LU brass have done...Unreal!

Light 'em Up!
Baybird, LU 57, Dalegarz1 and 8 others liked this
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]