Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Tnobes
flamehunter wrote: January 7th, 2024, 7:22 pm
Tnobes wrote: January 7th, 2024, 6:41 pm
JK37 wrote: January 5th, 2024, 10:15 pm

@Tnobes be losing his $hit now! And I’m here for it!! :shock:

Cmon, @Tnobes how you gonna square this circle? :lol:
I'm not losing anything. I Don't see how this changes anything, if you get a DUI and then go through AA, you still have that DUI, that fact doesn't change. The things you do in life don't get erased
The Gospel of Jesus Christ says otherwise.
The gospel of Jesus Christ says no such thing, you still have consequences on earth, you are forgiven for eternity but you still deal with consequences in the present life
By Tnobes
Purple Haize wrote: January 7th, 2024, 8:43 pm
thepostman wrote: January 7th, 2024, 6:44 pm Transferring to another school shouldn't be compared to a DUI. One is trying to find the best fit fo you as a student athlete, the other is literally putting others in danger.

You are not a serious person.
Fortunately you can get a DUI expunged from your record!

https://www.tkevinwilsonlawyer.com/libr ... onvictions.
From your record, not from memory and it doesn't make it so it never happened, it expunges it legally, it's not a time machine that erases history
By Tnobes
flameshaw wrote: January 7th, 2024, 9:39 pm Tnobes, maybe you should consider a message board called The Fighting Fundamenatist Forum. I believe you would fit in there very nicely. Heck, even one of the crazy LU Bored members slinks by there every now and then. They don't even erase things over there either, as far as I know.
This is a place to discuss sports, not KJVO, DUI with grape juice or real wine and other nonsense. :roll: :roll:
I'm not a fundamentalist by any stretch of the imagination, (I'm actually evangelical free church) I've never been in a fundamentalist church, I'm not King James only, I don't give a darn how anyone does communion or baptism or what you believe about the end times. I'm not the one who ever brought up religion to begin with. I simply said loyalty and commitment are traits to be held in life, your word is your bond and you don't ever break it for anything. Haize is the one who brings up religion. Now let it go and get back to football because you people like to separate the two so get back to sports. Kaidon back doesn't change my opinion of him he showed who he is. You are free to feel anyway you want about it, that's the beauty of a message board, opinions are like..... Everyone's got one
By Tnobes
thepostman wrote: January 7th, 2024, 11:33 pm You compared transferring schools to driving drunk.
True. It's a character issue. We disagree on that, but I see it as a character issue, you don't. We disagree and that's fine.
By Tnobes
Purple Haize wrote: January 7th, 2024, 11:40 pm
thepostman wrote: January 7th, 2024, 11:33 pm You compared transferring schools to driving drunk.
And divorce
Again, true. I view it as the same, I view it as not Keeping your word, whether it's divorce, saying you are going to play your career somewhere or saying you are going to show up at something and then you don't show up, all equal in my eyes. It's commitment and broken commitment, you view them as different levels,I view it all the same. I don't care if you agree or not. Who you are in the small things is who you are in the big things in my view.
By Tnobes
It's not a 1 year commitment, they are called 4 year colleges. Literally up until 5 minutes ago (figuratively) you had players on teams that were on the same team for their entire career, they even waited their turn to start and put in their time. You can say "times change" but that doesn't make it morally right. We are never going to agree on this. I'll cheer for the guys who want to be here and make commitments to be here, you can cheer for whoever you want
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 7th, 2024, 11:54 pm I view it as not Keeping your word…saying you are going to play your career somewhere
These are not career-long decisions. You are the only person inferring that. Nobody involved - not the athletes, not the coaches, not the institutions - assumes they are for a career. They are year-to-year commitments at best. Why can’t you see that?

We are trying to help you understand that this is not what is said, nor ever understood between today’s student-athletes, coaches and institutions of higher education.

In the not-too-distant past, student-athletes accepted scholarship offers that were one-year offers. Putting a four-year offer in writing was actually against the rules. Those scholarship offers had to be renewed annually, and more often than you think they were not. Additionally, coaches for whom the student-athlete chose to play could leave a school with little to no penalty to their coaching career whatsoever, while student-athletes were forced by rule to put their playing career on hold for at least a year in residence if they transferred to another school. Furthermore, a student-athlete was not permitted to benefit in any way from using their name, image or likeness. All this added up to what was legally closest to indentured servitude.

Years ago, student-athletes received the freedom to do most of these things. And while they now have the freedom to change attendance and competition to a different institution, of course that means sometimes they make bad decisions. Thank goodness they are free to make bad decisions and are also free from abuse by the institutions. It’s the same freedom that allows you and me to say dumb things on a message board.

