Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Tnobes
Baybird wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:26 am I think this is an interesting perspective from Ari Wasserman in an article written yesterday regarding the allegations against Harbaugh:

"The biggest con in the history of sports was the amateurism model. But more than that, it was how we were brainwashed to react to these types of infractions. We were conditioned to think that anyone who broke an NCAA rule — regardless of the reason or how ridiculous the rule was — was a terrible person. The NCAA criminalized activities that are second nature in a country programmed to pursue wealth."

https://theathletic.com/4063296/2023/01 ... m-tressel/
The players who took benefits were terrible people. They knew the rules but took money, cars and benefits anyways. College sports are amateur sports
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 8th, 2023, 8:11 pm Agreed. You commit to a school and transfer it shows a lack of foresight. Did you not do your research before you signed? Nobody forced you to sign, immature kids signing to schools before thinking ahead.
Coaches lie also they make decisions when they are 16, 17, or 18 years old. We all do stupid things at those ages and even much older than that.

Add in making more money somewhere else they’d kinda be crazy not to do it. Any snap of football could easily your last. Nobody cares about or looks out for the players so each player needs to look out for their self. Go get the bread while you can.
Risewithus, JK37 liked this
By Risewithus
Tnobes wrote: January 8th, 2023, 8:11 pm Agreed. You commit to a school and transfer it shows a lack of foresight. Did you not do your research before you signed? Nobody forced you to sign, immature kids signing to schools before thinking ahead.
Not always that simple. A family situation can change and you now need to be closer to home. A coaching change can happen and you don’t fit the scheme of the new coach. College football is cut throat. It’s 85 spots. The moment you are no longer deemed worthy of one of those 85 spots, your scholarship can be pulled. So yes, many kids don’t do their research, but also, many schools pull the old slight of hand on kids too. Kind of works both ways. Quite a few kids became walk ons after the season as their scholly was not renewed.
LU 57 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 8th, 2023, 8:13 pm
Baybird wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:26 am I think this is an interesting perspective from Ari Wasserman in an article written yesterday regarding the allegations against Harbaugh:

"The biggest con in the history of sports was the amateurism model. But more than that, it was how we were brainwashed to react to these types of infractions. We were conditioned to think that anyone who broke an NCAA rule — regardless of the reason or how ridiculous the rule was — was a terrible person. The NCAA criminalized activities that are second nature in a country programmed to pursue wealth."

The players who took benefits were terrible people. They knew the rules but took money, cars and benefits anyways. College sports are amateur sports
You missed the entire point of the article. But I’m not surprised.

And the point you tried to make, is also false. The prospective student-athletes aren’t required to know the rules, and rarely do. It’s the ADULTS in the situation that screwed the kids. Thankfully, there’s less opportunity for them to do so now due to deregulation and NIL.

The point of the article - which you blew right past - is that NCAA sports was the only place in our capitalist society that treated the pursuit of wealth through performance in this way. So to your point - thank you! - the kids did what they knew to do: take the money. It is natural and legal to literally EVERYONE else. Why couldn’t they?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:01 pm I don't know how Liberty does it but scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years at the P5 level until the moment they put their name in the portal.
In the sense that an institution - and not just P5’s - is supposed to have clear reason to non-renew the offer each year, and the legal reasons are few, the regs are there for this to be the case - in theory. But the regs are so easy to get around that every school does it. And it starts with the fact that the student-athlete has to sign a renewal offer each year. So they are not, legally, four-year deals. And schools bend the reasons to non-renew to their will whenever they want. For example, poor performance is not a legal to non-renew someone’s scholarship. So, the school/coach just finds another reason.
Risewithus liked this
By YaySports
Sorry if I get long winded…I have already been warned about that on these boards. I am working on better being concise.

The NCAA is very good about being vague to the general public regarding scholarships. From other resources, here is what I have gathered:

Many people think athletic scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years. This is because we see/hear so much in the news from the major conferences. In truth, athletic scholarships are a 1 year deal…with the exception of Power 5 (major) conference members and Notre Dame. Even though they are one year deals, they are renewed as long as there are no academic or conduct issues, and the student-athlete meets their coaches’ expectations (ie. there is a lot of leeway here).

Athletic scholarships also differ in head count sports and sports with equivalency scholarships.

Head count sports are those which have a certain number of athletic scholarships which cannot be divided between athletes. These sports are football (D1 FBS only), basketball (D1 men’s and women’s), tennis (D1 women only), gymnastics (D1 women only) and volleyball (D1 women only).

Equivalency scholarship sports are those that do not restrict how many athletes may be on scholarship, but do have a limit on the scholarships each team may have. These scholarships can be, and most often are, split between athletes. These sports are all D1 sports not listed above, all NCAA D2 sports, all NAIA sports, and all junior/community colleges.

