Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

ATrain wrote: January 21st, 2023, 3:47 pm
Tnobes wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:03 am I think the hate for a few midweek games is unfounded, it's just laziness that they don't want to go to a game midweek, for locals and students it should make no difference, the amount of "out of towners" going to a game has to be miniscule
We're the "out of town," season ticket holders who wouldn't have been able to make it to a midweek game if we weren't moving closer.
Y’all must have a ton of UHaul frequent movers points
Tnobes wrote: January 21st, 2023, 12:03 am I think the hate for a few midweek games is unfounded, it's just laziness that they don't want to go to a game midweek, for locals and students it should make no difference, the amount of "out of towners" going to a game has to be miniscule
We're the "out of town," season ticket holders who wouldn't have been able to make it to a midweek game if we weren't moving closer.
I feel you on the "out of town" piece, but we'll make both mid-week games with our 6, simply because it actually worked out better for our fall schedule. Our October weekends are tough with certain activities for the kids during that time every year. One of my daughters misses October games if they don't align...so needless to say, she was pretty happy about it. AND....I get a free weekend. I think for where we are...it an easy sacrifice for our fanbase. I really think the students may turn out even better mid-week because it doesn't interfere with weekend schedules.
ATrain liked this
rtb72 wrote: January 21st, 2023, 7:45 pm
I feel you on the "out of town" piece, but we'll make both mid-week games with our 6, simply because it actually worked out better for our fall schedule. Our October weekends are tough with certain activities for the kids during that time every year. One of my daughters misses October games if they don't align...so needless to say, she was pretty happy about it. AND....I get a free weekend. I think for where we are...it an easy sacrifice for our fanbase. I really think the students may turn out even better mid-week because it doesn't interfere with weekend schedules.
I 100% think students will turn out in larger numbers and in a BIG Way - hence my rant. Max it out and have a goal for 3k additional students in prime camera view lower and upper decks. Front 5 rows of upper deck based on painted dressed dorm competion - first row lower deck all Jokers ( or whatever student body government comes up with ). IF you are a season ticket holder on East Side who wants to pay a bit more to add the 2 weeknight games and keep your seats - no problem. If you opt to pay for Saturday game season tickets only, and decide to attend a midweek game last minute - no problem - you can get a cheap ticket on Baptist side. The point is to make it as attractive for TV as possible.
tyndal23 wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:26 am The point is to make it as attractive for TV as possible.
To that point, Ian spoke about this on the Flames Central Podcast yesterday.

"We'll play on a Thursday and then a Tuesday… those will probably be two of the most watched Liberty football games in the history of the program. Those midweek games get incredible ratings."
BlueBlood, rtb72, Liberty22 liked this
When I first read this, I kind of took offense. We are out-of-towners that have made 2 home games a year for the last several years (minus covid year). I know we aren't unicorns, as we often sit with a group of friends that are doing the same exact thing (visiting their kids over a football weekend). And I'm always meeting other folks doing the same thing. That said, I get it that we are still probably a small group in the scheme of things. So, no offense taken.

I knew the weekday games were coming, but it did still shock me a bit when I realized that there were no home weekend games after Sept 9 (I barely miss my kids by then and I know they don't miss me) until November 4 (are there still leaves on the trees?). Thats a 2-month gap that I usually fit two visits in.

I've had time to relax, and I think I can make the Thursday night game work (fly in Thurs, go to the game and then have a nice Oct weekend with the kids). Would I still prefer a nice Saturday game - absolutely; but we'll find a way to make it work.

Ian and the school have a lot of time to figure out how they are going to get the students/employees/locals to the weekday games. They know this is a big marketing opportunity. I think they will figure it out.
Just noticed that they have CFAW scheduled for Sep. 21 – 23, 2023 - a non-football weekend. That seems like a big missed opportunity. I wonder if it's too late to move that to the Thursday night game week in early Oct (and include the game as the kickoff to the weekend)?
BlueBlood wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:33 am Just noticed that they have CFAW scheduled for Sep. 21 – 23, 2023 - a non-football weekend. That seems like a big missed opportunity. I wonder if it's too late to move that to the Thursday night game week in early Oct (and include the game as the kickoff to the weekend)?
That might be a conflict with the gap period between the two CFAW's of that semester.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much.[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]