Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote:On another note we only had three drives in the second half last night not including the last one when we took a knee which is absolutely insane. The advantages of playing a slow tempo were certainly on display in the second half of this game.

I sometimes wonder if that tempo works against us though considering we generally have more talent and depth than our opponents. Does limiting our offense to 3 drives in a half hurt us by limiting the amount we can score and wear down their defense or does it help more to keep their offense off the field? Of course that answer can change from game to game. HCHF would often change tempo based on our opponent, generally playing hurry up unless we are playing against a team with more talent then he would slow down the game. To be clear I'm not complaining, this offense is very effective and if ain't broke don't fix it but it's something I've thought about during the last couple games.
I think this is a fair question to ask, as it seems like we can run up the score a bit more. I think the other thing with our slow tempo is that sometimes it's literally too slow and we take a Delay of Game penalty or have to use a timeout. That should not be happening. However, specifically against JSU, I think this was a halftime adjustment that HCJC made to the game plan. By physically imposing our will on JSU and daring them to stop the run, it opened things up a bit for KSalt and helped settle him down. The more important impact of this though was for our defense, as it limited JSU's number of snaps and kept our guys fresh and ready to make plays on that side of the ball. The whole goal of going up-tempo is to keep the Defense on their heels by forcing them to only play in a base defense, while also tiring them out at the same time. I don't know if it would have worked the same had their starting QB not been injured, but the strategy seemed to play out how HCJC wanted it to in the 2nd half.
Liberty22 liked this
By Ill flame
For context chadwell coached teams ran a play every 28.5 seconds over the last three years which is among the slowest in cfb. The median is about 25.5 seconds, the fastest teams are around 20 seconds and we averaged around 24 seconds per play under HCHF. I'm not sure this offense even works with an uptempo pace but if we just ran an average tempo it would equal another offensive drive per game. The assumption is that our defense has more depth than nearly all of our opponents defenses so we would tire them out faster than we tire out and that extra drive for both teams would favor us.

I see the pros and cons either way. He obviously understands the game and his teams strengths and weaknesses much better than me. As long as we keep winning he could punt on first down for all I care, I'm used to watching big ten west football anyway so it won't feel out of place.
jmclaughlin, Baybird liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
One difference I like about HCHF vs. HF is that while yes, Freeze had a somewhat slow tempo too, he would change it up after big plays and rush to the line to quickly start the next play. The problem is almost EVERYTIME the play he would run would be a run play (handoff or draw) and it was almost ALWAYS stuffed for minimal gain. I appreciate the methodical nature of HCJC's philosophy and ensuring we're always in a good play situationally speaking.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: October 10th, 2023, 6:12 pm Have the same feeling I had before the FIU game, they have a lot of grown men on that team. Hopefully they look like Tarzan and play like Jane.
That's a GREAT quote!!! :lol:
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]