Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, Ohio

Public Institution
Founded in 1910
Enrollment: 22,986
Athletic Affiliation: MAC
Nickname: Falcons
Famous Alumni: Tim Conway, Urban Meyer, Orel Hershiser, Don Nehlen, Nate Thurmond & Jay Crawford

BGSU Football Official Site

Scot Loeffler
5th Season as BGSU Head Coach

2022 Final Results

Sep 03 - @ UCLA ................................................... L, 17-45
Sep 10 - Eastern Kentucky .................................... L, 57-59 (7OT)
Sep 17 - Marshall .................................................. W, 34-31 (OT)
Sep 24 - @ Mississippi State .................................. L, 14-45
Oct 01 - @ Akron .................................................. W, 31-28
Oct 08 - Buffalo .................................................... L, 7-38
Oct 15 - Miami (OH) .............................................. W, 17-13
Oct 22 - @ Central Michigan .................................. W, 34-18
Nov 02 - Western Michigan ................................... W, 13-9
Nov 09 - Kent State ............................................... L, 6-40
Nov 15 - @ Toledo ................................................ W, 42-35
Nov 22 - @ Ohio .................................................... L, 14-38

Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit
Dec 26 - vs New Mexico State ................................. L, 19-24
Waiting for Ballcoach to get up on his soapbox and state that LU should not be playing MAC schools, and he will not be in attendance. :nono :oldhag :nonono

But they were good enough to beat Marshall (who beat Notre Dame).
We probably needed to play a MAC school to help fill out the schedule this season. But moving foward, I hope we don't play MAC schools again.
I am afraid that in the future there will be many CUSA vs MAC Bowl game match ups. Hopefully Liberty will have good enough record each season to avoid them, and play a more respectable team from a better conference.
LUOrange liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: January 12th, 2023, 9:52 am We probably needed to play a MAC school to help fill out the schedule this season. But moving foward, I hope we don't play MAC schools again.
I am afraid that in the future there will be many CUSA vs MAC Bowl game match ups. Hopefully Liberty will have good enough record each season to avoid them, and play a more respectable team from a better conference.
Didn’t LU just lose to a MAC team in a Bowl game :dontgetit :dontgetit
Cider Jim liked this
Purple Haize wrote: January 12th, 2023, 1:51 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 12th, 2023, 9:52 am We probably needed to play a MAC school to help fill out the schedule this season. But moving foward, I hope we don't play MAC schools again.
Yes, and that was the worst possible bowl match up of the bowl season, win or lose. It was so bad, that I refused to go and donated my bowl ticket to the military. MAC is worse conference in FBS football.
ballcoach15 wrote: January 12th, 2023, 2:46 pm
MAC is worse conference in FBS football.
Sounds like a pretty good matchup, considering they BEAT us.

I've never understood why Ballcoach skips games based on who LU plays. Both times LU played football in Cville, Ballcoach refused to go because of how much he hates the Hoos. :furious
ballcoach15 wrote: January 12th, 2023, 2:46 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 12th, 2023, 1:51 pm
Yes, and that was the worst possible bowl match up of the bowl season, win or lose. It was so bad, that I refused to go and donated my bowl ticket to the military. MAC is worse conference in FBS football.
So you donated something you felt was substandard and worthless. How virtuous of you
Purple Haize wrote: January 12th, 2023, 7:27 pm
So you donated something you felt was substandard and worthless. How virtuous of you
I really hope that Ballcoach is NOT the kind of guy who gives USED tea bags to missionaries. :nono :oldhag :pray
Very happy to say that a friend of mine rescheduled their wedding haha so I will be able to go to this one, should be a good one.

Also, this being my first post here a simple introduction:

LU grad, played football under Rocco, and am currently an EC teacher.Will maybe go into more details about myself when get to know you all a bit better :mrgreen:

Go Flames!
SumItUp, LU 57, alabama24 and 2 others liked this
LUOrange wrote: January 15th, 2023, 10:04 pm I, also, don't like playing most of the MAC schools. I hope we seriously reconsider scheduling again any of the schools who didn't want to work with us when we needed to drop games for CUSA. Allegedly, the were MAC schools and UMass.
I think there is a way out of the 2026 home game vs. Ball State. Hopefully Ian McCaw reads this...LOL. They have 3 out of conference road games that year, including Indiana and Ohio State. Have them move that game to 2032, which they should be glad to do so they can have 2 home and 2 road games. In 2032, don't play an FCS team so the other out of conference home game can be a decent team. Opening up the schedule in 2026 would be great.
LUOrange liked this
BGSU had a very... up or down season last year by all accounts. Sheesh.

