Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Western Kentucky University
Bowling Green, Kentucky

WKU Football Official Site

Houchen Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium
Opened in 1968 - Seats 23,776

Tyson Helton
5th Season as WKU Head Coach

2023 Schedule/Results

Sep 02 - South Florida ..................................... W 41-24
Sep 09 - Houston Christian .............................. W 52-22
Sep 16 - @ Ohio State ....................................... L 10-63
Sep 23 - @ Troy ................................................ L 24-27
Sep 28 - MTSU .................................................. W 31-10
Oct 05 - @ Louisiana Tech ............................... W 35-28
Oct 17 - @ Jacksonville State ........................... L 17-20
Oct 24 - Liberty ................................................. 7:00 PM ET
Nov 04 - @UTEP
Nov 11 - New Mexico State
Nov 18 - Sam Houston
Nov 25 - @ FIU

Key Players

#16 Austin Reed
6' 2" 220 lbs Senior Quarterback
Thru 7 Games: 174-of-294 (59.18%) for 1915 Yards with 16 TDs & 4 INTs + 26 Carries for 89 Yards (3.4 YPC) with 3 Rushing TDs

#30 Markese Stepp
6' 1" 225 lbs Senior Running Back
Thru 7 Games: 43 Carries for 203 Yards (4.7 YPC) with 2 TDs

#11 Malachi Corley
5' 11" 210 lbs Junior Receiver
Thru 7 Games: 43 Catches for 585 Yards with 5 TDs

#16 Kendrick Simpkins
6' 0" 196 lbs Junior Defensive Back
In 6 Games: 25 Tackles including 7.5 for Loss + 6 QB Hurries + 3 Forced Fumbles

#4 Anthony Johnson Jr.
5' 10" 180 lbs Junior Defensive Back
In 5 Games: 25 Tackles including 1 for Loss + 2 INTs + 1 Blocked Kick
Excited about the opportunity we have here in Bowling Green. Win and we have complete control over our C-USA championship hopes. The loss to Jacksonville State last week leaves WKU with their back against the wall. I am not concerned in the least bit about our offense. But our defense cannot have another let down like they did against Middle Tennessee. We have to shut their passing attack down and control the tempo of the game. Looking forward to a great game.
jmclaughlin liked this
Anyone confident that our front 4 can generate a pass rush without the aid of blitz? WKU eats up blitz packages with quick hitters and if we cant generate a pass rush with 4 or less at the point of attack...we are in trouble in this one.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
A lot of the time, we only rush 3. We have to put pressure on the QB with 4 or less, as some have mentioned. I watched a lot of the JMU game last night. Their front 4 were constantly putting pressure on the Marshall QB and IMHO, that was the difference in the game.
I trust Chadwell and hope we can resolve this.
Hope we play a 4 quarter game this Tuesday night.
Western Kentucky beat MTSU by 3 touchdowns? WOW! :shock:
By Tnobes
LCA&LU Mom wrote: October 21st, 2023, 6:29 am
Ill flame wrote: October 20th, 2023, 4:33 pm Here's pictures of each position groups helmet. I'm not sure what the one to the right of the kicking red grimace is supposed to be though.

Signaling fair catch? Blocking a kick? Cheerleader? Band director? :dontgetit
My guess is defensive back signaling incomplete
By LUOrange
LCA&LU Mom wrote: October 21st, 2023, 6:29 am
Ill flame wrote: October 20th, 2023, 4:33 pm Here's pictures of each position groups helmet. I'm not sure what the one to the right of the kicking red grimace is supposed to be though.

Signaling fair catch? Blocking a kick? Cheerleader? Band director? :dontgetit
I think that McDonald's Grimmace knock-off just wants ahug. I mean, him/her/they/them just wants a hug.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Kolzilla41 wrote: October 20th, 2023, 4:50 pm I wish we would do some stuff like this.
We have a couple of times, but with much more class. We honored the Boys of Bedford on Military Appreciation Day. It was a fantastic tribute to those who served and died. Not some ugly, cartoonish looking character. WKU has a lot to play for this game, based on last weeks loss. Hope we can play 4 quarters of football.
Cider Jim liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Their offense gains 80 less yards per game than their defense allows and our offense gains 150 more yards than our defense allows. Western Kentucky seems to have won games by turnovers, particularly fumbles. They have forced 9 turnovers by fumbles which leads the country in that category. Interestingly both Western Kentucky and Liberty are tied with 18 forced turnovers at the top of the country, but obviously almost all of ours are intercepted.

It could be a protect of their run defense struggling that they strip the ball more (more opportunities). Either way our backs and Salter better take notice of them seemingly focusing on stripping the ball as we have not taken great care of the ball. We have lost fumbles 6 times which is third in the country.
By LUOrange
I don't mind their goofy helmet stickers. It's unique & it might be a gimmick to try and help with student attendance on a Tuesday night. Of course, it doesn't mean that I'm not going to mock it. :D Cause what the heck is ol'Big Red? A knock-off Grimmace? A South Park character? And how does he play in to being a Hilltopper, which I always thought was a ram, not a red Gum Drop.
Cider Jim liked this
LUOrange wrote: October 23rd, 2023, 8:41 am I don't mind their goofy helmet stickers. It's unique & it might be a gimmick to try and help with student attendance on a Tuesday night. Of course, it doesn't mean that I'm not going to mock it. :D Cause what the heck is ol'Big Red? A knock-off Grimmace? A South Park character? And how does he play in to being a Hilltopper, which I always thought was a ram, not a red Gum Drop.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]