Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jmclaughlin
AS much as kids are looking over the fence to "greener pastures" it is hard to imagine forgoing the chance to play in the Fiesta Bowl. Is it likely that Kendy, Preston, etc skip completely? I am sure they have the choice to play.
Even JB, though unlikely to play no matter what, would be crazy to miss the chance to suite up.

Anyone with thoughts?

It was baked-in that Hodge was leaving months ago. He had been getting recruited hard for a while by some big dawgs with NIL $. He is from my hometown and it was no secret. Hard to be mad at a kid with the type of $$ being pumped into the new college free agency.

Wild, Wild West days of SMU are completely legit now. Sad
By AATL
It seems like a ton of coaches have openly acknowledged this is a problem and/or made thinly-veiled references to certain other program(s).

I understand the significant drawbacks of a coach publicly outing another program for tampering; especially since many P4 programs would be throwing stones from glass houses. But surely at some point some on-the-hot-seat coach is going to lose a key player, get on a soapbox, and drop enough names and receipts to make this a big media thing, right? This isn't sustainable.

Honestly, I think the NCAA's recent proposal would benefit Liberty. Liberty is much closer to competing via institutional money than alumni-driven NIL money.
cruzan_flame13, LUOrange, TH Spangler and 1 others liked this
By tyndal23
AATL wrote: December 13th, 2023, 10:45 pm It seems like a ton of coaches have openly acknowledged this is a problem and/or made thinly-veiled references to certain other program(s).

I understand the significant drawbacks of a coach publicly outing another program for tampering; especially since many P4 programs would be throwing stones from glass houses. But surely at some point some on-the-hot-seat coach is going to lose a key player, get on a soapbox, and drop enough names and receipts to make this a big media thing, right? This isn't sustainable.

Honestly, I think the NCAA's recent proposal would benefit Liberty. Liberty is much closer to competing via institutional money than alumni-driven NIL money.
I concur on LU institutional $ angle. That would be “the answer” for Liberty Athletics bypassing G5 Purgatory. Also - Rather than a no tax benefit NIL - donate to Liberty ( with a designator towards sports ) and get the best of both worlds in tax write off “donations” designated to NIL and Institutional $. Anxious to see Prez BHAG growth proposal due out any day...
By cruzan_flame13
tyndal23 wrote: December 14th, 2023, 12:36 am
AATL wrote: December 13th, 2023, 10:45 pm It seems like a ton of coaches have openly acknowledged this is a problem and/or made thinly-veiled references to certain other program(s).

I concur on LU institutional $ angle. That would be “the answer” for Liberty Athletics bypassing G5 Purgatory. Also - Rather than a no tax benefit NIL - donate to Liberty ( with a designator towards sports ) and get the best of both worlds in tax write off “donations” designated to NIL and Institutional $.
Anxious to see Prez BHAG growth proposal due out any day...
This part is important. The vision he spoke about is huge compared to the stagnated pace that was purposefully happening here for the past few years. If he is planning to build this school in a way never seen before at LU, it should be known that athletics will be going the same route. This realignment change the college sports world forever. There's no way they are thinking of going the same route of the past. It will not work out at all in the direction college sports, especially football, is going. We'll have to "buy" our way in like SMU did, but that strategic plan has to be in place. That's why a lot of money have to go into academics, enrollment increase and campus expansion first.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Can't worry about next year yet... The Transfer Portal sucks... The rules that allow players to transfer multiple times suck... The ability for the big schools to pay their players a bunch of money sucks...

It will all kill college athletics for schools like Liberty and basically force there to be SEC/Big10 and then everyone else will be the new D1AA.

It all sucks... but let's enjoy this year - hope Hodge plays and then cross that bridge next year. I can tell you that our administration and coaches will do all they can to put a competitive team on the field and bright spot - we do have another good QB on the way that led one of the top teams in the country. I hope Salter comes back, but can't blame the man for taking 3 million for playing for someone like Ohio State.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
tyndal23 wrote: December 14th, 2023, 12:36 am Rather than a no tax benefit NIL - donate to Liberty ( with a designator towards sports ) and get the best of both worlds in tax write off “donations” designated to NIL and Institutional $.
Just wanted to clarify that Liberty's NIL Collective - Flames Rising - is a 501c3 and donations can be tax deductible.
Here is an honest question regarding NIL donations for Christians. How is NIL giving affecting the tithe? How is NIL giving affecting personal giving to missions?

