Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Liberty Football goes to 4-0 in the young football season, early in the HCJC era and William Byron wins his 6th race of the season on his way to the next NASCAR Play-off round. Am I wrong that it bothers me not to have heard one word of acknowledgement to the one who ultimately makes this all possible? I don't expect a revival meeting or a laying on of hands when someone is interviewed, but a simple "thank God for a safe race" or "thank God for my team mates that have encouraged me" or even "it's a blessing to be able to coach these kids" would seem to be in order from a player, driver or coach from the leading evangelical institution in America. It seems to me that I hear more bold spiritual references from players and coaches from secular entities. Is there a concerted effort to show that we are more worldly or am I just too sensitive?
Kiwon liked this
Most of America knows what Liberty stands for. Just seeing the Liberty name across the TV screens, gets the name out there. Liberty got a lot of advertising this weekend.
Also Bill Gaither Vocal Band was at TRBC tonight, which brought a few thousand visitors to campus.
Not the point, many who contribute to the University do so in the hope that young people are being positively affected by the Gospel and a simple acknowledgement of from whom all blessings flow would be some evidence of that growth. It's supposed to mean more on the mountain.
I must say that I am on ASOR every day and listen to every podcast and press conference and I hear a lot of sports news, but I hear nothing about the spiritual progress of players or what spiritual themes are being shared as we did with HCHF the past several years. In fact, I see more spiritual conversation and references on the Auburn Twitter threads than any of LU'S sports news or chats. I really have no desire for LU to becoming a national power in sports without the accompanying spiritual fabric. Wake Forest started as a Baptist school, Duke as a Methodist school but you would be hard pressed to find any evidence of that foundation today. I really hope and pray that Liberty does not go down that road.
Kiwon, ATrain, jmclaughlin and 1 others liked this
Racenut wrote: September 25th, 2023, 12:40 am Not the point, many who contribute to the University do so in the hope that young people are being positively affected by the Gospel and a simple acknowledgement of from whom all blessings flow would be some evidence of that growth. It's supposed to mean more on the mountain.
I must say that I am on ASOR every day and listen to every podcast and press conference and I hear a lot of sports news, but I hear nothing about the spiritual progress of players or what spiritual themes are being shared as we did with HCHF the past several years. In fact, I see more spiritual conversation and references on the Auburn Twitter threads than any of LU'S sports news or chats. I really have no desire for LU to becoming a national power in sports without the accompanying spiritual fabric. Wake Forest started as a Baptist school, Duke as a Methodist school but you would be hard pressed to find any evidence of that foundation today. I really hope and pray that Liberty does not go down that road.
Racenut, I understand your concerns and agree with most of your points. Here are a couple of thoughts:

-In fairness, Flames Central Podcast regularly features stories regarding athletes or coaches' spiritual journeys. Several of these are well done and have won journalism awards. Also, I have heard various students and coaches talk about their faith spontaneously in several different interviews. However, though, I think you are correct that most of the time the on-air talent sticks to sports talk and doesn't use much spiritual verbiage. I would assume this is intentional for specific reasons.

-I don't mind saying that I was the first person on this board to suggest Hugh Freeze as HC when he was hired. He is a superior communicator and did a great job while he was here. That said, as he would attest, I do think that God sent him to Auburn to be a witness. That's why I hate the "He left us!" nonsense and LU fans hoping for him to fail. He is in the secular lions den (tigers den) and there will be a lot of non-Christian bigots yearning for his dismissal. You can book it, his participation in the on-campus baptism service this past week will be used against him when he is eventually let go one day in the future.

That said, I am very appreciative for JC and his staff. As a whole, I think they "get" the Liberty mission and are doing a great job getting settled in. HF was at a redemptive point in his life after significant personal failure. God gave him another chance on the SEC stage. JC is at a different point in his life and gives every indication that he wants to take LU and its Christian mission to new heights, albeit he is less verbal than Freeze was. But actions speak louder than words and we are only four games in on his first season. Let's give him some time.

