Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Agreed.

Now how is it possible that we have a game against UTEP with no Glory Road references? And has everyone forgotten Tim Hardway Sr. and his UTEP 2-step back in the Run TMC days?

Yes, I am well aware of how old I am sounding.
By tyndal23
Kricket wrote: November 21st, 2023, 12:26 pm I'm not trying to call anyone out in particular, and maybe this is directed at myself more than anyone else, but it seems like there's always a few posts about being worried before these types of games. I know the difference on phrasing is subtle, but I hope our staff and players don't worry at all (and certainly not fans), and recognize the opportunity they have and do their best! There's nothing to be worried about if we put in the work and coach/play hard and represent the university and faith well.
Circled this game at beginning of season. Just like I did UCONN last season. This one has a lot of negative factors to overcome by way of focus during prep week, travel distance, altitude, arriving that evening be a day earlier and a host of other things. So, yeah there is a lot to be worried about even IF the focus is good, the energy in the stadium will be dead, the other side playing their bowl game, and an RB behind a huge line that average 5.2 per carry.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
This needs to be another blowout win for Liberty. The defense needs to step up big, and play the way they did against Bowling Green and Buffalo earlier this year.

Am I the only one who was disappointed that Chadwell took his foot off the gas in the 4th quarter against UMass? I really wanted LU to show how much better they were - especially after their coach's comments about our strength of schedule. Against UTEP, I hope we don't take the foot off until about three minutes left - we need to make a statement.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
phoenix wrote:Am I the only one who was disappointed that Chadwell took his foot off the gas in the 4th quarter against UMass? I really wanted LU to show how much better they were - especially after their coach's comments about our strength of schedule.
What did the UMass coach say about our strength of schedule? I mean, playing teams like UMass probably doesn't help our strength of schedule...

***Edit*** I think I found what you are referencing:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
For those of you with DirecTV, if you pay $14.99 to get their Sports Package, you can get the CBS Network on channel 221 to watch the LU-UTEP game.

That's a lot cheaper than the Greyhound ticket my future wife and I paid to travel from Huntington to El Paso to attend the Sun Bowl game and meet her family in 1984.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
phoenix wrote: November 21st, 2023, 3:40 pm This needs to be another blowout win for Liberty. The defense needs to step up big, and play the way they did against Bowling Green and Buffalo earlier this year.

Am I the only one who was disappointed that Chadwell took his foot off the gas in the 4th quarter against UMass? I really wanted LU to show how much better they were - especially after their coach's comments about our strength of schedule. Against UTEP, I hope we don't take the foot off until about three minutes left - we need to make a statement.
We beat them by 24 even after giving up 15 points in garbage time. Im glad that we put the backups in as early as we did. The last thing we need right now, especially in a very chippy game like that, is for a starter to get hurt in garbage time. Plus our young guys got almost a full quarter of live reps that are very hard to come by. Some of them looked clueless at times but I'd much rather them get that out of their system in a blowout win as underclassmen instead of in the next year or two when they are expected to get meaningful snaps.
jmclaughlin, ATrain, rtb72 and 1 others liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
Ill flame wrote: November 21st, 2023, 7:08 pm
phoenix wrote: November 21st, 2023, 3:40 pm This needs to be another blowout win for Liberty. The defense needs to step up big, and play the way they did against Bowling Green and Buffalo earlier this year.

We beat them by 24 even after giving up 15 points in garbage time. Im glad that we put the backups in as early as we did. The last thing we need right now, especially in a very chippy game like that, is for a starter to get hurt in garbage time. Plus our young guys got almost a full quarter of live reps that are very hard to come by. Some of them looked clueless at times but I'd much rather them get that out of their system in a blowout win as underclassmen instead of in the next year or two when they are expected to get meaningful snaps.
Lots of wisdom here Ill Flame...
We need to get up 35-3 in the first half like we have the last couple weeks vs. Old Dominion and U Mass. Let your starters know they are only getting 3 quarters of action, protect against unnecessary injury. Hopefully our backups can minimize garbage time points on defense. I hate to see those late TDs to make the score look like less of a blowout.
By Geraldos Mustache

Agree - we need to make a statement. With a weak schedule and the criticism we face for it, style point matter. Putting up gaudy statistics matters. Maintaining our #1 position in rushing statistics as the top rushing team in the nation, top yards per carry in the nation, most rushing TDs etc. All that stuff matters.

