Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Sep 6th
University of Buffalo
Buffalo, New York

UB Stadium
Opened in 1993 - Seats 29,013

The first road trip of the season heads up to the Canadian border before it gets ridiculously cold or covered in lake effect snow. Buffalo is a surprisingly cool place to visit. There is amazing architecture (Frank Lloyd Wright et al), canals and a terrific naval military park. I know we have a few Teddy Roosevelt fans and there is a historical museum for his inauguration that occurred in Buffalo after McKinley's assassination. But the crown jewel of this trip is obvious ...

Even though passports are now required to head across the border, Niagara remains awe-inspiring. I recognize that many of the East Coasters on here probably have made this pilgrimage a time or two. But if you haven't, it is epic for new eyes.

Sep 23rd
Florida International University
Miami, Florida

FIU Football Stadium
Opened in 1995 - Seats 23,500

Any trip to Miami is a good excuse to travel. And with MIA offering cheap flights to most major cities, this seems like a no brainer for a weekend away. All of the CUSA fans talk about how the stadium is always empty and you can score tickets for less than 10 bucks with easy walking from local hotels. And since we have a large contingent of Floridians along our alumni, I suspect this will be a good showing for us.

Calle Ocho still offers killer Cubano sandwiches and if you are into outdoor art the Wynwood Walls are spectacular. I hit them up for a few hours on every trip to South Florida.

Oct 10th
Jacksonville State University
Jacksonville, Alabama

Burgess Snow Field at JSU Stadium
Opened in 1947 - Seats 24,000

There is no sugarcoating the obvious ... this is not the most attractive destination of the fall. And with it being a Tuesday night affair, I suspect most fans will happily watch from home. It sits roughly halfway between Birmingham and Atlanta making it accessible for many of our alumni. Just a 2-hour drive from the ATL. NASCAR rolls through Talladega on the 10th. But that is nine long days of not much in between.

Oct 24th
Western Kentucky University
Bowling Green, Kentucky

Houchen Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium
Opened in 1968 - Seats 23,776

Yeah, another Tuesday night matchup. Even though we have a game with Bowling Green on our schedule, that is a different state. And I am not sure what it is with Kentuckians but they name their schools poorly. Western Kentucky is essentially in Southern Kentucky and Eastern Kentucky is in Central Kentucky. But I digress. Bowling Green is just an hour north of Nashville offering all of the great tourism options of the Music City. But those don't need selling.

Mammoth Cave National Park is just 40 minutes up I-65 and like Niagara is mind-blowing for first time visitors. I am also a big fan of the National Corvette Museum. You may have heard about the sinkhole collapse a few years ago and that is now an exhibit.

Nov 25th
University of Texas-El Paso
El Paso, Texas

Sun Bowl Stadium
Opened in 1963 - Seats 51,500

We start the season on the Canadian border and it on the Rio Grande. Let the record show that it is not a massive safety concern in El Paso. I highly discourage anyone from straying over to Juarez under any circumstances. It should be noted that you can escape the prolonged family hangout on Thanksgiving Day by catching a late Thursday or Friday morning flight to barely Texas. Don't even think about driving. El Paso is actually a terrific place to visit for a day or so. And a game at historic Sun Bowl is a great excuse to make the flight. But there is plenty more out in the desert. If you miss Mammoth Cave, the second largest cave system in the US is a 2-hour drive to Carlsbad Caverns. But just an hour and half north is the newest national park at White Sands.

It is actually closer to Las Cruces calls home. But unless you plan on making an annual voyage out west, I would highly recommend giving yourself a half day to take in this cool park.

So which destination catches your eye?
flamehunter liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 12th, 2023, 10:37 pm Thursday night. I linked above some cruises leaving Friday morning.
We are taking our cruise in Feb/March!
Smooth and I might go. I dunno still gotta take time off work
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Mrs. Sly & I are headed to the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan in April/May. Prices are getting lower by the day.

Now back to the previous discussion on our road trips this fall ...
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 5:28 pm Can’t wait to visit UTEP...
El Paso is Mrs. Cider's hometown! I was married there in 1986 and went to the Sun Bowl in 1984 (after riding a Greyhound bus 36 hours from Huntington). And Ballcoach was in the Army there at Fort Bliss.
By Ill flame
I had an opportunity to go to fort bliss next but turned it down. I really have no desire to live in El paso although it would've been a nice consolation prize for LU to come to town frequently.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Marty Robbins (and Ballcoach) loved El Paso.

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
If anyone is heading to Buffalo, I recommend the following places to eat:
Anchor Bar, which claims to be home to the original buffalo wings: https://anchorbar.com
Andersons, which is similar to Dairy Queen: https://andersonscustard.com/locations/
The Grill at the Dome, owned by the brother of my mother-in-law's good friend: https://www.thegrillatthedome.com
Spot Coffee for coffee and pastries: https://www.spotcoffee.com
Tim Horton's, also good coffee even if it is a Canadian thing

Places to stay:
Giacomo Hotel, if you want to be close to the falls: https://thegiacomo.com
If you use AirBnB, look up Yvonne's Place
Otherwise, just go to Choicehotels, Hilton, or Marriott and book your favorite brand

Things to do:
Niagara Falls - Passport or enhanced driver's license required to cross into Canada. Passport cards can be used at the land border. Global Entry gets you access to the Nexus lanes.
Shop at the Galleria
Go to Ellicottville for breweries and quaint shops
Walk along Canalside
Take an afternoon cruise (We did the Miss Buffalo II)
Paddock Golf Dome
Go to the wineries around Niagara-On-The-Lake if you do go into Canada
If you've got time and want something bigger, Toronto is only a couple hours away

Also, for those coming from the south: New York's Finger Lakes wine region and the Corning Glass Museum make for good stops on the way to/from the area if you're driving.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Also, the only reason I'd go to the UTEP game would be to cross the border into New Mexico and cross that state off my list.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Next season there will likely be a game in Las Cruces. That might be a better option. But you'd be flying into El Paso either way. Having White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Big Bend and Marfa within a reasonable driving distance created some options.

As for Buffalo, barring work challenges I am tentatively planning on that trip with Mrs. Sly. She's never experienced Niagara.
ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: May 16th, 2023, 7:13 am Next season there will likely be a game in Las Cruces. That might be a better option. But you'd be flying into El Paso either way. Having White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, Big Bend and Marfa within a reasonable driving distance created some options.

As for Buffalo, barring work challenges I am tentatively planning on that trip with Mrs. Sly. She's never experienced Niagara.
We may see you there. My mother-in-law lives in Buffalo, and my mom wants to go to Niagara Falls.
By jmclaughlin
Anyone going to the original Bowling Green next Tuesday?
I am on the fence about jumping in the car and driving it. As a North Texan, BG, KY (3 states away) is about the same distance from me as the last game of the year that takes place in...Texas.
Flying to Nashville is also a decent option.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Last call on a road game this season. We will have a bowl to discuss at some point pending the outcome fo the final two games. But otherwise it is all about the salsa from El Paso ... not New York City !?! (Pace Picante reference from back int he day).

We'll have to wait until thre New Year to find out what our travel schedule looks like for 2024. Does the Kennesaw addition result in a disruption of the home-and-away flow from this year's matchups? Where will Sam Houston play their home games next year while stadium renovations are underway? What is there to do in Ruston, Lousiana? :lol:
LU 57, Cider Jim liked this

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]