Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
MTSU (1-4) ................ 10
WKU (3-2) .................. 31

Final

Jax State (4-1) ........... 35
Sam Houston (0-4) .... 28

Final - OT

La Tech (3-3) ............. 24
UTEP (1-5) ................ 10

Final
By Ill flame
I'm not sure what to think about that Jax state- Sam Houston state game. Did SHSU develop an offense or was Jacksonville states defense just tired from being on 5 days rest? I'm kind of suprised this game was as high scoring as it was.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Sam had their biggest home crowd in over a decade and came out fired up for their first CUSA game. But going up by eight with 1:08 to go in the 4th quarter and then losing in OT has to be soul-crushing. Not sure what to make of JSU's performance.

WKU dominated their rivals in the 100 Miles of Hate game against MTSU.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: September 29th, 2023, 9:18 am I'm not sure what to think about that Jax state- Sam Houston state game. Did SHSU develop an offense or was Jacksonville states defense just tired from being on 5 days rest? I'm kind of suprised this game was as high scoring as it was.
I just think they started with 3 pretty tough games and aren't as bad as their record and stats indicate. Not saying we shouldn't destroy them at home, but just saying they aren't a high school team we should overlook.
By walksports
Was there last night. Thought the secondary of both teams were challenged, perhaps Jacksonville State a little bit more so early in the contest. The Gamecocks third quarter score came on a great route run by the WR, who got wide open on his defender and Smothers led him with a beautiful ball for the score.

Jacksonville State also seemed to run the ball easier than SHSU - and stats bore that out.

Two whole sections of the student section - opposite the press box - weren't in at kickoff as the addition of the CSC personnel at the North entrances couldn't move everyone through quick enough. South entrances, which could have handled some of that, weren't publicized well enough. But after halftime those same student sections thinned out pretty well.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I was planning on being there as well until a family birthday celebration popped up last minute. Yeah, the security hiccups seemed to be an issue for my friends who were there as well.

I am sure Sam is thrilled with the gate even if the final results were miserable.
By tyndal23
At this moment in time - better for LU to have J St win that one. Better for FPI - IF we beat them both. Need 3 teams to accumulate as many wins as possible rather than 8 teams hovering around .500 or worse.
LUOrange, Baybird liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I keep reading about their wonderful crowd last nite but it looked like no more than 10k at most 🤔 And u could hear individual people cheering on the broadcast. Just screamed D2 to me all around, including that track.
If that’s progress for them, we need to get out of this conference already.
#Curmudgeon

*been a rough week in the Philly metro. Again. Thanks Krasner.
JK37 liked this
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: September 29th, 2023, 2:07 pm At this moment in time - better for LU to have J St win that one. Better for FPI - IF we beat them both. Need 3 teams to accumulate as many wins as possible rather than 8 teams hovering around .500 or worse.
I agree it makes a big difference in perception although it doesn't have a meaningful affect on fpi. Beating one 10-2 and one 2-10 looks better than beating two 6-6 teams for some reason. For that reason I'm rooting for WKU and JAX state to win out the rest of their games except against us so we can at least pretend those are good wins. It's tough to do that if everyone is hovering around. 500 even if the overall SOS is identical.
By walksports
Being there, I'd definitely say it was more than 10K when everyone made it in. (And again, everybody was still there up until halftime, when students started to leave.)

Capacity is 14,000. School reported 14,566, but every seat wasn't taken.

Sly Fox referenced $65 million for an upgrade to Bowers in his "Game #5: Sam Houston State" post. I announce two high school cross country meets for the track and field HC at SHSU. I can't be specific with what he shared with me at the first meet three weeks ago, but it was consistent with the upgrade activities to bring it in line with FBS football.
PAmedic wrote: September 29th, 2023, 7:04 pm I keep reading about their wonderful crowd last nite but it looked like no more than 10k at most 🤔 And u could hear individual people cheering on the broadcast. Just screamed D2 to me all around, including that track.
If that’s progress for them, we need to get out of this conference already.
#Curmudgeon

*been a rough week in the Philly metro. Again. Thanks Krasner.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
In other news, there is video going around of a LA Tech player stomping on a UTEP lineman's neck.

What I don't understand is what happened to SHSU's defense these past two games. They hold Air Force and BYU to a couple touchdowns, then allow Houston and Jax State to score 30+????
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]