Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Florida International University
Miami, Florida

FIU Football Official Site

FIU Football Stadium
Opened in 1995 - Seats 23,500

Mike MacIntyre
2nd Season FIU Head Coach

2023 Schedule/Results

Aug 26 - @ Louisiana Tech* ....................................... L 17-22
Sep 02 - Maine .......................................................... W 14-12
Sep 09 - North Texas ................................................. W 46-39
Sep 16 - @ UConn ..................................................... W 24-17
Sep 23 - Liberty* (Homecoming/Parents Weekend)
Oct 04 - @ New Mexico State*
Oct 11 - UTEP*
Oct 18 - @ Sam Houston*
Oct 25 - Jacksonville State*
Nov 11 - @ MTSU*
Nov 18 - @ Arkansas
Nov 25 - WKU*
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
MacIntyre has turned things around in Miami much quicker than anyone expected. They have back-to-back impressive victories after struggling the first two weeks. They are starting to click.

Incidentally, we used to be homecoming fodder for schools every year back in the day. I guess it surprised me a bit to see FIU schedule us for homecoming. Let the record show, FIU is notorious for horrible home crowds so this shouldn't be a significant factor on Saturday. Just struck me.

I had hoped to make this trip but then my health issues combined with a surprising anmount of unexpected work travel this fall through a monkey wrench into my plans. But I know that we have a very large alumni base in South & Central Florida. It would be fantastic if we can once again flip the home field advantage like we apparently did in Buffalo yesterday.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
I watched most of that FIU/UCONN game. FIU has some athletes that can give us problems if we sleep walk into this game but they are not a good team. If we come in to this game motivated like we have been we should win this game by at least 2 scores. Uconn was doing everything they could to stop the run and their weak secondary was exploited. I don't think our secondary will get burned very often if we use the same strategy.

I don't know what FIU will try to do to stop our offense but I really don't think they are capable unless salter reverts back to last years form. As long as he keeps playing like he does I really don't think any defense on our schedule can keep us from putting 30+ points on the scoreboard.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
G5 Football Daily wrote:FIU Football: QB Keyone Jenkins is Maturing Quickly
KEVIN BARRAL

The FIU Panthers are 3-0 under freshman quarterback Keyone Jenkins. The Miami Central High School product has already thrown for 867 yards, five touchdowns and three interceptions.

His teammates have noticed.

"He's a playmaker. He's a magician, almost, in my opinion," wide receiver Dean Patterson said this week. "Kind of made some sneaky plays, especially when a play breaks down...I'm really proud of Keyone and how far he's grown on and off the field. I really hope he continues to thrive in this position."
Click Here for Full Story
By 2009panther
Panther fan here. Regarding homecoming , we tend to put our harder games in the slot. Think it’s intended to help the team since we draw so few fans.

Jenkins has been a revelation for us. We’d have won the La Tech game had he started (should’ve won it anyways). The team isn’t great but they’re improving. Hoping for a good close game and that Vegas is off by a good margin again.
jmclaughlin, LUOrange, Sly Fox and 2 others liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Since this is an away game for LU fans, does anyone which ESPN channel the game will be on this Saturday?
By AATL
2009panther wrote: September 18th, 2023, 5:16 pm Panther fan here. Regarding homecoming , we tend to put our harder games in the slot. Think it’s intended to help the team since we draw so few fans.

Jenkins has been a revelation for us. We’d have won the La Tech game had he started (should’ve won it anyways). The team isn’t great but they’re improving. Hoping for a good close game and that Vegas is off by a good margin again.
Welcome! It's been fun to see FIU get off to a strong start in non-conference games. LU knows firsthand about Jim Mora's squad, and it's always a pleasure to see an AAC school go down. Looking forward to the game Saturday and wishing you guys success after this weekend :wink:
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By Veritas
Cider Jim wrote: September 18th, 2023, 5:32 pm Since this is an away game for LU fans, does anyone which ESPN channel the game will be on this Saturday?
It's a plus broadcast this week, not a linear ESPN channel. Looks like the next two ESPN broadcasts after this weekend will be on ESPNU.
Cider Jim liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is indeed an ESPN+ experience which can be a blessing or curse depending on your circumstances.