Opinions are as you say. But you only have the right to keep an opinion if you can defend it.

To compare the decisions of 19-22 year old men and women about where they will attend college and where they will compete athletically, to the decision one makes to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or the choice of a married person to commit adultery, is asinine. You should be ashamed. You owe an apology to anyone affected by alcohol abuse (me) or marital infidelity (also me). But I won’t hold my breath waiting.
Last edited by JK37 on January 8th, 2024, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cider Jim, Purple Haize liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 8th, 2024, 12:41 am It's not a 1 year commitment, they are called 4 year colleges. Literally up until 5 minutes ago (figuratively) you had players on teams that were on the same team for their entire career, they even waited their turn to start and put in their time. You can say "times change" but that doesn't make it morally right. We are never going to agree on this. I'll cheer for the guys who want to be here and make commitments to be here, you can cheer for whoever you want
Of course those examples existed, and they still do. But they were never legally a four-year commitment. And coaches and institutions abused the power. Now it’s more balanced because the student-athletes were being abused by the imbalance. Some will make poor decisions, and you can choose to not root for them whenever they transfer. But I guess that means you can’t root for any athlete who transfers to a program of your choice, not a coach who accepts them. How do you square that?
Purple Haize liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
@Tnobes has sufficiently explained why he thinks entering the transfer portal is a moral issue. And others have explained why they think it is not. We are probably at an agree-to-disagree impasse. Maybe sometimes it is, and sometimes it’s not. More of a case by case thing. I’d be able to agree with that.

I was thinking this during my morning devotions: people make a lot of decisions over the course of their lives. And people change their minds often. @Tnobes, I’m sure you’re not advocating that every decision is iron clad, and I don’t presume you’ve never changed your mind about something. One of God’s great blessings is free will.

I believe the issue is Expectations. Of course if one expects a commitment to last for a set period, and the other breaks that commitment before the expiration of that period, the one will be disappointed.

People change their minds for all kinds of good reasons. And of course many times, these young people are changing theirs for less than good ones. But not always. And we have an obligation to still care for and show love to others, because we have a responsibility to show Christ in all we do. And all parents can confirm, sometimes showing love to another means telling them what they don’t want to hear.

Some student-athletes choose to change where they attend college in the middle of their career for very good reasons. If memory serves, didn’t Rashad Jennings choose to leave the University of Pittsburgh for Liberty University due to his father’s failing health and a desire to be closer to his family during that time? I’m sure, @Tnobes, even you would agree that for everything there is a season. Sometimes God closes the season for attending a certain college before four years have expired. Far be it from us to judge what God has decided to change.

We fanatics of a particular school or sports team have no right to vilify those young men or women who choose to exercise their God-given free will concerning where they attend college and for whom they play. Some are right, some not. God will judge. And the wrong will likely learn the hard way the error of their decisions, like we all do.

Even God changes His mind. The Bible tells us so. Scripture also compares our relationship with Christ to the bride and bridegroom. To equate every decision we humans make to the analogy of marriage Scripture uses to describe Christ, is false and quite dangerous.
flamehunter, thepostman liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 7th, 2024, 11:54 pm
And divorce
Again, true. I view it as the same, I view it as not Keeping your word, whether it's divorce, saying you are going to play your career somewhere or saying you are going to show up at something and then you don't show up, all equal in my eyes. It's commitment and broken commitment, you view them as different levels,I view it all the same. I don't care if you agree or not. Who you are in the small things is who you are in the big things in my view.
Scholarships are a 1 year deal. Leaving after that one year or not having it renewed after that year is not breaking your word.
I’m a big fan of loyalty and keeping your word. I’m a bigger fan of knowing the actual facts of a situation before you try to argue it. You have repeatedly shown you do not know the facts and have repeatedly rebuffed attempts by those who are knowledgeable to inform you of the facts.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
If the argument was about students opting out BEFORE a bowl game, I could understand it a lot more. I personally understand why student athletes do it but I'm not a huge fan either. But after that? You've fullfilled your 1 season commitment. The coaching staff is going to evaluate on a yearly basis, I see nothing wrong with players doing the same. For far too long the schools have held all of the power and things are now finally starting to even out.
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 8th, 2024, 10:28 am If the argument was about students opting out BEFORE a bowl game, I could understand it a lot more. I personally understand why student athletes do it but I'm not a huge fan either. But after that? You've fullfilled your 1 season commitment. The coaching staff is going to evaluate on a yearly basis, I see nothing wrong with players doing the same. For far too long the schools have held all of the power and things are now finally starting to even out.
We’ve had several instances here at LU where players scholarships were not renewed at the end of the Season. This isn’t like a marriage. At least I’ve never seen marriage vows on a year to year basis. Maybe I’m old fashioned that way. I wish players would play in their Bowl games. But I too understand why they’d choose to pursue their professional career, like any other student, instead
By Tnobes
Purple Haize wrote: January 8th, 2024, 10:02 am

