Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The problem with these “offers” is they aren’t binding in any way. It’s disgusting.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
Exactly. I've heard of one of our players who was offered six figures before entering the portal, entered the portal, and ended up getting four figures and isn't even on scholarship.
sstaedtler, matshark liked this
By LUOrange
The poaching will be the norm until the NCAA enacts better regulation on NIL's and the portal. The likelihood of that happening probably isn't real high since the upper P5's benefit the most from the NIL and the portal mayhem. The best we can hope for at this point is that things will settle down some once word spreads among the athletes about the realities of the NIL and portal as Jon has posted.

I'd also like to give Sings some benefit of the doubt since on the outside looking in, he appeared to give Chadwell a chance since he stayed through spring practice. Obviously, the counter argument is that Freeze waited until after spring practice as well to see what he had as well.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 9:44 am Exactly. I've heard of one of our players who was offered six figures before entering the portal, entered the portal, and ended up getting four figures and isn't even on scholarship.
Who makes these offers? Coaches? Boosters?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I need to readdress my original post on Sings transferring to Auburn. I never intended to say that Freeze recruited him before Sings entered the portal. That was my bad for not clearly communicating. My distaste for the whole thing is the optics of Freeze snatching one of our guys after leaving for Auburn. Of course, as I am typing this, I realize Chadwell got a few of his Coastal players to come here.

I think it is safe to say my thoughts come from a deep dark dislike for Auburn football; go figure :lol: . But I really & I mean really dislike this free-for-all of the transfer portal. In regards to Jon's post above, I think every school that recruits & poaches players prior to their entrance into the portal deserves the loss of scholarships, and fines, & if they keep doing it then more severe penalties are in store. It is unethical, period.
LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If a school "recruits" a player from another school, they should be given a 3 year post season ban. (bowls & playoffs)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 12:30 pm
A Sea of Red wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 9:44 am Exactly. I've heard of one of our players who was offered six figures before entering the portal, entered the portal, and ended up getting four figures and isn't even on scholarship.
I think its normally a rogue street agent, who is connected to Head coach or an assistant coach, that no one outside the inner circle knows about.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 1:49 pm
I think its normally a rogue street agent, who is connected to Head coach or an assistant coach, that no one outside the inner circle knows about.
At least that's the way it works at Bama (and maybe VT). :oldhag
flamehunter liked this
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
flamehunter wrote: May 22nd, 2023, 12:30 pm
Staff members, whether they are assistant coaches or in the recruiting department.
flamehunter liked this
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:So 3 of the 4 have formally announced their commitment:

1. Amari WIlliams DL (Juco/Boise State)
2. Victor Venn RB (Colorado)
3. EJ Smoot WR (UT-Martin)

The mystery 4th one is not the 4 star transfer WR from Ole Miss as he chose UAB over us.

I do hope it is another LB. Maybe that transfer LB from Wisconsin.
By AATL
And just like that, it's portal season again: https://247sports.com/college/transfer-portal/

The portal officially opens on Monday, but I'm sure the coaxing and offering began long ago. Quite a few notable athletes have already announced their intentions to hit the portal, including some South Carolinians with prior connections to Chadwell and the Liberty staff. I think Chadwell will skew more towards high school recruiting than Freeze, but I'm sure we'll see a few big targets and some quality depth come in via this window. 12-0 might not snag a NY6 bowl, but hopefully it carries some energy and momentum into the portal.

On3 does a decent job keeping up with declarations and commitments in their tracker when the portal officially opens: https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/wire/football/2023/
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
I'm hoping the coaching staff isn't doing much recruiting this week but I'm excited to see what kind of talent we are going to bring in after the season we are having. I fully expect to lose a few players from the 2 deep to the portal but I also expect the talent we bring in to far outweigh the talent we lose. If I remember correctly we had multiple unfilled scholarships this year so in theory we should be able to bring in more players than we lose to graduation/transfer this off-season.
sstaedtler liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Redbonebandit wrote: November 29th, 2023, 11:07 pm Grayson Mcall in the portal
Isn't his eligibility up? I don't want him now - just need to keep Salter happy...
LUOrange, phoenix liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: November 30th, 2023, 6:46 am
Isn't his eligibility up? I don't want him now - just need to keep Salter happy...
McCall was injured this season so I'm guessing he's using a medical red-shirt?
As for Salter - I would imagine with the season he's had there will be some big-time programs trying to lure him away. We most definitely need to keep him happy.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: November 29th, 2023, 11:09 pm I'm hoping the coaching staff isn't doing much recruiting this week but I'm excited to see what kind of talent we are going to bring in after the season we are having. I fully expect to lose a few players from the 2 deep to the portal but I also expect the talent we bring in to far outweigh the talent we lose. If I remember correctly we had multiple unfilled scholarships this year so in theory we should be able to bring in more players than we lose to graduation/transfer this off-season.
If I'm a good player at a mid-level P5 and want a chance to play in the playoffs I'm look for a transfer to a top G5. Liberty, Memphis, etc.
LUOrange liked this
By rtb72
If the rumors about Cignetti to IU are correct, might see some transfers coming out of JMU as well as some decommits from recruits.
By LUOrange
flamehunter wrote: November 30th, 2023, 7:54 am
prototype wrote: November 30th, 2023, 6:46 am
McCall was injured this season so I'm guessing he's using a medical red-shirt?
As for Salter - I would imagine with the season he's had there will be some big-time programs trying to lure him away. We most definitely need to keep him happy.
McCall is a grad transfer and I'm assuming he still have his COVID year.

