Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

I watched that interview last night. She's very unimpressive. I'll give her a little benefit of the doubt that maybe she's just a bad interviewer. But from watching that, I can understand why many fans of the departing CUSA schools didn't like her. The question I have is how long do the CUSA 4.0 Presidents keep her?

And I'm sorry, but the Tuesday and Wednesday night games she agreed to, like the MAC, are disastrous. I would think that playing games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights would hurt the conferences ability to lure prospective candidates.
CCWMichael liked this
LUOrange wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:36 am And I'm sorry, but the Tuesday and Wednesday night games she agreed to, like the MAC, are disastrous. I would think that playing games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights would hurt the conferences ability to lure prospective candidates.
I personally don't like the weekday games, as they totally screw-up my ritual of attending fall games at LU.

That said, from an exposure standpoint, I think LU will definitely see benefits. We are the only people who peruse ESPN+/3 searching out LU games on Saturdays. The most I get out of friends/neighbors (who know my kids go there) on an average Saturday is "how did Liberty do?". Whenever LU makes a TV appearance, I always get comments - "Hey, I saw your kids' school was on TV", "Hey I watched a little bit of the Liberty game", etc.
BlueBlood wrote: January 19th, 2023, 11:27 am
LUOrange wrote: January 19th, 2023, 10:36 am And I'm sorry, but the Tuesday and Wednesday night games she agreed to, like the MAC, are disastrous. I would think that playing games on Tuesday and Wednesday nights would hurt the conferences ability to lure prospective candidates.
I personally don't like the weekday games, as they totally screw-up my ritual of attending fall games at LU.

That said, from an exposure standpoint, I think LU will definitely see benefits. We are the only people who peruse ESPN+/3 searching out LU games on Saturdays. The most I get out of friends/neighbors (who know my kids go there) on an average Saturday is "how did Liberty do?". Whenever LU makes a TV appearance, I always get comments - "Hey, I saw your kids' school was on TV", "Hey I watched a little bit of the Liberty game", etc.
While it stinks for local and regional season ticket holders, Exposure is key for playing in the worst G5 Conference. Even the lowliest college media personality tunes in to a CFB game if it is the only thing on and therefore discusses ( however briefly) on next days radio show, podcast, socials. It goes beyond the initial TV viewership. In short, every local media market will comment on Liberty ( good or bad weekly). Unfortunately, Perception also comes with Program & Conference that plays on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. So make it a good show !!! We have at least 5 years of it, so for home weeknight games
1. - make entire East Side Student, Faculty and Family, TRBC members FREE and local Lynchburg $5 tickets or whatever.
2. Concession Promos.
3. Season Ticket holders on West side - give them weekend game season package and an option for weeknight games for additional $ - otherwise those seats go to general seating.
4. South Entrance - build up to match height of rest of stadium and incorporate best football opening ceremony possible ( must see tv - laid out on previous post ).
5. Students scanning id’s After game on exit get morning class exemption, 2 chapel services excused or whatever...keep them in the stands.

