Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
There are two CFP top 25 teams that are underdogs this week:
#18 Tennessee
#20 UNC

Two top 25 matchups where the loser will fall out of the rankings:
#17 Arizona vs #22 Utah
#21 K state vs #25 Kansas

And three more top 25 teams that are single digit favorites and ripe for a minor upset that could fall out of the rankings with a loss:
#16 Iowa (would likely stay ranked)
#23 Ok State
#24 Tulane

With 3 or 4 teams likely to fall out of the rankings, this should be the week we sneak into the CFP top 25. I could see them putting NC state in the top 25 as well but after that they would have to start putting 4 loss P5 teams ahead of us.
Dalegarz1, Kricket liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
They’ll do anything to keep LU out. They all just hate Jesus.

It’s all about Tulane. Hope they lose.

I want NY6. JMU would be a nice consolation prize.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 15th, 2023, 8:44 am They’ll do anything to keep LU out. They all just hate Jesus.

It’s all about Tulane. Hope they lose.

I want NY6. JMU would be a nice consolation prize.
1st choice NY6
2nd choice Auburn
3rd choice JMU
socal_flame, LU 57 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It shouldn't even be a rule but you can't change rules mid season. Wouldn't of been a good look but the rule shouldn't be a thing at all. It serves no purpose.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
The purpose of the rule, as I read it, was to keep the NCAA from looking silly for granting FBS status to a school that wasn't ready to handle the higher competition. Which means they probably didn't do their due diligence before promoting them. So, yeah for as far as the schools are concerned, there is no purpose.

Also, Jax St was also denied an appeal to be bowl eligible this year.
By ECC29
They make this rule to preserve their precious P5 schools. They want to keep down the smaller up and coming schools. They’re absolutely no rational or logic keeping a team from playing in a Bowl that has a very good record. Some P5 school with a 6-6 record can play in the Bowls. What stupidity!
By LUOrange
The post season ban on D2 to D1 is even dumber (5 years). But JMU's appeal mid-season and because they're JMU, is ridiculous and hypocritical when you consider that they voted to ban GA State & ODU form ODU post season eligibility when they left the CAA. Of course, they cried when the CAA banned them from post season eligibility as well. Now we just need crAppy State Beach Chicken U to do the world a favor the next two Saturdays.
TH Spangler liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I really hope Eric Cignetti gets a new job somewhere else. I know he's 62 now, but he looks healthy and appears to not show his age... he could easily go another 8 years.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: November 16th, 2023, 10:02 am Now we just need crAppy State Beach Chicken U to do the world a favor the next two Saturdays.
As hard as this is to say, we all need to be be Mountaineers this Saturday and Beach Chickens next Saturday! :shock:
LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Yes.

I can't understand the fascination some have with JMU, especially those wanting a Liberty JMU bowl game. We should play a Power 5 team. Playing JMU doesn't increase our profile at all. Ignore the purple Dukes.
By Geraldos Mustache
Ballcoach - your would be correct under most circumstances. Playing another G5 squad does nothing for our profile. JMU is different because sports media has crowned them the Cinderalla story of G5 schools this season. There is a tremendous amount of attention that goes along with that. All the more interesting that you could have two undefeated G5 schools from the same state. The media attention attached to a JMU vs. Liberty matchup is very high.

Playing a mid-P5 squad would not be as widely publicized as LU vs. JMU. Is anyone around the country super excited about Liberty vs. (insert 7-5 record P5 school here). Are you excited about Rutgers?
Iowa State?
Maryland?
Illinois?
Syracuse?

The only mid-P5 school I would want to play is another regional team, such as: Duke, NC State, Virginia Tech, Florida, Auburn.

My two cents...
By Ill flame
thepostman wrote: November 15th, 2023, 11:57 pm It shouldn't even be a rule but you can't change rules mid season. Wouldn't of been a good look but the rule shouldn't be a thing at all. It serves no purpose.
Before the transfer portal you can transfer from FBS to FCS without having to sit out. Marshall took advantage of this in the 90s by announcing they were moving to FBS, loaded up on a ton of transfers that didn't want to sit out and dominated. Thus a new rule was created that all teams moving up had to wait two years before being bowl eligible to prevent a similar situation. I also believe FCS has slightly looser academic requirements than FBS that transfer are grandfathered into when the school moved from FCS to FBS. Not sure how relevant it still is and it wouldn't upset me if they changed the rules for the future but you can't just change rules mid-season no matter how ridiculous people think they are.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Ok so…

We definitely jump #25 Kansas who last to Kansas State
Definitely pass a 4 loss #22 Utah as well.
Probably pass 20 UNC who lost to Clemson.
Maybe #18 Tennessee who lost to Georgia? Hard for me to see a 4 loss team staying ahead of us but who knows.

Do we end up in the 22 slot in the CFP Ranking?

Oh and for kicks, we will definitively pass JMU in the AP poll tomorrow. :lol:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I dont think there is a way for us to go from not ranked to 22. I think 24/25 is reasonable and at this point there isn't much of an argument to say we haven't earned it. Especially with NM St's win over Auburn. But who ever knows what the CFP committee is going to do.
By Ill flame
I bet Tennessee stays ranked, NC state moves into the rankings ahead of us and we sneak in at 25. Idk who else they would rank that's currently not ranked other than nc state.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I don’t see how they can keep us out this week. If you look at style points, Bowling Green should’ve beaten Toledo. Blew that game in the last 2 mins. Aggies dominating Auburn. ODU turning around and beating Georgia Southern. ODU owns a win over APP State.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
As much as I want us to get into the top 25 of the CFP poll, I think they still rank the likes of SMU & UCLA over us. Do I think we slide into #25? I am hopeful, especially after the last two weeks of manhandling the competition.

New Mexico State beating Auburn does help us and if they can also beat JSU next week to set up a potential 10-3 team vs 12-0 for the conference title will also us in the final CFP poll.

I also hope UTSA beats Tulane next week and that may all depend on whether their HC takes the job at Texas A&M. So much drama is unfolding and I love it! Who would've thought we'd be spending lots of time on this conversation this soon?

STRIKE THE STONE!
Sly Fox liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Liberty and Alabama get no respect from committee. Both handily beat their opponents, while other teams barely win games decided by 1 score against weaker opponents . Alabama should be in Top 4 and Liberty in Top 25.
Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]