Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By lueer
Registration Days Posts
Okay, this is starting to get ridiculous now. I can understand players leaving that aren't going to play, but we are losing multiple players that were going to be starters.

I trust that our new coach is eventually going to get his players and do well, but I'm starting to think its going to be a bumpy road to get there.
Ill flame liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Don't forget that coaches can reach out to our players who aren't in the transfer portal presently and recruit them with more NIL money dollars. Any school that is doing that deserves sanctions. If a kid is not in the transfer portal then they should be labeled untouchable. This crap is getting ridiculous.

The other unknown with Stephen Sings transferring out is his feelings toward the new coaching staff. Maybe he wanted to give it till the end of spring to make a decision. If a player doesn't want to be here then see ya later kid and good luck.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
I've been out of the loop, but something must be up because my wife, who is a casual fan at best, asked me about all the Flames football players entering the transfer portal!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m curious how many of these transfer portals are ‘culture’ things over talent? I suspect HCJC runs a bit tighter ship in regards to LU than the previous coach
AATL, LUOrange, FlamesHighontheTide and 7 others liked this
By LUOrange
This is most likely a combination of losing playing time, cultural fits, and players being recruited by other schools. Sings leaving is the only one that I'm disappointed with. I'm not worried cause the portals full with more than Liberty refugees and Chadwell's won everywhere he's been.

I do think that the NCAA really needs to reform and regulate the whole transfer portal-signing day-NIL system to make sure that they work fairly to players and schools alike. Of course they won't cause as long as the P5's are happy, they're happy.
AATL, michaeleyou liked this
By AATL
Purple Haize wrote: April 21st, 2023, 2:12 pm I suspect HCJC runs a bit tighter ship in regards to LU than the previous coach
Fortunately, HCJC has a fair amount of experience walking into situations where that is true.

Depth might be thin this year. However even if a couple more jump in, nothing here seems abnormal for a coaching change in today's portal landscape.
LUOrange liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Colorado has had 25 players transfer out (as of today) since Neon Deion took over. We've had 20 transfer out according to ASOR's article. Sadly, this is the new era of college football.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I am somewhat intrigued/surprised that none of the QB's have thrown their hat into the portal yet. They must all believe they still have a shot or they just really love being here, starter or not.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
lueer wrote: April 21st, 2023, 1:08 pm Okay, this is starting to get ridiculous now. I can understand players leaving that aren't going to play, but we are losing multiple players that were going to be starters.

I trust that our new coach is eventually going to get his players and do well, but I'm starting to think its going to be a bumpy road to get there.
This is exactly how I feel about it. I used to enjoy following recruiting but with so much movement I'll just wait until fall and see who's on the depth chart week 1. The chaos is discouraging but at the rate we are going HCJC will have a roster full of "his guys" two years into his tenure.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:Colorado has had 25 players transfer out (as of today) since Neon Deion took over. We've had 20 transfer out according to ASOR's article. Sadly, this is the new era of college football.
20 is concerning. Does LU have a working NIL program?? 20 wow.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
AATL wrote: April 21st, 2023, 2:46 pm
Purple Haize wrote: April 21st, 2023, 2:12 pm I suspect HCJC runs a bit tighter ship in regards to LU than the previous coach
Fortunately, HCJC has a fair amount of experience walking into situations where that is true.

Depth might be thin this year. However even if a couple more jump in, nothing here seems abnormal for a coaching change in today's portal landscape.
Very good points. There’s usually larger than average turn over when new coaches come in.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
While a few of these jumping into the portal sting a bit, we are going to prosper and not suffer when all is said and done in the portal. As the spring games wrap up, there is a wealth of talent hopping into the portal right now. We have become a very attractive destination over the past few years and that hasn't changed a bit.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
But the competition is bigger and active too. Have to wonder how many outbound LU kids will actually get picked up. Half?? At best.
By jmclaughlin
I buy into the Christian culture embedment causing the exodus. That makes sense and relieves the the wonder if it is something schematic or program downturn. However...there weren't many culture fits better than Kristian Zachary.

I still contend that when the dust settles, we will be a better program moving forward than where we have been. The portal is heavily effecting almost every team, conference and division in the country. These are trail blazing times and many will learn the lesson that 90% of the transfers end up in a worse spot by losing any standing they had.
LUOrange liked this
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
Looks like we might need to bring in 7-8 players just to solidify depth for the upcoming season not to mention the positions we were already thin at. The portal definitely has to be causing headaches for the Head Coaches. Building a roster is now 24x7x365 it seems.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
One rumor I've seen floating around is that Grayson McCall may still transfer. If this is true, then I would look for a hard push by Chadwell to get him here. Another QB I'd bet Chadwell will reach out to is Devin Farrell out of Virginia Tech. Coastal recruited him really hard before he finally committed & signed with the Hokies.
LUOrange liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: April 24th, 2023, 2:53 pm One rumor I've seen floating around is that Grayson McCall may still transfer. If this is true, then I would look for a hard push by Chadwell to get him here. Another QB I'd bet Chadwell will reach out to is Devin Farrell out of Virginia Tech. Coastal recruited him really hard before he finally committed & signed with the Hokies.
Regarding Grayson: He would be foolish to leave CCU, unless it was for LU. He would run the same offense he has for years under the same coach at LU. With him being a senior and possibly a NFL draft pick, I can't see any other reasonable alternative.
By Ill flame
As of this morning the following are the programs with the most players transferring out:

1) Colorado- 46
2) Ole Miss/ Arizona St- 29
3) Arkansas- 27
4) Cal/ Oregon/ Texas A&M- 26

P5 average is 16 so far.
By LUOrange
But I thought everyone wanted to play for Coach Neon Deon Prime Time?
By Ill flame
LUOrange wrote: April 25th, 2023, 10:10 pm But I thought everyone wanted to play for Coach Neon Deon Prime Time?
He came in and told everyone they are not wanted and should hit the portal if they want playing time because he's bringing his own players. I'm suprised the numbers aren't higher.
LUOrange, thepostman liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Obviously I don’t know all the details but from what’s been coming out of Colorado, how he treated the guys, and what he told them it’s gunna be very difficult to pull for them. Again from the outside looking in it seems classless and arrogant…but they were 1-11 last year so maybe this is exactly what’s needed.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Daijahn Anthony (potential starter) gone. Sheesh - this team is going to look different this year. What makes a kid like that wait almost two weeks before jumping in the portal? I hope we have some good targets to replace some of these guys that are leaving.
By tyndal23
Since we will be very thin across the board, would love to see our strength coaches implement ATG ( knees over toes ) Program this summer to cut way back on injuries. UNC is starting to do it.

2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]