Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
They found the offense from two games ago!

I just think it's amazing that the two RBs that we had last year left and aren't doing much of anything on their new teams, when they both could have been major contributors here this season. Glad we were able to "restock" the RB room.
By jmclaughlin
No matter what…this LU team is better than expected through 6 games. Some frustrations early in this one but the coaching adjustments have been tremendous all season. Again tonight.
We were fortunate with Jackson getting injured early and their tempo working against their own D in the 2nd half. That JSU D was gassed as Cooley just kept pulling the wagon down the field.
Great Win for the Flames!!
tyndal23, Liberty22, Baybird liked this
By tyndal23
jmclaughlin wrote: October 10th, 2023, 11:14 pm No matter what…this LU team is better than expected through 6 games. Some frustrations early in this one but the coaching adjustments have been tremendous all season. Again tonight.
We were fortunate with Jackson getting injured early and their tempo working against their own D in the 2nd half. That JSU D was gassed as Cooley just kept pulling the wagon down the field.
Great Win for the Flames!!
Couldn’t have said it better myself...would have bet the farm that 31-13 score went the other way after last week.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JSU has an old stadium, but their game operations was good. Their music was mostly Alabama songs.Lots of Liberty fans there. LU band and cheerleaders did not make the trip.
By AATL
rtb72 wrote: October 10th, 2023, 11:25 pm Quentin Cooley is HIM!
He's a bowling ball. Or battering ram. Whatever adjective you like. I feel like I watch him run into piles of front seven bodies and fall forward with three guys on his back and then look down and suddenly he has 100+ yards at 5-6 yards a pop. He's strong and consistent, for sure.

He had some nice vision and cuts last night as well, though.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I was worried about midway through the first quarter after we came out flat the first few drives and then they scored. I think the strengths of our team became really clear last night.

1) Offensive Line - especially in the run game, JSU stacked the box numerous times and at first it was tough-sledding, but we wore them down to the point where midway through the 3rd quarter, they just couldn't stop us anymore.

2) Running Backs - Cooley is a beast. The announcers were referring to him as "baby bull". I kind of like that... he just has that combination of low center of gravity/thick frame that makes him hard to bring down. His vision was exceptional last night too. I thought Billy Lucas had some good runs as well. Bedgood had a great run that was called back due to CJ Daniels slipping and blocking an LB low.

3) Defensive Backs - These guys keep getting better. Hodge needs to work on getting his head around at the right time to track the ball and avoid PI calls, but he also had a few solid plays and an almost pick-6 at the end. Brylan Greene seems to be a star in the making with his ball tracking on deep throws. The run support last night was great too.

Our WR group is underrated. That and LB seemed to be the worry-spots for us heading into the season, but they all seem to have great hands and YAC potential. They took away CJ Daniels last night but got burned by Sibley and Bedgood. We've seen Smoot pop off too. Just need to stay healthy.

Last, but not least, the Coaching staff. From the work they have done with Salter, to the improvements we've seen on offense - I really think these guys are great. They have the right temperament and cultural mindset for LU. I really hope Chadwell can be taken at his work when he says this is a long-term venture for him.
flamehunter, BlueBlood, LUOrange and 5 others liked this
By BlueBlood
Good analysis HO.

Yeah, I was worried early. Thought it was becoming the quick turnaround road game nightmare many of us feared.

Great result for LU.

Also, hats off to Jax St. for showing up. The crowd looked very respectable on TV. You can tell that they have the same type of excitement that LU did/does coming into FBS. I know folks down-talk FCS call-ups, but honestly they bring more excitement than established G5s.
flamehunter, Baybird liked this
By Ill flame
flamehunter wrote: October 11th, 2023, 12:34 pm Is it just me or does this coaching staff seem to be the best we've had in some time at making in-game adjustments?
This is an area the last coaching staff did pretty well in but so far chadwell does seem to be doing better. I'm most impressed by how much this team is improving over the course of the season. This is not the same team that played against bowling green, especially on defense. I love what I'm seeing so far.
By Ill flame
On another note we only had three drives in the second half last night not including the last one when we took a knee which is absolutely insane. The advantages of playing a slow tempo were certainly on display in the second half of this game.

I sometimes wonder if that tempo works against us though considering we generally have more talent and depth than our opponents. Does limiting our offense to 3 drives in a half hurt us by limiting the amount we can score and wear down their defense or does it help more to keep their offense off the field? Of course that answer can change from game to game. HCHF would often change tempo based on our opponent, generally playing hurry up unless we are playing against a team with more talent then he would slow down the game. To be clear I'm not complaining, this offense is very effective and if ain't broke don't fix it but it's something I've thought about during the last couple games.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]