I see everyone here complaining about the schedule. I'd rather see us dominate the "easy" schedule and prove we're one of the top dogs in G5, for other reasons than facilities/money. To compete with the best, you have to beat the rest. We lost to Toledo and have been pushed by other MAC schools. Besides the odd October schedule, I'm fine with the teams we're playing this year.
LUOrange, jimflamesfan, ballcoach15 and 1 others liked this
SB Nation wrote:What’s New for the 2023 Bowling Green Falcons?
A QB battle and some new coaches highlight the changes BGSU has undergone after a much-improved 2022 campaign.

By SamKasuga
Jul 11, 2023, 10:00am EDT

2022 showed brought great promise for the rebuilding Bowling Green Falcons as they put up a 6-7 record, the most since the 2015 season. It saw the Falcons win the Battle of I-75 for the first time since 2019, and make their return to a bowl game, a 24-19 loss to New Mexico State in the Quick Lane Bowl. It also saw former Falcon defensive lineman Karl Brooks taken in the sixth round of the NFL Draft, the first Falcon drafted since WR Scotty Miller in 2019.

Scot Loeffler signed an extension in the offseason to keep him in Wood County through the 2025 season as well, an indication that current leadership approves of the progress the program has made.
Click Here for Full Story
SB Nation Hustle Belt wrote:Here’s what’s going on with the QB room:

Departures:

Matt McDonald (graduation)
Owen Bainbridge (transferred to NCAA DII Notre Dame College)
Drew Gunther (not listed on 2023 roster)

Arrivals:

Connor Bazelak (transfer from Indiana)
Lucian Anderson III (incoming recruit)
Coleman Teasdale (incoming recruit)
Hayden Timosciek (transfer from Purdue)

Incumbent:

Camden Orth
If you read our “What’s New?” piece for the Orange and Brown, you’ll know that there is going to be a QB battle. If you haven’t read that piece, you should go read it. If you don’t remember, here’s your brief summary.

Connor Bazelak, a Dayton, Ohio native, brings Power Five experience having stops at Missouri and Indiana. He brings almost 7,400 passing yards and 36 passing touchdowns over his career, with two years of eligibility left.

Camden Orth, last year’s backup, started one game against Mississippi State, and led the Falcons in the Quick Lane Bowl after Matt McDonald left with an injury. Orth also has starting experience from his time at Long Island (FCS) prior to arriving at BGSU.

While it’s still unclear who has the job, Bazelak would be the expected starter on paper.

The Falcons improved their passing game immensely last season. They threw for almost 500 more yards than 2021, which also increased their pass yards/game by about 20 yards. Completion percentage passed the 60% threshold, they threw 13 more passing touchdowns, and improved the passer rating by 12 points. It’s not unfair to expect them to keep improving their passing game, especially with this years’ explosive receiving corps.

The article goes on to explain the situation at RB, WR & TE.
mLive wrote:Michigan opponent preview: Bowling Green, coached by former Michigan QB
Published: Aug. 10, 2023, 11:08 a.m.

By Andrew Kahn | akahn1@mlive.com

When Scot Loeffler got the head coaching job with Bowling Green football in 2019, he received a call from the program’s former coach Dave Clawson.

Clawson provided Loeffler a road map: “You’re going to suck Year 1 and Year 2,” Loeffler recalled him saying. “Year 3 you’ll start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And Year 4 you’ll make a run for it on your side.”
And as of a week ago, this was the QB situation as reported from a news outlet just an hour or so north of the BGSU campus.
One of those key additions is quarterback Connor Bazelak, who played three seasons at Missouri and last year at Indiana, where he completed just 55 percent of his passes for 5.4 yards per attempt. Both figures were career lows and ranked last in the Big Ten among qualified passers. He was 25-for-49 for 203 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in a 31-10 loss to Michigan.

Loeffler recruited Bazelak, an Ohio native, out of high school when Loeffler was the offensive coordinator at Boston College. Bazelak didn’t have much around him at Indiana and could have a bounce-back year, assuming he wins the job over Camden Orth, last year’s backup.

Let's try this again and see if I can avoid putting football content into the hockey forum this time.

Here's Scot Loeffler's press conference from today in regards to their matchup with Liberty. All signs point to Bazelak starting at QB, but it seems both coaches are going to wait before broadcasting that info. Also; "Jamey Caldwell coming from.. Carolina"

jmclaughlin liked this
AATL wrote: August 28th, 2023, 3:21 pm Let's try this again and see if I can avoid putting football content into the hockey forum this time.

Here's Scot Loeffler's press conference from today in regards to their matchup with Liberty. All signs point to Bazelak starting at QB, but it seems both coaches are going to wait before broadcasting that info. Also; "Jamey Caldwell coming from.. Carolina"

Well, Caldwell came from a Carolina. :dontgetit

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]