Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Tothehoopyall1
The JMU focus on ESPN Gameday today makes me want to PUKE. We’ve had our logo on the screen a few times and the conversation has not even acknowledged LU. Hopefully this will motivate us. Let’s go!!!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Pat McAfee has been insufferable about the whole thing. It's such a bizarre thing. They NCAA isn't going to change rule mid season just because a team is good. Which is reasonable. I've said it a few times this week but I think it's pretty much universally agreed that it's a dumb rule. Maybe it'll change but I doubt it. But Pat McAfee has singlehandedly ruined gameday. I rarely watch anymore. Now I sound like a grouchy old man 😆
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
I thought the rule was arbitrary at first, but after doing some research, I understand that they're just trying to give FCS schools time to meet the resource requirements of an FBS program. They have to significantly expand the number of sports and scholarships, and enhance or add facilities to accommodate a larger athletic program. That costs a lot of money, and now they have a $5 million entrance fee. Two years to satisfy requirements at that level of expense isn't unreasonable.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote: November 18th, 2023, 11:00 am I thought the rule was arbitrary at first, but after doing some research, I understand that they're just trying to give FCS schools time to meet the resource requirements of an FBS program. They have to significantly expand the number of sports and scholarships, and enhance or add facilities to accommodate a larger athletic program. That costs a lot of money, and now they have a $5 million entrance fee. Two years to satisfy requirements at that level of expense isn't unreasonable.
Sure, giving them time to get to the FBS level from a resources standpoint makes sense but if they have early success (we fewer resources) they should be able to participate in all post season games if it's been earned.

But don't get it twisted, the rule shouldn't change mid-season.
rmiller1959 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This is referred to by Old Hags as the Marshall rule. Once upon a time, Marshall loaded up on I-A transfers during the transition and dominated right out of the gates with players like Randy Moss. There was also similar tactics used by Boise State when they transitioned up. The rule was put in place to shackle these new schools to not have a competitive advantage over the existing FBS members of their conferences. With the transfer portal today, I don't see the value in this rule. Everyone is on the same page in snatching players.

This rule will likely go away. But doing so in the middle of a season was a silly idea.

The fact that JMU has been running ripshod through the Belt in Year 1 shows just how that league is not that much stronger than the other G5s.
JK37, Cider Jim liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Loving the JMU loss in OT. :clapping :pbjtime :cheerleader
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]