With all that said - our starters should only get 3 quarters of playing time. Ask them to get 4 quarters of production in 3 quarters of action. They need to sit and avoid unnecessary injury in garbage time and be fresh for the most important game of the year vs. NM State.
By jmclaughlin
In El Paso...Reporting for duty. 4 in my household will be behind the LU bench, boosting game attendance by 32%.
Lets hope CUSA can get us a better draw for conference game #8 next year.
Cider Jim, LU 57, flameshaw and 1 others liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
jmclaughlin wrote: November 24th, 2023, 9:43 pm In El Paso...Reporting for duty. 4 in my household will be behind the LU bench, boosting game attendance by 32%.
I'll have some in-laws at the game. If you see blonde guy wth glasses in his mid-60s wearing a Angels ballcap with a son who has a big full beard, those are my people! The son just graduated from LUO last summer! :oldhag :popcorn
jmclaughlin, Kricket liked this
By jmclaughlin
Cider Jim wrote: November 24th, 2023, 10:43 pm
jmclaughlin wrote: November 24th, 2023, 9:43 pm In El Paso...Reporting for duty. 4 in my household will be behind the LU bench, boosting game attendance by 32%.
I'll have some in-laws at the game. If you see blonde guy wth glasses in his mid-60s wearing a Angels ballcap with a son who has a big full beard, those are my people! The son just graduated from LUO last summer! :oldhag :popcorn
Pretty sure it will the kids edition of Where's Waldo
Cider Jim, Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I’m excited for this game. Sometimes I think we get swept up into the what ifs, but there are only 3 games left for us this season. Just need to enjoy one game at a time and live in the moment.

Go Flames!
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Spread started at 17 and went to 16.5 and now the late money pushed it to 17.5.

Maybe Liberty being more motivated to make a statement due to the Tulane win is driving that line up.
By Ill flame
Sometimes this team looks like the kid that goofs off in class because the content is too easy and they are bored. We should be up by at least another touchdown but the offense looks lackadaisical at times. Our defense has been phenomenal since that first drive though, only allowing 25 yards on UTEPs last 6 offensive drives.
Veritas liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I know this game got out of hand in the first half..like a few games this year but this second half and especially 4th quarter trash is frustrating.
Veritas, Liberty22, phoenix liked this
By Veritas
21 points in the fourth. 15 points in the fourth last week. So much for style points. Maybe we could keep our foot on the gas a bit longer? Please?
TH Spangler, phoenix liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Cue the freakout over garbage time points...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: November 25th, 2023, 8:11 pm Cue the freakout over garbage time points...
If you bet the Over you’re all for garbage time points
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Trey Lowe should have been in there as our garbage-time QB instead of Hampton, who looked lost out there.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The depth of this team is why if we somehow we make it to a NY6 game we will get blown out. With that said, this team has remained focused and accomplished a 12-0 record which is absolutely amazing. So hard to do. Next week will be interesting.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
UTEP website listed the official attendance at 10,240.

Does that number include the players, coaches & staff, marching band, and concession workers? The Sun Bowl looked EMPTY on TV.

https://utepminers.com/sports/football/stats/2023/pdf
thesportscritic liked this
By Ill flame
Chadwell was just trying to run out the clock at the end and keep his starters from getting hurt meanwhile UTEPs coach was treating this game like it was the national championship game even after it was decided, probably because he's afraid he'll lose his job. I like to think our depth will be better next year and our defense won't look like swiss cheese during garbage time but if that's our biggest concern I would say we are in phenomenal shape as a program.
flamehunter, Cider Jim liked this
By tyndal23
12-0. Mariachi Band. NMSU did their job - ( beating a 10 win team that beat Auburn that lost last second to Bama - means more than not covering in garbage time on the road )...maybe, hopefully, kind of sorta, - BEAT NMSU !!!
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hoc[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]