Gimmick schedule, so gimmick tickets sales - treating midweek games as normal for season ticket sales will be a big mistake.
IronFlame liked this
Liberty22 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 11:11 pm Now you’re just trolling…
Not at all, dead serious. Which point do you disagree with? You want season ticket seats to sit empty for the fans on here who already state they can’t make it weeknights but still buy them? TV eyeballs will be much bigger on ESPN and “perception “ can be a half empty stadium like a MAC game or something special. But it won’t “just happen”. While our student section is great - still less than half attend. We should be Utah State level when it comes to students on a weeknight game.
Purple Haize wrote: January 20th, 2023, 12:23 pm
It’s been that way for awhile now.
So PH -do you think season ticket holder attendance for supporters over an hour away are going to fill their seats on Tuesday night? You don’t think it matters if west side is full ( tv side ) for perception ? LU will have way more tv eyeballs on weeknights - FACT and the only reason CUSA was able to get on cable TV. So I guess I am a troll for stating some pretty obvious things about how to “ not appear” to be a typical MAC fan base/Program when we have a National Audience. Utah State - YouTube their student section in football and basketball. Get 3k more students in bottom half of upper deck and cheap seats for locals and you have a great tv product and atmosphere. Selling and seating those 2 games like normal is a mistake. A season ticket holder should have the option for 5 Saturday games, and a separate option to pay a little more for reserved seats for all 7.
tyndal23 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 12:17 am
Not at all, dead serious. Which point do you disagree with? You want season ticket seats to sit empty for the fans on here who already state they can’t make it weeknights but still buy them? TV eyeballs will be much bigger on ESPN and “perception “ can be a half empty stadium like a MAC game or something special. But it won’t “just happen”. While our student section is great - still less than half attend. We should be Utah State level when it comes to students on a weeknight game.
At least you have given some thought to this. Of course we can hope that Ian would figure out some things that can help the attendance plus maintain a good amount of season ticket holders. It's so easy to call someone a troll when there's no other ideas coming from the other end. This is a forum to just cast ideas and waste time until the next season. If a person disagree, then that's fine. Nonetheless, calling someone a troll with no reasonable reason of why you might disagree is so pointless. We can definitely do better than this.

@tyndal23 This will be a task, but I believe Ian and the crew will need at least a season to see what changes needs to be done for the upcoming years in CUSA. What you have requested may make them lose more money than they'd like. I'll need a whole report on what you've have suggested before making any updated moves :lol:
Just John liked this
tyndal23 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:57 pm
BlueBlood wrote: January 19th, 2023, 11:27 am

While it stinks for local and regional season ticket holders, Exposure is key for playing in the worst G5 Conference. Even the lowliest college media personality tunes in to a CFB game if it is the only thing on and therefore discusses ( however briefly) on next days radio show, podcast, socials. It goes beyond the initial TV viewership. In short, every local media market will comment on Liberty ( good or bad weekly). Unfortunately, Perception also comes with Program & Conference that plays on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. So make it a good show !!! We have at least 5 years of it, so for home weeknight games
1. - make entire East Side Student, Faculty and Family, TRBC members FREE and local Lynchburg $5 tickets or whatever.
2. Concession Promos.
3. Season Ticket holders on West side - give them weekend game season package and an option for weeknight games for additional $ - otherwise those seats go to general seating.
4. South Entrance - build up to match height of rest of stadium and incorporate best football opening ceremony possible ( must see tv - laid out on previous post ).
5. Students scanning id’s After game on exit get morning class exemption, 2 chapel services excused or whatever...keep them in the stands.

Gimmick schedule, so gimmick tickets sales - treating midweek games as normal for season ticket sales will be a big mistake.
I could get onboard with everything you have said here. We’re exactly two hours away from campus, but my family and I will be at the weeknight games.
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 2:14 pm

At least you have given some thought to this. Of course we can hope that Ian would figure out some things that can help the attendance plus maintain a good amount of season ticket holders. It's so easy to call someone a troll when there's no other ideas coming from the other end. This is a forum to just cast ideas and waste time until the next season. If a person disagree, then that's fine. Nonetheless, calling someone a troll with no reasonable reason of why you might disagree is so pointless. We can definitely do better than this.

@tyndal23 This will be a task, but I believe Ian and the crew will need at least a season to see what changes needs to be done for the upcoming years in CUSA. What you have requested may make them lose more money than they'd like. I'll need a whole report on what you've have suggested before making any updated moves :lol:
You’re right Cruzan, my apologies. I tried to get a laugh at Tyndals expense which was wrong of me. Having worked in Ticket Sales myself, anytime I see people suggest we give away free tickets I immediately know they don’t understand why you can’t do that. It may solve (temporarily) an attendance issue for a game or two, but now you’ve devalued your product. The second you devalue your product, good luck ever getting that generation of buyer to ever see the value of buying a ticket again. You’ve effectively killed attendance for a decade or more to solve a perceived attendance issue for a short period of time.