Salter should/would have to sit a year if he did transfer. Although, he is a senior academically, so he may b e able to transfer in the summer. IMO, he's better off playing at least another year and then declaring. If we finish 14-0, even without a NY6 Bowl, we'd be a frontrunner for the G5 CFP bid.
flamehunter liked this
By Ill flame
TH Spangler wrote: November 30th, 2023, 9:07 am
Ill flame wrote: November 29th, 2023, 11:09 pm I'm hoping the coaching staff isn't doing much recruiting this week but I'm excited to see what kind of talent we are going to bring in after the season we are having. I fully expect to lose a few players from the 2 deep to the portal but I also expect the talent we bring in to far outweigh the talent we lose. If I remember correctly we had multiple unfilled scholarships this year so in theory we should be able to bring in more players than we lose to graduation/transfer this off-season.
If I'm a good player at a mid-level P5 and want a chance to play in the playoffs I'm look for a transfer to a top G5. Liberty, Memphis, etc.
Good players at any P5 aren't dropping down to G5. They'll either stay where they are or move up to a better P5 and take that NIL money. At the end of the day players outside of the top 10 or 15 programs know they likely won't make the playoffs in its current form. A mid level P5 is going to be the better path to the NFL which is a bigger priority for most of them. P5 players that aren't satisfied with their playing time are the players we have been and should be targeting.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: November 30th, 2023, 10:49 am
TH Spangler wrote: November 30th, 2023, 9:07 am
Good players at any P5 aren't dropping down to G5. They'll either stay where they are or move up to a better P5 and take that NIL money. At the end of the day players outside of the top 10 or 15 programs know they likely won't make the playoffs in its current form. A mid level P5 is going to be the better path to the NFL which is a bigger priority for most of them. P5 players that aren't satisfied with their playing time are the players we have been and should be targeting.
Will agree to disagree :wink:

A Liberty or Memphis in the playoffs might just be a better path to the NFL than hanging around on a Georgia Tech or Vanderbilt. And you have better chance of playing in the playoffs. Plus, who's to say the top G5s don't have some NIL money.
By Ill flame
Vandy and Georgia tech are definitely not mid tier P5s. Even using my illini as an example who has only had one winning season in the last decade. They have 21 active players in the NFL right now compared to our two with those 21 players generally having better careers on average. Illinois also has better facilities (not to say ours are bad), significantly more NIL money, regularly have games on broadcast TV and gets to prove themselves against blue bloods every year with or without a CFP appearance. The type of player that goes to Illinois is obviously not prioritizing CFP appearances. Now maybe we can pick up a young guy from there that isn't playing much but there's no shot at poaching a guy from a school like that who is getting regular snaps.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I could be wrong but Salter would need a waiver if he decides to transfer since this would be his 3rd school. Unless he graduates then he would have 2 years of eligibility.

He’s more than likely going to get poached that’s if he hasn’t already so I’m hoping we can hang on to him.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: November 30th, 2023, 2:56 pm I could be wrong but Salter would need a waiver if he decides to transfer since this would be his 3rd school. Unless he graduates then he would have 2 years of eligibility.

He’s more than likely going to get poached that’s if he hasn’t already so I’m hoping we can hang on to him.
Thought about that. Maybe that's where Grayson McCall shows up.
By LUOrange
First of all, I don't think Salter's going anywhere til he declares for the draft in 2025. But if he were to leave after this season, I'd rather let Hampton (if he doesn't transfer out), Mooney & Bradford duke it out.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: November 30th, 2023, 10:02 pm First of all, I don't think Salter's going anywhere til he declares for the draft in 2025. But if he were to leave after this season, I'd rather let Hampton (if he doesn't transfer out), Mooney & Bradford duke it out.
I wouldn’t be too sure. He’s gonna have offers.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]