Key Players

#1 Keyone Jenkins
5' 11" 190 lbs Fesshman Quarterback
In 3 Games: 50-of-89 (56%) for 867 Yards with 5 TDs & 3 INTs + 29 Carries for 64 Yards & 1 Rushing TD

#0 Shomari Lawrence
6' 0" 200 lbs Sophomore Running Back
Thru 4 Games: 47 Carries for 291 Yards with 2 Rushing TDs + 3 Catches for 15 Yards

#10 Kris Mitchell
6' 1" 175 lbs Junior Receiver
Thru 4 Games: 10 Receptions for 370 Yards and 4 TDs

#10 Donovan Manuel
6' 1" 230 lbs Senior Linebacker
Thru 4 Games: 48 Tackles including 7 for Loss + 3 Forced Fumbles

#24 D'Verik Daniel
5' 10" 210 lbs Senior Defensive Back
Thru 4 Games: 35 Tackles incuding 1 for Loss + 1 INT
Cider Jim liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
FIU Official Site wrote:Faith moves mountains: Meet Panther Defensive back CJ Christian

By Gisela Valencia
September 19, 2023 at 11:13am

C.J. Christian has loved football since he was five years old. He would spend his days on a football field in his hometown of Normal, Illinois, watching his older brothers play, his sister cheerleading and his mom coaching the cheerleaders.

“I was around football 24/7,” he says. “I couldn’t wait to play.” When he turned seven, the age minimum at his youth league, he threw himself into the sport and never looked back.
Very cool testimony cming from a kid playing for a state university.
“I am the vine, you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me, you can do nothing.” These are the words of Jesus Christ, recorded in John 15:5. They are tattooed on Christian’s left arm.

Along with “Christian” in bold script across his chest, “Fear God” on his biceps and a cross near his shoulder, these tattoos point to the uniting thread running across Christian’s life: his faith in Christ.

“When I open the Bible and choose a passage to read,” he says, “I feel that God’s talking to me. And I know that He’s still watching over me.”

When he got injured last year, he trusted God.

“I know that God’s got a plan for me,” he says. “I told myself, ‘I’m just going to keep working hard.’ I never imagined myself in Miami, playing football. This is what I’ve prayed for. It’s never supposed to be easy. You can never take it for granted.”
Baybird liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: September 17th, 2023, 10:09 am MacIntyre has turned things around in Miami much quicker than anyone expected. They have back-to-back impressive victories after struggling the first two weeks. They are starting to click.

Incidentally, we used to be homecoming fodder for schools every year back in the day. I guess it surprised me a bit to see FIU schedule us for homecoming. Let the record show, FIU is notorious for horrible home crowds so this shouldn't be a significant factor on Saturday. Just struck me.

I had hoped to make this trip but then my health issues combined with a surprising anmount of unexpected work travel this fall through a monkey wrench into my plans. But I know that we have a very large alumni base in South & Central Florida. It would be fantastic if we can once again flip the home field advantage like we apparently did in Buffalo yesterday.
Hope you feel better soon and continue to improve. I can justify trips to away games in NY state (we were also at Syracuse in 2021), but Miami is not a trip we can justify this year. Hope we'll have a good crowd there, bigger than what we had in Buffalo! Go Flames!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Miami Herald wrote:Give them Liberty? Unbeaten Flames are next up for surging FIU football team

BY WALTER VILLA MIAMI HERALD WRITER
UPDATED SEPTEMBER 21, 2023 10:54 AM

With a victory over the undefeated Liberty Flames on Saturday night, host FIU would match its victory total from last season. Mike MacIntyre, hired in December of 2021 to turn around an FIU football program that had sunk to 1-11 in the final season under previous coach Butch Davis, went 4-8 last year.

The next logical step for MacIntyre and the Panthers is to get at least six wins to become bowl eligible. So far, FIU is off to a 3-1 start, including three straight wins with true freshman Keyone Jenkins at quarterback.
AATL liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
A rare story from the local fishwrap ...
NewsAdvance.com wrote:Liberty heads to FIU facing "biggest challenge to date"

Ben Cates

Liberty heads to Miami searching for its first road win against a fellow Conference USA opponent Saturday evening, and the opponent may well present particular challenges for the Flames.

Florida International University has won three straight games since opening the season with a 22-17 loss to Louisiana Tech, and the Panthers have showcased their athleticism in all three of those victories. LU and FIU face off at 6:30 p.m. Saturday in a game that can be viewed on ESPN+.
Baybird liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Tidy white from head to toe for the Flames ....

We get the first possession and immediately are on the move under KSalt
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
KSalt making it look easy on the TD pass to Bentley

7-0 Flames with 11:21 to go in 1st Qtr
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He hit Sibley in stride on that TD strike.

Don't show up late to this game because it is 14-nil just minutes into the game.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
We are bigger and significantly faster than them.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Anxious to see how KSalt responds to that 1st INT.

FIU offense getting a rhythm in this 3rd possession.
rtb72 liked this
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Can anyone explain why the audio broadcast is behind a payroll from the website?
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]