Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Purple Haize wrote:
jbock13 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 2:45 pm I really don't understand our scheduling philosophy. On my NCAA Football 13 video game, I just made Alabama play us in Lynchburg. We even beat them 66-3! (and yes, I'm upset that we even gave up those 3 points). I don't see why our AD can't do the same thing.

CFP champs or bust! #dreambig
Were you playing in “P5 Equivalent Mode”?
You know it!!! :D
EA is coming out with a new game next year and it was recently reported that players can opt in to the game for the first time. It'll be nice to have a college football game with LU in it. I still have my old Xbox 360 so I can play ncaa football 13 on occasion but college football has changed so much since then that it feels dated.
Ill flame wrote: May 19th, 2023, 1:39 pm No G5 has ever been passed over for a NY6 berth by another G5 with more losses in the CFP era. The committe loves to talk about SOS but the rankings havent matched the rhetoric yet which is why the big ten is looking to make their schedules weaker to match the SEC. Meanwhile boise state has been winning 10+ games a year with the type of schedule you are advocating for and haven't had a NY6 bowl to show for it since 2014.

What is the goal with our schedules? Are we scheduling exclusively for a NY6/CFP berth or are we trying to maximize fan interest during the regular season because they aren't the same. Our current schedule align close with the former while you seem to be advocating for the latter which isn't wrong, it just has its own downsides.
Pretty sure they are the same but even if there is a distinction...we have literally the worst Out of Conference schedule of any G5 while playing in the lowest G5 Conference for the next 4 seasons. Praying that AAC and MW champs have 2 losses and no other G5 champs are undefeated isn’t much of a strategy for either goal. I expect Ian will make a tweak or 2 now that the dust has settled.
sstaedtler, LUOrange liked this
tyndal23 wrote: May 21st, 2023, 2:49 pm
Pretty sure they are the same but even if there is a distinction...we have literally the worst Out of Conference schedule of any G5 while playing in the lowest G5 Conference for the next 4 seasons. Praying that AAC and MW champs have 2 losses and no other G5 champs are undefeated isn’t much of a strategy for either goal. I expect Ian will make a tweak or 2 now that the dust has settled.
Its much easier to beat 12 cupcakes and pray no one else finishes undefeated then 8 cupcakes and 4 good teams and still pray no one else finishes undefeated because we are still playing a weak schedule in CUSA. For the record, I would like to see a tougher schedule since there is more to cfb than the playoffs but we are going to be praying that other teams lose regardless. I'm just pointing out that one path is easier and more likely than the other since the committee has said SOS matters for 10 years now but hasn't backed it up.
I think some are underestimating how hard it is to win a CUSA conference championship in football.

How often did we win the Big South outright? (Not co-champs). Twice I think.

When we played Arkansas this past year...it was absolutely great to get the win. But from Arkansas perspective...we caught them looking forward to their next conference game against LSU that mattered to them.

As far as conference USA...WKU is the preseason favorite...we are picked second...every CUSA game, (except for WKU) we will be the ones with the target on our backs. We will get everyone's best shot.

Grinding out conference wins week after week will be much tougher than getting up for a few big games and overachieving in some.
PAmedic, Baybird, TH Spangler and 1 others liked this
jimflamesfan wrote: May 24th, 2023, 8:45 pm I think some are underestimating how hard it is to win a CUSA conference championship in football.

How often did we win the Big South outright? (Not co-champs). Twice I think.

When we played Arkansas this past year...it was absolutely great to get the win. But from Arkansas perspective...we caught them looking forward to their next conference game against LSU that mattered to them.

As far as conference USA...WKU is the preseason favorite...we are picked second...every CUSA game, (except for WKU) we will be the ones with the target on our backs. We will get everyone's best shot.

Grinding out conference wins week after week will be much tougher than getting up for a few big games and overachieving in some.
100% agree. Now bring back Indie and UNC,WF,Duke,UVA coming to LU and the recruits that come with it...
Regardless of thoughts on being Indy, that ship has sailed. All we can hope for is that the non-conference schedules get tweaked some in order to make them tougher and more appealing to fans, recruits, and the playoff committee. Then hopefully in the not too distant future the AAC, ACC or B12 will call us or even CUSA improves significantly (with new members as well).
Ill flame, sstaedtler liked this

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]