Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Ill flame wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 10:51 am
Kricket wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 8:23 am I didn’t think Cooley stood out in a good way. Fumbling or close to fumbling a few times with no explosive plays.
The man averaged 5 yards per carry. It's wrong to expect frequent explosive plays out of him, because thats not his game. He's going to be our reliable bruiser that gets us consistent yards every carry, especially in short yardage situations while Vaughn Blue will be more of the explosive back.
Honestly 5 yards per carry isn’t my issue. My issue he put the ball on the ground and almost lost a second one. Part of being a bruiser is consistency and that involves holding onto the ball.
Purple Haize wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 9:44 am
Ill flame wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 2:28 am
Purple Haize wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 9:30 pm Not sure what game y’all were watching. But I thought this was everything we could have hoped for in the 1st Game of the Post Freeze era.
I know we are all homers here and always watch games through our red colored glasses but I was hoping for better than to struggle against one of the worst programs in the country even despite the inevitable growing pains. We were more talented than them across the board.
I’ve never been accused of looking at things with rose colored glasses. How do you think I got my Moniker?
If this team wins 6 games and is Bowl Eligible that’s a successful season. Based on first appearances the culture that Chadwell is building is poised to produce a great future.
I think it’s the difference of expectations. I think you always try to be fair to the team, coaching staff, and program as a whole. Likely, it’s purposeful to balance the irrational fan base a bit.

I’m not as patient and I’d expect us to easily handle a team like Bowling Green at home. Not saying my expectations are right, but that’s obviously where the difference comes in.
JK37 wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 11:03 am
I’m with you on talent and even expectations. But didn’t BG go to a Bowl last year?
It's just one metric but they were ranked 122 (of 131) in FPI last year. They were blown out in every game they lost except against the fcs school and the bowl game. Then the games they did win were all one score games except one despite playing a weak schedule. These are teams we should be comfortably beating in year 1 and blowing out in subsequent years.
Kricket liked this
Welcome back from the sports abyss of summer. I purposely take a break from posting during the summer, but daily check the boards for words of wisdom, sometimes even finding some.
I, for one am quite pleased with yesterday's win for a number of reasons. Most of all, over the years I attended at least three first games of new head coaches at my Alma Mater and left with little or no reason to be optimistic, much less a W!
I had prepared to see a first game dumpster fire or at the very least a lot of confusion with little results.
The fact that this team appeared to have a grasp of this offense with the 50% roster turnover along with a new head coach and coaches is flabbergasting to me, no matter the opponent. It wasn't perfect, but I know for a fact that this coaching staff "gets it".
For this defense to function at all with all the defections and with Kendy Charles out of the game is noteworthy, but the defensive backs (themselves new as starters) picked up the slack and were stellar with the exception of a couple of plays.
The fact that this team never lost focus after a bad play cannot be overstated. That speaks to attitude and coaching. We are blessed.
Next week will be another measuring stick as NMSU spanked us here last year, but I am cautiously optimistic about the long term future of this program. For those few that think because LU has facilities and resources, that we should be expecting to walk on the field and win against anyone, I feel sorry that you can't appreciate the significance of yesterday's win. I, for one am elated!
tyndal23, ATrain, jimflamesfan and 4 others liked this
JK37 wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 11:03 am
Purple Haize wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 9:30 pm Not sure what game y’all were watching. But I thought this was everything we could have hoped for in the 1st Game of the Post Freeze era.
I know we are all homers here and always watch games through our red colored glasses but I was hoping for better than to struggle against one of the worst programs in the country even despite the inevitable growing pains. We were more talented than them across the board.
I’m with you on talent and even expectations. But didn’t BG go to a Bowl last year?
Yes, with a win over Marshall in the regular season and a narrow loss to NMSU in the Quick Lane Bowl. NMSU blew us out last year. They also beat Toledo, who beat us.