I totally agree on terms of the optics of what that west side will look like on midweeks games but IM will need to figure out how to fix that without devaluing the ticket. My hope is there’s a way to get cameras to face the student section east side instead as that would be the easiest way to solve the optics. But I know those camera wells are on the east side towers currently.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
Liberty22 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 4:46 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 2:14 pm

You’re right Cruzan, my apologies. I tried to get a laugh at Tyndals expense which was wrong of me. Having worked in Ticket Sales myself, anytime I see people suggest we give away free tickets I immediately know they don’t understand why you can’t do that. It may solve (temporarily) an attendance issue for a game or two, but now you’ve devalued your product. The second you devalue your product, good luck ever getting that generation of buyer to ever see the value of buying a ticket again. You’ve effectively killed attendance for a decade or more to solve a perceived attendance issue for a short period of time.

I totally agree on terms of the optics of what that west side will look like on midweeks games but IM will need to figure out how to fix that without devaluing the ticket. My hope is there’s a way to get cameras to face the student section east side instead as that would be the easiest way to solve the optics. But I know those camera wells are on the east side towers currently.
I meant tv cams point to East ( not west ) - our broadcasts show student section most of the time anyway. ( I thought our main camera is on west side pointing to student section and rolls on a rail right below broadcaster booths ) That is the side I am recommending filling up with extra students ( upper deck ). And not making that side part of normal season ticket holder package for those 2 games ( unless they want to pay extra ). LU will sell more season tickets ( Saturday games ) and have flexibility for additional students and faculty/ locals for those 2 games. No berm seating for those 2 games - pack people in as much as possible on East side. The reduced visitor ticket allotment for CUSA schools - they sit in same corner but behind 5 rows of students.
Engaging more students isn’t all on AD or ticket office - has to be student leadership / dorm competitions / university and athletic dept working together for incentives,etc. Joker #’s aren’t 20% of what they were 5 years ago. I imagine a lot of students work weekends who will have availability weeknights. Of course if the product on the field is good, that helps the most. On the subject of students - LIberty Arena - students are an afterthought - the entire section behind team should be students and not stuffy season ticket holders. A completely different atmosphere if you take out the rollout bleachers with ( seats) and replace with roll out bleachers and pack with students.
Liberty22 liked this
tyndal23 wrote: January 19th, 2023, 4:57 pm 1. - make entire East Side Student, Faculty and Family, TRBC members FREE and local Lynchburg $5 tickets or whatever.
2. Concession Promos.
You're known for having the occasional plan some would call...ambitious. This isn't one of them. Everything on your list except #4 are pretty reasonable to implement without much effort. Implementing #5 on its own would be enough to make it a great environment for tv. I think we would easily fill up the lower half of the east side with overflow into the lawn sections or upper deck. We havent exactly struggled to get students to attend without incentives on the weekend. Theres no excuse for a few thousand more to attend on a weekday with proper motivation. A great aspect of the new renovation is the colored seats on the west side that make it much less noticeable when they are empty. If we can just fill up the student section and about 75% of the rest of the stadium (I don't really care about the lawns having people) that would be more than enough.
Liberty22 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 7:37 pm As long as the cameras are showing student side exclusively then we should show out decently for our midweek games. It’s the west side that concerns me the most and you’ll see that behind our tv crew pregame and halftime etc.
And that is the side that is generally shown on TV. I’m not worried about that at all. We have a very engaged student population who will be more then energized to show up for week day games.
The ‘season ticket’ side will be the mystery. But for TV purposes not that relevant.
ballcoach15, Liberty22, Baybird and 1 others liked this
Tnobes wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:03 am I think the hate for a few midweek games is unfounded, it's just laziness that they don't want to go to a game midweek, for locals and students it should make no difference, the amount of "out of towners" going to a game has to be miniscule
We're the "out of town," season ticket holders who wouldn't have been able to make it to a midweek game if we weren't moving closer.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]