**When a student-athlete gets an equivalency scholarship, the percentage may not be lowered in subsequent years. As an example, a high school student-athlete signs a baseball scholarship with a D1 P5 team. His scholarship could be for any percentage he is willing to accept up to 100%, which he receives. This school must now honor his 100% annually as long as there are no academic or conduct issues, and the student-athlete meets their coaches’ expectations. If he decides to enter the transfer portal, his scholarship is null at his current institution. New legislation though says that his next institution MUST meet his 100% scholarship.
****There are a lot of “what-ifs” and “therefores” to this scenario, but I will leave those out at this time since the post is already too long.

(NCAA D3 sports do not offer athletic scholarships, but do offer other forms of financial aid.)
Risewithus liked this
By Tnobes
aredd33 wrote: January 8th, 2023, 8:43 pm
Coaches lie also they make decisions when they are 16, 17, or 18 years old. We all do stupid things at those ages and even much older than that.

Add in making more money somewhere else they’d kinda be crazy not to do it. Any snap of football could easily your last. Nobody cares about or looks out for the players so each player needs to look out for their self. Go get the bread while you can.
Verse and chapter?
By Tnobes
JK37 wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:07 pm
Tnobes wrote: January 8th, 2023, 8:13 pm

You missed the entire point of the article. But I’m not surprised.

And the point you tried to make, is also false. The prospective student-athletes aren’t required to know the rules, and rarely do. It’s the ADULTS in the situation that screwed the kids. Thankfully, there’s less opportunity for them to do so now due to deregulation and NIL.

The point of the article - which you blew right past - is that NCAA sports was the only place in our capitalist society that treated the pursuit of wealth through performance in this way. So to your point - thank you! - the kids did what they knew to do: take the money. It is natural and legal to literally EVERYONE else. Why couldn’t they?
Because it was against the rules and they are amateur athletes, it's not professional business. They knew that going in to it. People like terrelle Pryor and Reggie Bush were and are scumbags
By Tnobes
JK37 wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:13 pm
Ill flame wrote: January 8th, 2023, 9:01 pm I don't know how Liberty does it but scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years at the P5 level until the moment they put their name in the portal.
In the sense that an institution - and not just P5’s - is supposed to have clear reason to non-renew the offer each year, and the legal reasons are few, the regs are there for this to be the case - in theory. But the regs are so easy to get around that every school does it. And it starts with the fact that the student-athlete has to sign a renewal offer each year. So they are not, legally, four-year deals. And schools bend the reasons to non-renew to their will whenever they want. For example, poor performance is not a legal to non-renew someone’s scholarship. So, the school/coach just finds another reason.
Except that they don't. And if they did it would still be a terrible reason to say to kids to look out for themselves, they should do what is right no matter what anyone around them is doing, the whole system could be screwing them and you stand in the middle and do what is right, which is honoring your word no matter the cost. The "gotta get mine" is so anti Christ
By Risewithus
Just throwing this out there for discussion, but do you also feel it is terrible for the schools to look out for themselves? They too should also do what is right no matter what the kids are doing also right? If you feel that way then fair enough. However if you only believe this from the kids point of view then I have to respectfully disagree.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Risewithus wrote: January 9th, 2023, 5:01 pm Just throwing this out there for discussion, but do you also feel it is terrible for the schools to look out for themselves? They too should also do what is right no matter what the kids are doing also right? If you feel that way then fair enough. However if you only believe this from the kids point of view then I have to respectfully disagree.
Kid is on a Sportsball scholarship
Kid gets married
Kid no longer wants to play Sportsball
Should the kid still get his Scholarship
Or the kid no longer comes to off season work outs etc.
should the kid get his scholarship?

I imagine we all agree kid blows out a knee playing Sportsball for the University they should renew every year for 4 years or until they get their degree. But there are a lot of other reasons not to
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Yesterday I saw a photo on twitter of Hugh Freeze and some businessman pertaining to an NIL deal or something down on the plains.

Go to school, play your sport, get your degree and move on. That's what college is supposed to be.
Tnobes liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 9th, 2023, 4:06 pm

Verse and chapter?
Nobody take that bait
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 9th, 2023, 5:58 pm
Tnobes wrote: January 9th, 2023, 4:06 pm

Verse and chapter?
Nobody take that bait
I don’t think I even understand enough to take the bait… :dontgetit
By AATL
I would assume this more or less guarantees a redshirt for Blue. I wonder if we'll see Shedro in more of a slot role to replace some of Douglas' snaps. With a healthy Daniels and Fortenberry joining the mix at WR, this offense could be one of the most talented to date.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Man a lot of folks on social media are gonna be eating crow. That young man is owed a ton of apologies by a ton of people after the way he was treated when he announced he was entering the Portal. Sad but Typical Liberty
ballah09, AATL, flamehunter liked this

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]