Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Jacksonville State University
Jacksonville, Alabama

JSU Football Official Site

We are Jax State Message Board

Burgess Snow Field at JSU Stadium
Opened in 1947 - Seats 24,000

Rich Rodriguez
2nd Season as JSU Head Coach

2023 Schedule/Results

Aug 26 - UTEP* ............................... W 17-14
Sep 02 - East Tennessee St ............. W 49-3
Sep 09 - @ Coastal Carolina ............ L 16-30
Sep 23 - Eastern Michigan .............. W 21-0
Sep 28 - @ Sam Houston* .............. W 35-28 OT
Oct 04 - @ MTSU* ........................... W 45-30
Oct 10 - Liberty* .............................. 6:30 PM CT
Oct 17 - WKU*
Oct 25 - @ FIU*
Nov 04 - @ South Carolina
Nov 18 - Louisiana Tech*
Nov 25 - @ New Mexico State*
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Key Players

#7 Logan Smothers
6' 2" 200 lbs Junior Quarterback
Thru 6 Games: 50-of-84 (59%) for 523 Yards with 5 TDs & 1 INT + 57 Carries for 240 Yards (4.2 YPC) with 5 Rushing TDs

#5 Malik Jackson
5' 10" 180 lbs Senior Running Back
Thru 6 Games: 98 Carries for 558 Yards (5.7 YPC) with 4 TDs + 12 Catches for 64 Yards

#14 Perry Carter
5' 10" 175 lbs Senior Receiver
Thru 6 Games: 13 Catches for 227 Yards (17 YPR) with 2 TDs

#91 Chris Hardie
6' 2" 270 lbs Junior Defensive Lineman
Thru 6 Games: 36 Tackles including 9.0 for Loss with 3.5 Sacks + 1 INT

#10 Quae Drake
6' 1" 225 lbs Senior Linebacker
Thru 6 Games: Team-Leading 43 Tackles including 2.5 for Loss + 1 INT
By jmclaughlin
Just noticed that the line has moved to 7 for LU in this one. Hoping there is a good reason that the line moved +2 points from the open.
This one is a bit scary in how we match up.
Their commitment to the up-tempo running game is a bit worrisome for our front 7. Being thin already, we may get worn down by the 2nd half. I hope we deflate the ball a little on our end and do the same, without tempo.

Tuesday night football...weird
By AATL
jmclaughlin wrote: Their commitment to the up-tempo running game is a bit worrisome for our front 7. Being thin already, we may get worn down by the 2nd half. I hope we deflate the ball a little on our end and do the same, without tempo.
Agreed - this one makes me nervous for this reason. Liberty is thin up front and has been inconsistent in stuffing the run or keeping QBs in the pocket this year. Jax State has struggled through the air, so hopefully the DBs can handle some extra stress and the defense can stuff some extra hats in the box.

Getting a healthy Cooley and Lucas back would be a huge boost for establishing the run early and limiting possessions, but I haven't heard much about the status of either beyond HCJC's "hopefully" comments in the weekly presser.
jmclaughlin liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Agreed on that... I also am nervous about this game for two main reasons: 1) our kicking game is very suspect right now. Hard to win close games if you can't convert FGs from inside of 40yds. 2) Item 1 doesn't matter if you're scoring TDs and we've done plenty of that through the first few weeks of the season. We looked not so good last Thursday though with two drives stalling in the red zone, one at the 5yd line. Both ended up with 0 points because of Item 1.

If KSalt shows up tonight and the offense has their head in the game, I'll feel better about our chances. If we play like last week though, I think we're going to be disappointed with the result.
AATL, Crazy Joe Davola liked this
By Crazy Joe Davola
Gonna be a tough game this one, they are performing way better this season that I thought they would, fair enough. If we win the battle in the trenches and cut down on the penalties, I think we will come away with the victory.

Flames 27 JSU 21.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 10th, 2023, 3:37 pm JSU has the worst parking for :football of any school I have visited. With their parking, they should have never been invited to FBS.
You couldn't find a place to park your bicycle? Man. it must be terrible.
Just John liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Have the same feeling I had before the FIU game, they have a lot of grown men on that team. Hopefully they look like Tarzan and play like Jane.

Good guys 31
JSU 20
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]