Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

I get that reference, jk37. Tim Matheson remains a vastly underrated actor IMHO.

I have heard nothing from the LU Athletic Department directly. Anyone who suggests they have has to be under a great deal of suspicion. Ian is RIDICULOUSLY close to the vest on everything.

What I am hearing is from friends/contacts who are insiders from other schools potentially impacted by the Pac-12 situation.

Back to the original premise of the thread, I can also tell you that ECU will likely be our lobbyist within the AAC ranks if we ever become a legitimate candidate for that league. We are not one right now. But depending on how things shake out in the coming weeks we could potentially become one by default for not only the AAC but another league as well.
JK37, LU 57, cruzan_flame13 and 2 others liked this
East Carolina saved the 2024 schedule, but 2025 and 2026 need major improvements. Here is how they read right now:

at Army
at ODU
UMass
ETSU

Ball State
at UMass
Army

2025, to have UMass and ETSU as your home games is like coal in their stocking for your fans. You cannot have those as your two out of conference home games. Get rid of ETSU and do a home and home with a good G5, with the second part being on the road in 2030 or beyond. Or just find a G5 home game. It does not cost more than $400,000 to cancel ETSU, and you might be able to make them happy by giving them a home game in both 2029 and either 2031/2033, where we already have App State and JMU for the other home game.

2026, you must replace the lost Power Five game and get a Power Five road game. Even with that, this schedule isn't great, but anything less and this is an awful schedule.
LUOrange liked this
JK37 wrote:As long as one FCS win counts towards bowl eligibility, keep it on the schedule.
If you want to kill any chance at a New Year's 6 Bowl game, that is a good plan. I can't see fans being happy with this set of out of conference home games in 2025-2027.

2025 - UMass, ETSU
2026 - Ball State, Army
2027 - UConn, UMass

Fans on the forums from other conferences are all saying we have no shot at a NY6 Bowl game for years because of our weak out of conference schedule.
Just John liked this
I really don't understand our scheduling philosophy. On my NCAA Football 13 video game, I just made Alabama play us in Lynchburg. We even beat them 66-3! (and yes, I'm upset that we even gave up those 3 points). I don't see why our AD can't do the same thing.

CFP champs or bust! #dreambig
thepostman, flamehunter, Purple Haize and 1 others liked this
jbock13 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 2:45 pm I really don't understand our scheduling philosophy. On my NCAA Football 13 video game, I just made Alabama play us in Lynchburg. We even beat them 66-3! (and yes, I'm upset that we even gave up those 3 points). I don't see why our AD can't do the same thing.

Post of the year candidate!
jbock13 wrote: May 18th, 2023, 2:45 pm I really don't understand our scheduling philosophy. On my NCAA Football 13 video game, I just made Alabama play us in Lynchburg. We even beat them 66-3! (and yes, I'm upset that we even gave up those 3 points). I don't see why our AD can't do the same thing.

How did Ballcoach HACK into Jbock's ASOR account??? :dontgetit
ballcoach15 liked this
sstaedtler wrote: May 18th, 2023, 2:01 pm
JK37 wrote:As long as one FCS win counts towards bowl eligibility, keep it on the schedule.
If you want to kill any chance at a New Year's 6 Bowl game, that is a good plan. I can't see fans being happy with this set of out of conference home games in 2025-2027.

2025 - UMass, ETSU
2026 - Ball State, Army
2027 - UConn, UMass

Fans on the forums from other conferences are all saying we have no shot at a NY6 Bowl game for years because of our weak out of conference schedule.
Would have to buyout and give up a home game to find a top 40 team looking for a G5 game (Arkansas type). Even if we were willing to give up a home game, finding one of those would also probably require LU kicking in more cash to the team a P5 would drop and playing 1 off road game for free and even then, finding that scenario is limited ( not impossible ) on short notice. That said, if that is the goal - our scheduling team does have a lot more free time on their hands to pursue a 1 game change if the directive is given. There are quite a few G5’s playing 2 P5 games annually. LU should never have 7 home games as a member of CUSA and never play an FCS team ( if they truly mean their stated goal is CFP ). Anyone claiming an undefeated season with bottom 5 schedule just hasn’t followed Playoff Committee and how much higher they regard SOS vs AP and Coaches Poll.
I mean it's how CCU was ignored when they went undefeated and were ranked #12 or whatever it was a few years back. It ended up not mattering because Malik showed out. We even tried to give them a chance in OT and they still couldn't beat us.