-America is more secular and growing bolder and less tolerant of Christians and biblical truth with each passing year. Your skepticism regarding LU's fidelity to its founding mission is understandable. However, if there is a major Christian school that will not lose sight of its founding vision it is Liberty. There are so many solid Christians invested spiritually and financially who realize that all the new buildings and sports accolades mean absolutely nothing if Christ is not honored, and young people's lives are not impacted by the truth of God's Word. Some don't get it, but most do, IMHO. So, I have a lot of hope.

However, your word of caution is well warranted and should be appreciated by all.

I do hope the LU on-air media talent will feel free to express their faith and realize that it is a big encouragement to LU fans and the listening audience. And William Byron is Liberty's highest profile ambassador and a special talent. However, he's got a mic on him for hours every week recording his every word, good or bad, as he drives inches from other cars at 200mph. I wouldn't want to switch positions with him. But that's the world he lives in and for every "Hell, yeah!" he yells it would be nice to hear a few "Praise God!" comments as well. (But, that said, I did laugh when he referred to his Liberty Chevy as "bad a.s.s" after he won. He wasn't lying. It was a great win. :) )
TH Spangler, flamehunter, Baybird and 1 others liked this
It’s a hollow proclamation at this point. Listening to some of the folks who want to thank God for their success has absolutely lessened the impact. I would not know at this point if anyone said it. Nor frankly care.
thesportscritic liked this
IMHO, acknowledging God in a moment of triumph is hardly gratuitous. Or should we give praise only in the confines of a worship service or in times where we need to ask God for something. On the contrary, when we give praise in the places that we believe God has blessed us, be they large or small, it is our natural testimony.
By the way, Loved HCHF and it is awesome to see what God is doing through him. I also think that HCJC will take us to even more success. There are too many "coincidences" in the career of William Byron not to give praise. It is no secret to me that God has sent Dr Costin for times such as these.
God has His hand in all things and my praise will never be hollow.
You’re approaching from the standpoint of a believer, which I totally understand and respect. My thought is in line with PH: listening to all the professional wife beaters and coke heads give “glory to gahd” in photo ops has diluted it to the point I don’t wanna hear it.
It also may be a regional thing, but to me it comes across as totally disingenuous.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but pretty much every video/short story/interview with players or coaches includes something about praise/thanks for God. I think you're being a little overreactive here. IDK about what Byron does, but if you go to the Liberty University Flames YouTube channel you can view all the pieces, they put out on official athletics social media accounts for Facebook, X, etc. The most recent on Quinton Cooley was an awesome tribute to his overcoming severe circumstances as a child to land finally at LU where he's seeing success on the field. I follow several players on X and have seen several posts on this topic... not sure what you want here?
Purple Haize, Dalegarz1, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
Certainly not talking about anything LU produced, your garden variety non-LU sports fan is not going to go looking for that. By the way, Matt and co. are without peer in the production of collegiate events or features. I'm talking about post game/race interviews or pressers that the general public consumes. What is said unrehearsed when a mic is shoved in your face. Who do we credit when we get that podium? We should all be ready to give an account for the joy that is in us.
PAmedic wrote: September 25th, 2023, 11:19 am You’re approaching from the standpoint of a believer, which I totally understand and respect. My thought is in line with PH: listening to all the professional wife beaters and coke heads give “glory to gahd” in photo ops has diluted it to the point I don’t wanna hear it.
It also may be a regional thing, but to me it comes across as totally disingenuous.
Your intelligence is inversely proportional to your height
PAmedic liked this
Racenut wrote: September 25th, 2023, 6:04 pm Certainly not talking about anything LU produced, your garden variety non-LU sports fan is not going to go looking for that. By the way, Matt and co. are without peer in the production of collegiate events or features. I'm talking about post game/race interviews or pressers that the general public consumes. What is said unrehearsed when a mic is shoved in your face. Who do we credit when we get that podium? We should all be ready to give an account for the joy that is in us.
Just because he attended Liberty and is sponsored by them does not automatically mean he's in a place spiritually where those kind of sound bites are natural or right for him. I don't know where he is spiritually but I'd rather he not state an obligatory "Glory to God" if that's not what he naturally feels after a big win. Pray for him is all I can say and that God gets the glory regardless of what the guy says.
ATrain liked this
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]