Bowling Green isn't the best team in the world by any stretch of the imagination, but they aren't a pushover team either.
Ill flame wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 10:47 am

I’ve never been accused of looking at things with rose colored glasses. How do you think I got my Moniker?
If this team wins 6 games and is Bowl Eligible that’s a successful season. Based on first appearances the culture that Chadwell is building is poised to produce a great future.
We literally have the weakest schedule in the country with plenty of talent left over from the HF era and several solid additions. If we only win 6 games I would be very concerned.
I’m not sure I agree with the statement ‘plenty of talent left over from the HF era’. Plenty of new faces in key positions and along the O and D line
ATrain, LUOrange liked this
Purple Haize wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 3:11 pm
Ill flame wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 10:47 am

We literally have the weakest schedule in the country with plenty of talent left over from the HF era and several solid additions. If we only win 6 games I would be very concerned.
I’m not sure I agree with the statement ‘plenty of talent left over from the HF era’. Plenty of new faces in key positions and along the O and D line
If I'm counting correctly 75% of our tackles, all 5 interceptions, over half our receptions, most (all?) of our starting O line and obviously the QB during this game were all left over from last year's team. I guess the word "plenty" is subjective but that feels like a lot to me.
Ill flame wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 5:48 pm I guess the word "plenty" is subjective but that feels like a lot to me.
Depends on how you are counting. I think even Coach Chadwell has said he had to replace 50% of his roster since the spring game! :shock: :fineprint
LUOrange liked this
Cider Jim wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 7:02 pm
Ill flame wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 5:48 pm I guess the word "plenty" is subjective but that feels like a lot to me.
Depends on how you are counting. I think even Coach Chadwell has said he had to replace 50% of his roster since the spring game! :shock: :fineprint
Thats technically true but it doesnt change how much talent is left on this roster. I believe we lost 27 players to the portal but less than half of them went to another FBS school, only 5 went to P5 schools. The rest are playing FCS or lower football or aren't even playing college football at all anymore. Chadwell got rid of far more dead weight than he lost real talent. The 40-50 players that remained have a lot of talent and experience and are mostly the players that are filling out the 2 deep now.
LUOrange, ballcoach15 liked this
Cider Jim wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 7:02 pm
Of the 22 starters on O and D from last year, we returned 5 of the 22 starters total, have a new punter and a new kicker, . . . and Charles sat out. Add in the injuries to Schlitter and thw WRs, I was not real sure how we'd do in 1st game.
Purple Haize liked this
I think it also needs to be said: if they didn't block that field goal, we'd have an extra 3 points and they'd have 7 points taken off the scoreboard. One lucky play made this game closer, but we still won by 10 against a decent MAC team. Yes, it would've been nice to have won by 20, but for the first game with our first year head coach, a revamped roster, and a new system, I think we did well overall. Yes, there is room for improvement - there is ALWAYS room for improvement - but I think we're gonna be more than ok.
By AATL
ATrain wrote: September 4th, 2023, 11:05 am I think it also needs to be said: if they didn't block that field goal, we'd have an extra 3 points and they'd have 7 points taken off the scoreboard. One lucky play made this game closer, but we still won by 10 against a decent MAC team. Yes, it would've been nice to have won by 20, but for the first game with our first year head coach, a revamped roster, and a new system, I think we did well overall. Yes, there is room for improvement - there is ALWAYS room for improvement - but I think we're gonna be more than ok.
Agreed! They also took a knee on the 1 yard line to end the game for the sake of sportsmanship. I'm not arguing the game was flawless, but the score certainly didn't feel indicative of how lopsided the game was.
ATrain, thesportscritic liked this
I finally got to listen to Chadwell's post-game presser last night, and I continue to be impressed with the former Beach Chicken. :D I really love his positivity and enthusiasm. It's very refreshing. Loved how he mentioned that the game felt like his first, as he was starting his dream job. We'll be good this year and especially long term while he's here. Only downside was that Kendy Charles will probably miss NMSU.
ATrain wrote: September 4th, 2023, 11:05 am I think it also needs to be said: if they didn't block that field goal, we'd have an extra 3 points and they'd have 7 points taken off the scoreboard. One lucky play made this game closer, but we still won by 10 against a decent MAC team. Yes, it would've been nice to have won by 20, but for the first game with our first year head coach, a revamped roster, and a new system, I think we did well overall. Yes, there is room for improvement - there is ALWAYS room for improvement - but I think we're gonna be more than ok.
It goes both ways. They can say the same thing about throwing 5 interceptions including a pick 6 and it still being a one score game for almost the whole 4th quarter. Regardless I'm happy to come away with the win at the end of the day, I just can't say this game was everything I could've hoped for. Personally after we were up 24-0 I was hoping to score again and get our backups some experience since we have so many new people. Hopefully there will be more time for that against some of the other cupcakes on our schedule.
Kricket liked this
So much negativity being spewed here... geez. I thought the team came out looking great. The offense has barely been installed and they looked leaps and bounds better than last year.
1) Salter appears to have bought in to what Chadwell/Korn are selling, and his skillset is tailor-made for this offense. Other than one issue with ball security where he looked a little too loose... he made great reads in the option and had several nice completions.
2) The run game looked explosive. Dae Dae was great last year, but the run game this year looks like it's going to be hard to defend for opposing teams.
3) Despite what has been said around here, the defense only returned 2 starters from last year, and only one of those played this game (Singleton).
4) PH said it, but I love the overall direction that the culture of the team is headed. They're letting the kids have fun and bringing some swagger. Chadwell wants to be here. The marketing the past few years looked more like it was geared towards making HF look better. Under Chadwell, it seems more team/program focused.
5) The blocked FG was a 10-point swing as ATrain said. Huge play. It happened for two reasons: a) on shorter kicks, they should be kicking underneath the ball more to better avoid blocks and b) They decided to play TSwift right before the kick, which brings me to number 6).
6) After 4+ years in FBS our fans should have a higher football IQ by now and so should the band and the support staff/announcers. Stop the music when we have the ball. Only play it when the opposing team has the ball and for God sake's make some noise other than on 3rd down.
By rtb72
Humble_Opinion wrote: September 5th, 2023, 5:46 pm So much negativity being spewed here... geez. I thought the team came out looking great. The offense has barely been installed and they looked leaps and bounds better than last year.
1) Salter appears to have bought in to what Chadwell/Korn are selling, and his skillset is tailor-made for this offense. Other than one issue with ball security where he looked a little too loose... he made great reads in the option and had several nice completions.
2) The run game looked explosive. Dae Dae was great last year, but the run game this year looks like it's going to be hard to defend for opposing teams.
3) Despite what has been said around here, the defense only returned 2 starters from last year, and only one of those played this game (Singleton).
4) PH said it, but I love the overall direction that the culture of the team is headed. They're letting the kids have fun and bringing some swagger. Chadwell wants to be here. The marketing the past few years looked more like it was geared towards making HF look better. Under Chadwell, it seems more team/program focused.
5) The blocked FG was a 10-point swing as ATrain said. Huge play. It happened for two reasons: a) on shorter kicks, they should be kicking underneath the ball more to better avoid blocks and b) They decided to play TSwift right before the kick, which brings me to number 6).
6) After 4+ years in FBS our fans should have a higher football IQ by now and so should the band and the support staff/announcers. Stop the music when we have the ball. Only play it when the opposing team has the ball and for God sake's make some noise other than on 3rd down.
You would think. This is so frustrating.
ballcoach15, Liberty22 liked this
Someone told me that their QB has over 30 starts in SEC & Big-10? And yet, we end up forcing this prized transfer out of the game, while holding their offense to a pedestrian 17 points. With what? It almost seems as if the entire D from last year is either at SMU, the SEC, or trying out for an NFL practice squad somewhere.

