Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
He’s better, no doubt. And we haven’t played very good competition. Experience is a great teacher. And we all look better when our opponent isn’t good.
By Ill flame
rtb72 wrote: September 17th, 2023, 6:16 pm So what is it as to why Salter has made such a huge leap? I'm really interested in thoughts, here. I think he loves the game and has been serious about being a great QB, but it seems he just did not grow (buy-in, absorb, embrace, learn) from the last methodology of our past coaching staff. Everybody learns/grows differently, I get that. I'm just wondering if for KSalt...the approach and teaching of HCJC and staff, has been more of what he responds to? The turn around has not only been amazing...it has raised this question to me. The talent has been there. (Sorry if this should be a different thread)
I remember Freeze being frustrated last year because Salter kept going to one of the GAs for help and never coming to any of the actual coaches. I think confidence definitely played a role but I also think salter wasn't listening to his coaches for one reason or another last year. I don't think the previous coaching staffs tough love approach worked for him while chadwells light hearted approach is working much better.
ballcoach15, rtb72 liked this
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
On TV, it looked like we had a good many Flames at the game. I thought I heard a comment on the radio that might have outnumbered them. Anyone that was at the game to confirm?
ATrain liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I think most of Salter's improvement can be attributed to the current coaching staff. HCJC and co. just seem like a better all-around fit on the mountain than HF was. Having a QB battle throughout camp with a promised deadline to have a real choice at the end is just more beneficial to all parties involved. The QB battle this year was just handled much better than the one under HF last season.

KSalt's preparation seems to have finally caught up to his skill level and I think it's paying dividends for him. You feel for Bennett, because he has helped this team many times during his career here, but I think it's safe to say that HCJC made the right choice. KSalt seems to be improving each week. Hopefully, that trend continues, and the winning makes him hungrier. If that happens, the next few years could be really exciting.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m not sure we’ve seen the last of Bennett. No inside info, just a gut feeling that we may need him before the end of the year. And if it comes to it, I’m glad we have him!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We will definitely need JB and his experience as the season progresses. Which is why I was hoping that he & Lowe could have gotten to the field a little sooner on Saturday.
By LUOrange
Humble_Opinion wrote: September 18th, 2023, 9:57 am I think most of Salter's improvement can be attributed to the current coaching staff. HCJC and co. just seem like a better all-around fit on the mountain than HF was. Having a QB battle throughout camp with a promised deadline to have a real choice at the end is just more beneficial to all parties involved. The QB battle this year was just handled much better than the one under HF last season.

KSalt's preparation seems to have finally caught up to his skill level and I think it's paying dividends for him. You feel for Bennett, because he has helped this team many times during his career here, but I think it's safe to say that HCJC made the right choice. KSalt seems to be improving each week. Hopefully, that trend continues, and the winning makes him hungrier. If that happens, the next few years could be really exciting.
I agree with you on most things here, but you're also suffering from some recency bias too. Let's not forget that Brewer was named the starter and then suffered the unforeseen hand injury, which was followed up by Salter's injury. Both of which gave us our QB mess last year. If either of them didn't get hurt last year, we probably would've picked up another win or 3. And as much as I like JB, IMO, he's not good enough to be the everyday QB. I think that was evident, even in his scrub minutes vs. Buffalo. Lowe or Hampton would be better picks to be QB1. I wish him well though, and imagine he has a great future in coaching.
By Ill flame
I think it's all valid points. If Salter was the guy from the beginning last year instead of Brewer how many more reps would he have had in camp before the season to prepare? We saw flashes of what he could do last year when healthy. I think if he would've stayed healthy we would've seen more of what we're seeing now by the end of the season but that's all water under the bridge.

As for Bennett, I like having him around as the backup. He's proven he's capable of stepping in and doing enough to win games for us if needed. I won't judge him based on a couple trash time series where everyone knew they would run the ball twice to burn the clock and throw on third and long. I just hope we continue to run up the score against these weak teams so we can continue to get backups experience. That's partially why Clemson was as good as they were for so long despite never recruiting at an elite level.
LUOrange, ATrain liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Valid points about Brewer and the controversy last year. I did forget about that. Makes you wonder what it would have looked like if Brewer had stayed healthy because he went out so early in that first game. I still think HCHF didn't have the patience and style to get Kaidon to buy-in and develop to where he is now.

And to JB's (I think it was him?) credit, I think there was a throw he made downfield that was dropped by Fortenberry that looked pretty catchable.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote: September 17th, 2023, 10:04 pm On TV, it looked like we had a good many Flames at the game. I thought I heard a comment on the radio that might have outnumbered them. Anyone that was at the game to confirm?
I think it was about 60/40 in favor of Buffalo, but kind of hard to tell. Several Liberty fans had on blue shirts, and some UB fans wore red Bills shirts. The student section was basically just two rows of bleachers. They had high school marching bands in attendance, which probably boosted the number of "Buffalo fans," a little bit.

Our fans were definitely louder though!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: September 16th, 2023, 9:38 pm I'm curious roughly what percentage of fans in the stands were liberty fans. It looked like there was a decent amount of red there.

I think it was about 60/40 in favor of Buffalo, but kind of hard to tell. Several Liberty fans had on blue shirts, and some UB fans wore red Bills shirts. The student section was basically just two rows of bleachers. They had high school marching bands in attendance, which probably boosted the number of "Buffalo fans," a little bit.

Our fans were definitely louder though!
Cider Jim liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I also found it quite amusing that their band kept playing the chorus to "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark," by Fallout Boy.

Not sure
"Light em up up up
Light em up up up
I'm on fire..."
is a good choice to play when facing a team called the Flames, but that's just me and my humble opinion.
Sly Fox liked this
Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]