I'm not against giving to NIL for the benefit of these players. Honestly, if our players produced sports cards and it benefitted their NIL then I would buy some or T-shirts. Yet, as Christians, I do believe we need to prayerfully consider what affects giving to NIL or any other kind of non-profit will have on our giving to the church & missions. Both of those are to be priorities over things like NIL or other types of non-profits.

Just wanted to share some thoughts from conversations I've had with other LU alums.

Keep up the great work ASOR, you guys continue to provide so many avenues for us to enjoy being fans!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
NCAA must crack down on the rogue schools recruiting off other team's rosters. If NCAA would stop this, the number of transfers would decrease. NCAA is not smart enough to realize this happens probably daily. They need to catch 1 of the rogues doing this, and slap a 3 year bowl ban on the school.

If I were the NCAA, I's start in the Big 10, if you know what I mean. There's one school that thinks they are so big, with so much $$$$$, that NCAA rules don't apply to them.
Tnobes liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 14th, 2023, 12:09 pm NCAA must crack down on the rogue schools recruiting off other team's rosters. If NCAA would stop this, the number of transfers would decrease. NCAA is not smart enough to realize this happens probably daily. They need to catch 1 of the rogues doing this, and slap a 3 year bowl ban on the school.

If I were the NCAA, I's start in the Big 10, if you know what I mean. There's one school that thinks they are so big, with so much $$$$$, that NCAA rules don't apply to them.
Perhaps the NCAA doesn't care? NCAA football is more popular now than ever. They, too, are easily influenced by $$$.
thesportscritic, Tnobes liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: December 14th, 2023, 12:05 pm Here is an honest question regarding NIL donations for Christians. How is NIL giving affecting the tithe? How is NIL giving affecting personal giving to missions?

I'm not against giving to NIL for the benefit of these players. Honestly, if our players produced sports cards and it benefitted their NIL then I would buy some or T-shirts. Yet, as Christians, I do believe we need to prayerfully consider what affects giving to NIL or any other kind of non-profit will have on our giving to the church & missions. Both of those are to be priorities over things like NIL or other types of non-profits.

Just wanted to share some thoughts from conversations I've had with other LU alums.

Keep up the great work ASOR, you guys continue to provide so many avenues for us to enjoy being fans!
Really??????????????????? Do you happen to be a pastor, church worker, or missionary? Asking for a friend.
By Tnobes
How is that question relevant? It's an honest question every Christian should think about, some of you think you check your Christianity at the door of the stadium 🏟️
By Tnobes
No such thing as a Jesus juke, Christianity is not something you compartmentalize, it's in every thing you do, say and think. The fact that you would say that says more about you than me but we've been over this before, you don't think Jesus has any place in sports and business, it's not surprising.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Calm down Mr. Piper.
Purple Haize liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Not saying we shouldn't continue trying to play at the highest level of college football. But it’s fair, at this point to step back and think about what's happening to the top level. Does it match Docs vision? Maybe, maybe not. We seem to have been blessed with the money to continue. The goal is to represent Christ in everything we do. Hopefully the two are possible.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: December 14th, 2023, 6:20 pm Not saying we shouldn't continue trying to play at the highest level of college football. But it’s fair, at this point to step back and think about what's happening to the top level. Does it match Docs vision? Maybe, maybe not. We seem to have been blessed with the money to continue. The goal is to represent Christ in everything we do. Hopefully the two are possible.
Clarify what you mean about ‘Docs Vision’ and playing at the highest level?
Is paying your head football coach $4 million + in alignment with that vision? How does having 2 coaches making almost $8 million square with those saying we need to be concerned about Tithing? Lookit, if you are taking your tithe and buying a season ticket or Flames Club membership that’s an issue between you and the Almighty. And if you want to compete on college athletics at the highest level do you put a ‘salary cap’ (salaries, facilities etc) on that?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I'm just saying, I'm not sure Doc had any idea the top level would turn into a pro league. I'm not saying it's still not a great place to be champions for Christ. Just saying Docs vision AND college football are at a critical cross road.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]