So, a bunch of guys buried on last season's depth chart can do this? Jerome Jolly, among others, was both omnipresent and disruptive. It's just one game, but if this is a taste of things to come, then, we're likely going bowling again this year. Not bad, given the circumstances. Only time will tell.
paradox wrote: September 7th, 2023, 1:11 pm Someone told me that their QB has over 30 starts in SEC & Big-10? And yet, we end up forcing this prized transfer out of the game, while holding their offense to a pedestrian 17 points. With what? It almost seems as if the entire D from last year is either at SMU, the SEC, or trying out for an NFL practice squad somewhere.
Bazelak lost his starting QB spot at mizzou, transfered to Indiana before losing it there as well which is why he's at bowling green. He's currently third in the nation for interceptions thrown in a career among active QBs with 30. The two ahead of him are on on their fifth full season so if he uses his covid year next year he should be number 1 in the country assuming he doesn't lose his starting job at bowling green as well. I'm sure bowling green was excited to have him considering he was a former 4* but there's a reason he went from getting an offer from Georgia to getting benched by a middling MAC school. Honestly I felt bad for him, it must be a mental thing because he kept missing open receivers.
JK37 liked this
Lest we forget that the other guy came in and had interceptions as well. Maybe, it's the D. Maybe not. Time will tell.

It's early. And, many remain cautiously optimistic regarding a developing Salter and a potentially emerging defense. It's a decent start. Hopefully, something to build on.
LUOrange liked this
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]