Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Your post inspired me to see what was on the current SOTL website. Thankfully it appears Curtis Hutson purged my grandfather's presence from the site. Same old complex near the MTSU campus is in use.

Now back to not thinking about the place again for another few decades.
Baybird liked this
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: October 12th, 2023, 4:10 pm I don't have the answers to CH's question even though I am definitely what Medic would refer to as an Old Hag.

But my grandparents used to live in Murfreesboro when it was a sleepy country town long before Nasheville sprawl headed its way. I used to be on the MTSU campus back in the '70s & '80s as well as the Stones River battlefield nearby. That school and town have come a VERY long way since those days.

Old IFB folks may remember it as a Fundy mecca back in the SOTL and Bill Rice Ranch days.
As a born and raised Pentecostal Charismatic...what is SOTL?
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote: October 19th, 2023, 8:54 am As a born and raised Pentecostal Charismatic...what is SOTL?
The Sword of the Lord - once upon a time it was a pretty big deal in fundy circles. It's a shadow of what it used to be, in part because IFB folks can't really get along that well for very long and they keep fragmenting.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: October 18th, 2023, 8:46 pm
phoenix wrote: October 16th, 2023, 2:34 pm
Cider Jim wrote: October 12th, 2023, 7:10 pm
Does anybody besides Sly and me even know what SOTL stands for?
My former pastor is the current editor at SOTL.
Whew, you had it rough. :)
lol - I was a young and didn't know any better. He still has me on the Sword subscription list.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I could say a lot about this game. Defensively we looked out of sorts and tired. A lot of miscues and bad angles were taken through the first 3 quarters. Getting pressure on the opposing QB continues to be a problem, although we did a get better in the 4th quarter there as well. I'm hoping to chalk all this up to us being a target and getting everyone's best in addition to us having played 3 games in less than two weeks.

Offensively, other than the first play of the game, it was an overall success. Kaidon missed a couple of throws, but he ran the ball well. I just always get nervous with him taking contact because he still seems to only use one arm to protect the ball at times.

Fans... would someone please tell the Cheerleaders to stop doing LU chants when we have the ball? I really wish we could get the same message to the game media staff too in regard to playing loud music on offense. Save it for when we're on defense guys... PLEASE.

WKU will still be a big game despite them losing. If we lose then they hold a tiebreaker over us, right? We need to clean up our act on defense and figure out a way to play a full 4 quarters the way we execute in the Flames Quarter. LET'S GO!
AATL, rtb72, Baybird liked this
By Ill flame
I chalk up our issues on the D line to us playing mostly sophomores. I believe Kendy Charles is our only senior and he's getting doubled teamed a lot. Unfortunately no one else is really winning one on one battles in the trenches to cause problems for the opposing O line. It doesnt help that Boti has been out since kendy came back from injury. Hopefully getting them both healthy at the same time will help create more opportunities for our DEs. Give it another year or two and this line should be great assuming we aren't bombarded by transfers again.

Chadwell mentioned after the game that we had two cornerbacks that were out for this game. I'm curious who they were and if we'll get them back next week. As solid as our secondary has been all year I guess this shows how much depth we still need to add if we want to be consistently dominant in all facets of the game.
AATL liked this
By AATL
Humble_Opinion wrote: October 19th, 2023, 10:14 am Defensively we looked out of sorts and tired. A lot of miscues and bad angles were taken through the first 3 quarters.
This. I thought bad angles were at fault for quite a few of their explosives, especially off screens or quick throws over the middle. Case in point, this had no business being a touchdown:

Seems fixable, at least.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Yep. Great snip of a play right there because it actually highlights both of the points I made where not only were there bad angles taken all night on tackles, but this play also had a miscue where it looked like neither player went full on at the WR to take him down because they each thought the other was going to make the play. I think we have pretty good speed in our backfield. We should not have had these issues.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
The DL has not had any sacks in the last 2 games, as I remember. The last game I do not remember any blitzes at all and many times only used a 3 man rush. We need to get some pressure on the opposing QB, every now and then.
LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: October 19th, 2023, 9:26 pm The DL has not had any sacks in the last 2 games, as I remember. The last game I do not remember any blitzes at all and many times only used a 3 man rush. We need to get some pressure on the opposing QB, every now and then.
^^^ Biggest issue I see right now.
By tyndal23
Kricket wrote: October 18th, 2023, 9:55 am
tyndal23 wrote: October 17th, 2023, 11:43 pm
Kricket wrote: October 17th, 2023, 10:59 pm And WKU just lost on a last second FG so we solidly hold first place in the conference.
Worst care scenario for LU NY6 Bowl...
I'm not sure I completely get the logic of this. We beat Jacksonville State on the road, and we will play WKU on the road. Jax State is 6-2 and has almost as much potential to be a quality win as WKU. Perhaps WKU winning very slightly improves our chances at a NY6 bowl... very slightly.

I'll be honest, I'm not overly concerned with the NY6 Bowl. We probably have 1-2 losses in us left this year. We're fortunate to have the record we have. It'd be great if we win out! That being said, if we lose a game or two it'd be nice to win the conference.

Lastly, I'm not convinced we can beat a really strong P5 team. It may be better for us to win out and play a weaker team in a bowl that we can win. An undefeated season may set us up better for the CFP in following seasons than a blow out loss in a NY6 bowl would.

Either way, I'm happy with any and every W for now. It makes this season much more enjoyable.
Pretty Simple - JSU isn’t allowed to play for CUSA title and is a FCS call up . 2nd - WKU - most AP voters know who they are, 3rd - RPI which CFP relies heavily - you want to play highest rated team twice for the all important points when you have a terrible SOS and every point matters - 4th - you want a 2 loss team instead of a 3 loss team to hype the “mighty” Tuesday night CUSA showdown. The bad news is RPI is mainly based on covering the spread - LU has gone backwards 2 of last 3 weeks on “style points”. Doesn’t matter much if you are a blue blood and P5 conference champion - matters more when no one has heard of you with 9th best conference and trying to beat out a 1 loss Tulane.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
RPI? In football? lol
Kricket liked this
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]