Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

MTSU Football Official Site

Rick Stockstill
18th Season as MTSU Head Coach

2023 Schedule/Results

Sep 02 - @ Alabama .......................................... L 7-56
Sep 09 - @ Missouri ........................................... L 19-23
Sep 16 - Murray State ........................................ W 35-14
Sep 23 - Colorado State ..................................... L 23-31
Sep 28 - @ Western Kentucky ............................ L 10-31
Oct 04 - Jax State ............................................... L 30-45
Oct 10 - Louisiana Tech ...................................... W 31-23
Oct 17 - @ Liberty ............................................. 7:00 PM ET
Nov 04 - @ New Mexico State
Nov 11 - FIU
Nov 18 - UTEP
Nov 25 - @ Sam Houston

jmclaughlin liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Three of our former LU professors (two of whom retired recently) all had their doctorates from MTSU. :oldhag :cheerleader :oldhag
Can any oldtimers name them? (HINT--one also coached here and two were in the English Dept.).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I don't have the answers to CH's question even though I am definitely what Medic would refer to as an Old Hag.

But my grandparents used to live in Murfreesboro when it was a sleepy country town long before Nasheville sprawl headed its way. I used to be on the MTSU campus back in the '70s & '80s as well as the Stones River battlefield nearby. That school and town have come a VERY long way since those days.

Old IFB folks may remember it as a Fundy mecca back in the SOTL and Bill Rice Ranch days.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: October 12th, 2023, 4:10 pm Old IFB folks may remember it as a Fundy mecca back in the SOTL and Bill Rice Ranch days.
Does anybody besides Sly and me even know what SOTL stands for?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It would likely be a very short list. Probably the same ones who recall your undergrad alma mater.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Absolutely - my grandparents and my parents used to subscribe to the SOTL. A quick search shows that it is still published, which I did not know.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
After Dr. Rice died and my grandfather exited as editor shortly thereafter, the outfit went into a long decline since the '80s. Having access on the internet for pastors also played a key role in its lack of influence.

As for MTSU, Coach Stockstill has an 18-year run at the school but is not well liked by the fanbase. The only person apparently more reviled by their fans is the AD that keeps giving him extensions based on mediocrity.

That said, this team nearly beat Mizzou earlier this year. So they certainly have the potential to be a trap game for us before we head to WKU the follow week.
By Ill flame
My understanding is that Stockstill receives automatic extensions everytime they win 6+ games which is almost every year for them. Idk if the current AD is the person that gave him that stipulation though. If it was I can understand why he's not well liked. I think a stipulation like that is fine if it's 8+ wins but 6 is settling for mediocrity.
By Baybird
Cider Jim wrote: October 12th, 2023, 7:10 pm
Sly Fox wrote: October 12th, 2023, 4:10 pm Old IFB folks may remember it as a Fundy mecca back in the SOTL and Bill Rice Ranch days.
I would...of course I had his grandfather preach at our church to celebrate his 90th birthday.
Sly Fox liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: October 12th, 2023, 7:10 pm Does anybody besides Sly and me even know what SOTL stands for?
Purple might know. I think he used to be a fundamentalist during his Christian high school balling years. Play Basketball
Last edited by Cider Jim on October 13th, 2023, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Maybe I’m the youngest one who does. Heard Dr. Rice speak several times as a kid. Do they still print and ship the paper?
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Oh yeah, as a I kid I used to look forward to reading what was essentially the current events column with complaints about "liberals", "compromisers" and Southern Baptist. LOL. (I've always liked a bit of controversy). Props to the guy because he was one of the few to standup to Jack Hyles when his infidelities came to light.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Wow, did we go down a rabbit hole in this thread. Mrs. Rice was always exceptionally nice to me when I was a kid.

My grandfather stood up to Jack Hyles after Dr. Rice's death and my grandfather's departure from the SOTL to go back ot his own publication. A quick Google shows that investigation is still online. And it was indeed Doc who was essentially the only one in the IFB world who was willing to stand behind my grandfather. Years later, the investigation he published was substantiated by Hyles' daughter. Crazy days that included death threats and packages full of poop that would be shipped to my grandparents house .. much to the horror of my grandmother.

Everybody all went to the Franklin Road Baptist Church where one of my dad's buddies from CJ's alma mater was the pastor. Man, I haven't thought of any of this in probably four decades.

My other memory of those days was what was one of the first outlet malls in America there along I-24. Randomness.

As for the Blue Raiders, they are strong enough to stel one from us if we don't come to play on Tuesday night.
ATrain, Cider Jim liked this
By Ill flame
I'm not sure if this was happening for other games but I was up late watching the SDSU-Hawaii game last night (it was the only game still on) and CBSSN went out of their way to hype up Liberty and how good of a season Salter is having. Normally I hate it when announcers stop talking about whatever game I'm watching to hype up another completely unrelated game but in this case I'll allow it.
TH Spangler, Baybird, AATL and 2 others liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: October 14th, 2023, 3:28 am
Maybe I’m the youngest one who does. Heard Dr. Rice speak several times as a kid. Do they still print and ship the paper?
Yes. I wonder if they still cut out any part of a Spurgeon (sp?) sermon they print if it has any mention of Calvinism. The SOTL has always been a fundy rag. BUT John R Rice's horse got a degree from HAC. I think he graduated in the same class as our former president, Pervo. Fitting, if you ask me. :D :D
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
My former pastor is the current editor at SOTL.
By jmclaughlin
Just took a glance at the MTSU message board...man, that is a jaded bunch. Not much optimism on the part of the posters for a win tonight for the Blue Raiders. I would say they have more confidence in the Flames than our fan base does.

This game has the feelings of a sluggish one...however, if the Flames can get a good start on both sides of the ball and an early, 2 TD lead, this one could also get lopsided.
If it is close in the middle of the 3rd, I think the advantage goes their way.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Other than one play when Salter came on the field late the offense looks great. The defense not so much so far.
Liberty22 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Frustrating. Defensive line can’t get any pressure and the consistent 5 slants we’re giving up.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
When this defense doesn’t turn the ball over it really is something.
But we knew about Coastal’s defense coming into this.
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]