Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, Virginia

ODU Football Official Site

Ricky Rahne
3rd Season as ODU Head Coach

2023 Schedule/Results

Sep 02 - @ Virginia Tech ........................................ L 17-36
Sep 09 - Louisiana ................................................. W 38-31
Sep 16 - Wake Forest ............................................. L 24-27
Sep 23 - Texas A&M-Commerce ............................. W 10-9
Sep 30 - @ Marshall ............................................... L 35-41
Oct 07 - @ Southern Miss ...................................... W 17-13
Oct 21 - App State .................................................. W 28-21
Oct 28 - @ JMU ...................................................... L 27-30
Nov 04 - Coastal Carolina ....................................... L 24-28
Nov 11 - @ Liberty .................................................. 1:00 PM ET
Nov 18 - @ Georgia Southern
Nov 25 - Georgia State
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Every game is a close one with ODU. At home, we should be able to take care of business but this is essentially like playing a top team from C-USA. We’ve seen our struggles against teams much worse than ODU so anything could happen.

Hopefully our defense has a renewed fire after some of the comments Chadwell made postgame.
rmiller1959, Baybird liked this
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
If the defense from early in the season shows up, this will be a good win. If the defense we've had lately shows up, we could drop this one. We need to win this one as big as possible - the bigger the win, the better we look against JMU.
ATrain, LUOrange liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Definitely a trap game. ODU is probably going to be the best team we have scheduled this year.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
ODU is going to come hungry, not just because they're in-state, but we've beat them 3x in a row (maybe 4?). In addition, if they lose Saturday their shot at becoming bowl eligible this season will be over.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
They could still become bowl eligible even with a loss to us. Currently they are 4-5 and only need two wins to become bowl eligible with (3) games remaining. With that being said, it will not be an easy path for them to get to a bowl this year as the remaining games are against:

@Liberty (9-0)

@ GA Southern (6-3)

VS Georgia State (6-3)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: November 6th, 2023, 12:56 pm Definitely a trap game. ODU is probably going to be the best team we have scheduled this year.
Really? I admit I haven’t seen them. But they’re 4-5!
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 6th, 2023, 4:03 pm
ATrain wrote: November 6th, 2023, 12:56 pm Definitely a trap game. ODU is probably going to be the best team we have scheduled this year.
I think fans are just being overly cautious to say they’re the best team we’ve faced, and at home it should be easier for us. They’re about as good at Bowling Green, Buffalo, and New Mexico State.

I would rank our wins at WKU and Jax State as tougher games than ODU. That’s not to say we should overlook them by any means.
By LUOrange
Our biggest concern is that it's week 11 and we're 9-0. Running the table is tough, no matter who's on the schedule. After that, it depends on if we get the D from the first 7 games or the D from 5 of the last 7 quarters.

Either way, we should win. How comfortable is the question. I watched them vs. JMU and I wasn't all that impressed with Rahne. But they are the best team left on our schedule until the CUSA CCG.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 6th, 2023, 4:03 pm
Close losses to Wake Forest, JMU and Coastal, and remember, Coastal blew out Jax State 30 - 16. They also have a win over App State.

Plus I'm old enough to remember the Stupid Hose! Presbyterian taught me that every game is predestined to be a trap game.
Baybird liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
This is not a trap game. A trap game is a game against a bad oppoinment right before you play a good one. It's a game you're overlooking to plan for the good team. I don't think that's the case. It's a late season game against a opponent that's probably better then their record and has a lot of motivation to play the spoiler. Its hard to run the tables - don't care how easy your schedule is - and this is our hardest game left this season. And ODU has watched tape for 9 games. We do not defend the short pass at all - this alone makes us have to out score our opponents every week, and we better hope Salter doesn't have a bad week.
By Ill flame
That's one definition but I think it's just any game where one team is widely expected to win against a team that is more motivated for one reason or another. The Army game was a trap game for air force and they had another weak opponent coming up next week. We are in the same boat although our "rivalry" with ODU is nowhere near as strong.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: November 7th, 2023, 12:26 pm That's one definition but I think it's just any game where one team is widely expected to win against a team that is more motivated for one reason or another. The Army game was a trap game for air force and they had another weak opponent coming up next week. We are in the same boat although our "rivalry" with ODU is nowhere near as strong.
Nowhere near as strong...yet!
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
CFAW and Military Appreciation Day hopefully will fill in some of the empty seats for the game.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 9th, 2023, 4:35 pm I hear the ticket office is giving 4 free tickets to Veterans, with Military ID card.
I'm coming with 2 Vets. And our group still needs one ticket. Can we show an ID at the ticket office Saturday.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
21 to nil. I’m never going to get tired of saying this, but this is about as good of a start as we could have asked for.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
The TV Crew is mailing it in. I am home sick, watching on ESPN+. On Liberty's last possession of the 1st half, the possession indicator was pointing to Old Dominion for the entire drive. When Liberty scored the TD, the score didn't change. When they kicked the PAT, the score went from 28 to 29. :lol:
By Ill flame
This team has only lost by more than a score once all year against some pretty solid competition and we are making them look like they don't even belong on the same field as us. This is the type of performance we needed to get the CFP committees attention. Hopefully we keep running up the score in the second half.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]