Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Dalegarz1
It seems like we are far enough into training camp to venture an educated guess on who will emerge as the #1 QB on September 2nd against Bowling Green. Bring your thoughts and arguments here!
By LUOrange
I'm leaning towards Salter. He has the highest ceiling and I think it was obvious that he wasn't 100% from UConn on.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Hard to make any predictions on the QB position when all has been silent within the football program this last week & rightfully so.

I keep thinking back to what Chadwell said regarding the process of building the program to have sustained success. The starting QB might be the one who helps build the program for the long haul and not just year one under Chadwell.

As much as I would like to see JB fly off into the sunset leading us to a CUSA championship. I think Salter or Trey Lowe with his 2 years of eligibility will win the job. I think this offense really fits Lowe's skillset and he is the dark-horse in this race to me.
Cider Jim liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
A healthy Salter is going to show the best in practice to the staff. But I think we all know that his athleticism is not what holds him back. If he works as hard as the staff hopes, he's our guy. If he doesn't ...

There are no allegiances from the past to buoy any particular candidate. Flat out competition in practice is the best. But it can be tough to distinguish with so many new faces everywhere in the lineup.

I am not as bullish on Trey's ceiling as some on here might be. But he could be the dependable workhorse that we saw from JB last season once he got his legs under him after that awful start to the season.

What I like best is that we have enough bodies that we have enough depth in the QB room to be able to withstand another season of injuries. I am really curious to hear how Mooney performs. It would be great to keep a shirt on him. But in the portal world where we live now those redshirts can actually work against programs.
CCWMichael liked this
By AATL
If they're both on campus, the future is bright with Mooney and Bradford.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Anyone have any updated thoughts on starting QB going into next Saturday. Anyone other than JB or Salter seems like a long shot at this point?
By jmclaughlin
LUOrange wrote: August 25th, 2023, 9:27 am IMO, all signs point toward Salter. Strings probably being Salter, JB, Lowe, Hampton.

Just my tea leave reading.
Yes. It only makes sense. If the intention is to "just play one", then you play the one with the most upside. That is clearly Salter. He may leave us with some head scratching decisions this year but the talent is there. The coaches will trust their development plan and ability to craft him as a fit for the McCall mold.
Cider Jim, LUOrange liked this
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
I was thinking we might see something in rumor mill 2.0 about this but.....
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Coach Chadwell did call out AseaofRed in his press conference last week. Kudos to Jon & the gang for not letting it slip out and respecting Coach Chadwell's wishes. I kinda like the suspense of having to wait until the offense runs out on the field. This gives me a Christmas morning type of feel.
Cider Jim, AATL, flamehunter liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Salter's arm and timing all look better in the passing game from every practice I've seen. He has more upside in the run game as well, as long as he has fixed the fumble issues he had last year.
ballcoach15 liked this
By AATL
I think there will be turnover-related growing pains no matter who starts. This offense is going to require the QB to hold onto the ball very late before committing to the read and making a safe and accurate pitch.

Credit to Coastal, Grayson McCall did that incredibly well. I remember watching the Cure Bowl and being amazed that the ball never hit the ground on some of his late pitches.
jmclaughlin liked this
By tyndal23
AATL wrote: August 31st, 2023, 3:51 pm I think there will be turnover-related growing pains no matter who starts. This offense is going to require the QB to hold onto the ball very late before committing to the read and making a safe and accurate pitch.

Credit to Coastal, Grayson McCall did that incredibly well. I remember watching the Cure Bowl and being amazed that the ball never hit the ground on some of his late pitches.
It is a lost art and completely foreign to 99% of QB’ s in today’s game. Doing it with strong hand is difficult, doing it with weak hand is ridiculous. Finding QB’s in HS who have been doing it as a reflex is a very small %. 25 years ago - take your pick - now, how quick can you learn it, how quick do you get rb’s in sync to catch it full stride ( another big component ). Still love it, but as an old OU wishbone fan - expect some ugly...fortunately it isn’t the wishbone and the pitch option will a handful of times per game - but hold your breath every time.
By LU 57
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: August 31st, 2023, 12:30 pm Coach Chadwell did call out AseaofRed in his press conference last week. Kudos to Jon & the gang for not letting it slip out and respecting Coach Chadwell's wishes. I kinda like the suspense of having to wait until the offense runs out on the field. This gives me a Christmas morning type of feel.
There is a balance with the staff and ASOR. I get not wanting to give too much up, but the faithful need some nuggets to keep interest.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
There is certainly a balance between respecting HCJC's wishes and reporting the news. He did call ASOR out publicly in his presser and also spoke to me privately about it. I respect him greatly for doing that. Just pay attention in the morning...we will see what happens.
AATL, LU 57, rtb72 and 1 others liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Today's News & Advance has a big article about Saturday's game and reveals which QB is #1 on the depth chart. I don't know if they have insider information or if they are guessing.
I won't reveal the name here, but you can buy a newspaper to find out. :fineprint :fbplayer
Last edited by Cider Jim on September 1st, 2023, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
No offense to the N&A or the person who wrote it, but I can't imagine an entity that has not attended a single press conference, practice or scrimmage this calendar year, and refers to "Blowing Green" and "X'Vauvea" has any inside information.
Cider Jim, ballcoach15, AATL and 3 others liked this
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
Most of the local media I have either listened to or read about believes its going to be Bennett. I personally believe it will be Salter.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: September 1st, 2023, 8:55 am No offense to the N&A or the person who wrote it, but I can't imagine an entity that has not attended a single press conference, practice or scrimmage this calendar year, and refers to "Blowing Green" and "X'Vauvea" has any inside information.
Bet Cates wrote the article. Is he the new beat writer that replaced Damien? :dontgetit
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
No. They're not filling that position. They will still write a few pieces here and there about Liberty sports but there's no one on the beat anymore.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: September 1st, 2023, 8:46 am Today's News & Advance has a big article about Saturday's game and reveals which QB is #1 on the depth chart. I don't know if they have insider information or if they are guessing.
I won't reveal the name here, but you can buy a newspaper to find out. :fineprint :fbplayer
If you believe the N&A, I have some nice beach front property in West Virginia that I'll sell you for a retirement home. I'm surprised the N&A even knows LU has a game tomorrow.
By AATL
A Sea of Red wrote: September 1st, 2023, 8:55 am No offense to the N&A or the person who wrote it, but I can't imagine an entity that has not attended a single press conference, practice or scrimmage this calendar year, and refers to "Blowing Green" and "X'Vauvea" has any inside information.
Can't fault them for being excited to see how the Jamey Caldwell offense matches up against the Blowing Green front seven.
A Sea of Red liked this
By LU 57
A Sea of Red wrote: September 1st, 2023, 8:18 am There is certainly a balance between respecting HCJC's wishes and reporting the news. He did call ASOR out publicly in his presser and also spoke to me privately about it. I respect him greatly for doing that. Just pay attention in the morning...we will see what happens.
I missed the presser. Called out in a good way?
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]