Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By AATL
If the NCAA isn't going to address overt tampering (either because they don't want to, have no idea how to, or have no real enforcement teeth... or all of the above), this portal window needs to change. The "we need you here immediately" effect on the coaching carousel is bad enough, but I can't imagine simultaneously preparing my team for our rivalry and championship weeks while also fighting against under-the-table offers to poach my players via the portal.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
NCAA must crack down on tampering. Any school caught tampering should be given a 3 year post season ban, and coach given a lifetime suspension . NIL crap wasn't designed to be used for recruiting. NCAA could take the first step by eliminating transfer portal, except on case by case hardship basics. Return college sports to...............college sports.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
And then athletes would sue, NCAA would lose, and we’d be right back here.

The “problem” isn’t the toothless NCAA. Ask yourself: “WHY is the NCAA toothless?”

It’s the courts’ rulings on these issues.

Capitalism isn’t perfect. In fact, it’s quite messy. As Churchill said, it’s the worst form of government, except for all the others.
Purple Haize liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 1st, 2023, 9:57 am NIL crap wasn't designed
You could’ve stopped there. It wasn’t designed at all. It went from banned/regulated to…nothing. It’s the wild Wild West. These kinds of shady things used to exist only at JUCO and NAIA levels - unless you’re the SEC, when it was just done in secret. Now it’s in the open at all levels - with a LOT more $$$ in the mix.
AATL liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It is not regulated at some schools. When a QB is paid to transfer, that's not regulated. When a school recruits a player from another school, BEFORE they enter the portal, that's not regulated. This stuff happens and NCAA "looks the other way".
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Typically intermediaries including a player's HS coach are usually how offers are made before someone enters the portsal. It is nearly impossible to monitor or enforce at this at this stage.
Purple Haize liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 1st, 2023, 4:36 pm It is not regulated at some schools. When a QB is paid to transfer, that's not regulated. When a school recruits a player from another school, BEFORE they enter the portal, that's not regulated. This stuff happens and NCAA "looks the other way".
You are right. It’s not regulated. And that’s not the NCAA’s fault. That’s the courts at work.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It’s easy to tell who has experience at the Collegiate level and who does not.
I have o problem with the NIL situation. I like the Wild West. Coaches will learn that they need to build cultures not ‘teams’. It won’t be easy and AD’s and Presidents need to be patient. Which is rare in athletics. IMO it will eventually settle down. Player valuations will become more uniform with outliers here and there. Teams full of players that have been in the system for years will emerge as Title contenders. It will kind of be like the 1 and Done of basketball. You don’t see too many of those team winning championships
ATrain liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I have one problem with NIL/portal: coaches don’t build cultures and programs anymore. Right now, they’re just building rosters each season. But that’s the world we live in.

I’m happy for freedom for the student-athletes. I’m all for bringing a system that was cloak-and/dagger into the light. But I do have a problem with the byproducts. And I hope @Purple Haize is right and it does eventually settle down. I coached for the relationship, to change lives. Hard to do that when you’re never getting four years with a kid, when you’re lucky to get two.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 9:14 am I have one problem with NIL/portal: coaches don’t build cultures and programs anymore. Right now, they’re just building rosters each season. But that’s the world we live in.

I’m happy for freedom for the student-athletes. I’m all for bringing a system that was cloak-and/dagger into the light. But I do have a problem with the byproducts. And I hope @Purple Haize is right and it does eventually settle down. I coached for the relationship, to change lives. Hard to do that when you’re never getting four years with a kid, when you’re lucky to get two.
If you look on LU’s sideline you certainly saw a coach and team who built a culture and a program. But on the whole you are right. That’s why I said it’s going to need AD’s and Presidents to have patience. Not something that is currently in abundance :D
ATrain liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Pete Thamel just said Johnathon Bennett is in the portal. That’s not very surprising to me.
By Ill flame
aredd33 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 11:58 am Pete Thamel just said Johnathon Bennett is in the portal. That’s not very surprising to me.
That's surprising to me. How in the world does that guy have eligibility left?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 11:58 am Pete Thamel just said Johnathon Bennett is in the portal. That’s not very surprising to me.
Good. He is not a FBS QB.
ballah09 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 12:14 pm
Haha fair point.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 12:14 pm
He committed to the Flames in June of 2018. It does feel like it’s been even longer than that, doesn’t it? Great leader and was the QB in some ginormous wins (BYU and Arkansas). Definitely a contributor to where we are at now as he helped us transition from FCS to FBS successfully. Thanks for being a Flame, JB!
ATrain, Cider Jim liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I see JMU QB McCloud is in the portal for the 3rd time. He could serve as Exhibit 1, as to why the portal needs to be eliminated.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 1:08 pm His coach just hit the coaching transfer portal but God forbid players have the same ability....
You're asking ballcoach to have some intellectual consistency. He's not capable of it
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 12:17 pm
He led us to wins over BYU and Arkansas, kept us in it with Wake Forest, and helped us to an 8 - 5 season last year where we would've had more wins had HCHF kept his head in the game for UConn and VT. JB helped us get to where we are today, and I wish him much success wherever he lands (unless its somewhere he ends up playing against us).
Cider Jim, michaeleyou liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 1:08 pm His coach just hit the coaching transfer portal but God forbid players have the same ability....
Is that why he also left UCF and Arizona (or AZ State) also ? It tells me he is a very insecure and/or immature individual.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 1:39 pm
thepostman wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 1:08 pm
His coach just hit the coaching transfer portal but God forbid players have the same ability....
Is that why he also left UCF and Arizona (or AZ State) also ? It tells me he is a very insecure and/or immature individual.
You don’t even know where he went to school. :D :D
thepostman, ATrain liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 1:39 pm
A. Google better
B. My point isn't he should be able to transfer because his coach is leaving. My point is because coaches are free to take new jobs anywhere at anytime, players should too. Simple concept.
ATrain liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 1:18 pm
flameshaw wrote: December 2nd, 2023, 12:17 pm
He led us to wins over BYU and Arkansas, kept us in it with Wake Forest, and helped us to an 8 - 5 season last year where we would've had more wins had HCHF kept his head in the game for UConn and VT. JB helped us get to where we are today, and I wish him much success wherever he lands (unless its somewhere he ends up playing against us).
Well, we will see where he ends up and how much he plays at his new school. I wish him nothing but the best and wouldn't mind playing against him. But highly doubtful that will happen.
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
Im fine with it as is. The wild west is great, IMO. It provides something for everyone. Kids who arent going to the next levek but can make 5 or 6 figures playing on Saturdays should be able to. Coaches who want players whose heads they can turn with a quick buck should be abke to reap the consequences of that. I think there's more parity than ever in CFB this year, and I think we'll especially see that in MBB. I think perhaps we already are (note all the early season upsets). People are (imo) mostly upset with it because it's new. They may say otherwise, but I think its actually bc theyre unfamiliar with it. We havent seen it long enough to see actual long term results yet, but I think the old adages will be true that 'the market provides', and that competition is good for everyone (especially, in this case, the players). Quality teams build quality cultures (*side eyes Jimbo Fisher*) and those who dont will get poor results. I think in the long run the NIL will be better for everyone.
Purple Haize, JK37 liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]