And divorce
Scholarships are a 1 year deal. Leaving after that one year or not having it renewed after that year is not breaking your word.
I’m a big fan of loyalty and keeping your word. I’m a bigger fan of knowing the actual facts of a situation before you try to argue it. You have repeatedly shown you do not know the facts and have repeatedly rebuffed attempts by those who are knowledgeable to inform you of the facts.
Cool, so mack Brown recruited Vince Young to play one year and then cut him? that was his intention from the beginning? Strange, I think you would want someone to lock down the starting job for a couple of seasons for a little consistency. Weird
By Tnobes
JK37 wrote: January 8th, 2024, 12:45 am
Tnobes wrote: January 7th, 2024, 11:54 pm I view it as not Keeping your word…saying you are going to play your career somewhere
These are not career-long decisions. You are the only person inferring that. Nobody involved - not the athletes, not the coaches, not the institutions - assumes they are for a career. They are year-to-year commitments at best. Why can’t you see that?

We are trying to help you understand that this is not what is said, nor ever understood between today’s student-athletes, coaches and institutions of higher education.

In the not-too-distant past, student-athletes accepted scholarship offers that were one-year offers. Putting a four-year offer in writing was actually against the rules. Those scholarship offers had to be renewed annually, and more often than you think they were not. Additionally, coaches for whom the student-athlete chose to play could leave a school with little to no penalty to their coaching career whatsoever, while student-athletes were forced by rule to put their playing career on hold for at least a year in residence if they transferred to another school. Furthermore, a student-athlete was not permitted to benefit in any way from using their name, image or likeness. All this added up to what was legally closest to indentured servitude.

Years ago, student-athletes received the freedom to do most of these things. And while they now have the freedom to change attendance and competition to a different institution, of course that means sometimes they make bad decisions. Thank goodness they are free to make bad decisions and are also free from abuse by the institutions. It’s the same freedom that allows you and me to say dumb things on a message board.

Opinions are as you say. But you only have the right to keep an opinion if you can defend it.

To compare the decisions of 19-22 year old men and women about where they will attend college and where they will compete athletically, to the decision one makes to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or the choice of a married person to commit adultery, is asinine. You should be ashamed. You owe an apology to anyone affected by alcohol abuse (me) or marital infidelity (also me). But I won’t hold my breath waiting.
So transferring is not like a DUI but college football is like slavery? I'll apologize to drunks when you apologize to slaves
By jmclaughlin
What's the gut feeling on CJ?
My gut is that he and KSalt were a packaged deal. When KS made a quick about face, CJ was busy enjoying the love from other schools. Kick the tires on some other offers but he is back to finish on the mountain next season. No harm in living it up on some other folks dime (my opinion only) during Christmas Break.
Dalegarz1, thepostman liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 8th, 2024, 11:15 am
Purple Haize wrote: January 8th, 2024, 10:02 am

Cool, so mack Brown recruited Vince Young to play one year and then cut him? that was his intention from the beginning? Strange, I think you would want someone to lock down the starting job for a couple of seasons for a little consistency. Weird
Vince young was on a 1 year scholarship. Just like every other scholarship player on that team. That seems to be the fact you cannot accept. Coaches always try to recruit players equal to or better than what they currently have on the roster That is another fact you cannot seem to accept.
Generally the expectation is that scholarships will be renewed. But that is not always the case. Every coach who recruits a player to their program has the expectation that things will work out. Some recruit (especially in basketball) knowing that the player will only be around for a year. In football some coaches know the player will on,y be around 2-3 years.
Once you acknowledge facts having a discussion is a lot easier
Last edited by Purple Haize on January 8th, 2024, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix, thepostman liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jmclaughlin wrote: January 8th, 2024, 11:58 am What's the gut feeling on CJ?
My gut is that he and KSalt were a packaged deal. When KS made a quick about face, CJ was busy enjoying the love from other schools. Kick the tires on some other offers but he is back to finish on the mountain next season. No harm in living it up on some other folks dime (my opinion only) during Christmas Break.
Sometimes it’s good to see what’s out there. People do it in their every day jobs all the time.
thepostman liked this
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]