Sorry had to go back and relish that victory once more.
Humble_Opinion wrote: May 18th, 2023, 5:40 pm I mean it's how CCU was ignored when they went undefeated and were ranked #12 or whatever it was a few years back. It ended up not mattering because Malik showed out. We even tried to give them a chance in OT and they still couldn't beat us.

CCU had a P5 win over Kansas and P5 “ equivalent “ Ranked BYU ( just for you BC/PH ) both on national tv one of 6 games due to Covid week 1, and one as hosting ESPN Gameday. Now do LU 25/27 schedule in a non Covid year...
LUOrange liked this
Freeze had a lot of influence on our weaker scheduling. That a long with our need to dump games for CUSA & P5's wanting easier non-conference games, all made it tough on us. Hopefully, Chadwell will have a scheduling philosophy that will align with our goals and intentions as a program. Freeze's scheduling philosophy was my biggest issue with 9followed by that nasty UNC blue & plain boring helmets :D ).
AATL, sstaedtler liked this
tyndal23 wrote:
Humble_Opinion wrote: May 18th, 2023, 5:40 pm I mean it's how CCU was ignored when they went undefeated and were ranked #12 or whatever it was a few years back. It ended up not mattering because Malik showed out. We even tried to give them a chance in OT and they still couldn't beat us.

CCU had a P5 win over Kansas and P5 “ equivalent “ Ranked BYU ( just for you BC/PH ) both on national tv one of 6 games due to Covid week 1, and one as hosting ESPN Gameday. Now do LU 25/27 schedule in a non Covid year...
You seem to be arguing with me here as if I didn't agree with your stance. CCU was kept out of the NY's 6 even with a conference schedule and a few decent wins. How much more so are we likely to get ignored with our schedule regardless of the # of wins we have? Understand now?
Humble_Opinion wrote: May 19th, 2023, 9:16 am
tyndal23 wrote:

You seem to be arguing with me here as if I didn't agree with your stance. CCU was kept out of the NY's 6 even with a conference schedule and a few decent wins. How much more so are we likely to get ignored with our schedule regardless of the # of wins we have? Understand now?
I understand, you understand, but the old farts on here who think they are funny and ridicule any thoughts contrary to a 50 year build step by step and “ winning cures everything” and “fans will come regardless of who we schedule” , “ we must get respect from “G5 school Presidents and are just so fortunate to be in a conference” , “ bowl eligibility is everything” ( unless they don’t like the MAC team we get paired against before Christmas ( then suddenly it isn’t worth going to ) don’t understand. It’s almost like 2020 and Arkansas/BYU didn’t happen. If LU does go undefeated and gets left out to a 1-2 loss AAC, MW or Sunbelt - they will be railing against the “bias”. Nope - it will be because of SOS.
sstaedtler liked this

Were you playing in “P5 Equivalent Mode”?
flamehunter, Ill flame liked this
No G5 has ever been passed over for a NY6 berth by another G5 with more losses in the CFP era. The committe loves to talk about SOS but the rankings havent matched the rhetoric yet which is why the big ten is looking to make their schedules weaker to match the SEC. Meanwhile boise state has been winning 10+ games a year with the type of schedule you are advocating for and haven't had a NY6 bowl to show for it since 2014.

What is the goal with our schedules? Are we scheduling exclusively for a NY6/CFP berth or are we trying to maximize fan interest during the regular season because they aren't the same. Our current schedule align close with the former while you seem to be advocating for the latter which isn't wrong, it just has its own downsides.
Baybird, Dalegarz1, AATL liked this
Ill flame wrote: May 19th, 2023, 1:39 pm No G5 has ever been passed over for a NY6 berth by another G5 with more losses in the CFP era. The committe loves to talk about SOS but the rankings havent matched the rhetoric yet which is why the big ten is looking to make their schedules weaker to match the SEC. Meanwhile boise state has been winning 10+ games a year with the type of schedule you are advocating for and haven't had a NY6 bowl to show for it since 2014.

What is the goal with our schedules? Are we scheduling exclusively for a NY6/CFP berth or are we trying to maximize fan interest during the regular season because they aren't the same. Our current schedule align close with the former while you seem to be advocating for the latter which isn't wrong, it just has its own downsides.
I think our schedule is doing neither. CUSA is the weakest G5 possible to start off. Our wins won't get respect in conference to give us a shot at NY6, at least to start off. Big 10 can afford to make their out of conference weaker because their conferenc schedules are so hard. And certainly ETSU and UMass, Ball State, UConn, UMass again, don't stoke fan interest in buying season tickets.
LUOrange liked this
DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]