Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUOrange
ballah09 wrote: January 4th, 2023, 8:30 pm Megs and Rocket are both grad transfers so I’m not surprised that they’re using their final year at a p5 school. Hunter has his legal issues and Walker left because of Freeze. The others weren’t big losses. It was big getting Sings back. He should be Johnson’s replacement.

Speaking of Freeze, Dae Dae is rumored to be following him to Auburn.
I thought Megginson was joining Vic Hall at Ball State? I, also wouldn't be surprised to see Rocket land at Auburn.
By YaySports
A couple of my perspectives on the transfer portal...and I appreciate any corrections to my misconceptions.

1. Players that put their names into the portal, no longer have their scholarships to their current school. The current school can opt to take them back and grant the scholarship, but are not obligated to do so should the player desire to return.

2. While players may transfer more than once, they could incur a situation where they have to sit a year. This is more-so true when transferring to a 4-year institution for a second time in a row.
**ie. A player transfers from Hawaii to Liberty (first transfer = immediately eligible) then transfers to Auburn (second transfer to a 4-year institution in a row = must sit a year).
****Of course, there can be an exception to this rule. If the player graduated from their current institution, they are immediately eligible. Also, since this is the NCAA and rules sometimes apply, the player can request a hardship waiver and be granted immediate eligibility.

Thoughts? Corrections?
By Tnobes
LUOrange wrote: January 4th, 2023, 9:01 pm
ballah09 wrote: January 4th, 2023, 8:30 pm Megs and Rocket are both grad transfers so I’m not surprised that they’re using their final year at a p5 school. Hunter has his legal issues and Walker left because of Freeze. The others weren’t big losses. It was big getting Sings back. He should be Johnson’s replacement.

Speaking of Freeze, Dae Dae is rumored to be following him to Auburn.
I thought Megginson was joining Vic Hall at Ball State? I, also wouldn't be surprised to see Rocket land at Auburn.
Land at Auburn buried on the depth chart
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
YaySports wrote: January 4th, 2023, 10:06 pm A couple of my perspectives on the transfer portal...and I appreciate any corrections to my misconceptions.

1. Players that put their names into the portal, no longer have their scholarships to their current school. The current school can opt to take them back and grant the scholarship, but are not obligated to do so should the player desire to return.

2. While players may transfer more than once, they could incur a situation where they have to sit a year. This is more-so true when transferring to a 4-year institution for a second time in a row.
**ie. A player transfers from Hawaii to Liberty (first transfer = immediately eligible) then transfers to Auburn (second transfer to a 4-year institution in a row = must sit a year).
****Of course, there can be an exception to this rule. If the player graduated from their current institution, they are immediately eligible. Also, since this is the NCAA and rules sometimes apply, the player can request a hardship waiver and be granted immediate eligibility.

Thoughts? Corrections?
It depends on the Sport. Then you have Grad transfers etc. plus the COVID year. It’s craziness. So as convoluted as your last paragraph is, it is correct. :D
YaySports liked this
By AATL
I think Stricker will have his choice of destinations for his graduate degree. It was nice to hardly worry about kickoff returns this year with him producing 44 touchbacks. Of note, Missouri (former home of Kyle Krantz) led the country in yards per kickoff return with less than 14(!) per return.
Not on his twitter nor is he in the portal on 247. Obviously, this doesn't mean that he hasn't entered the transfer portal but it also doesn't mean that he has. Bigger schools are reaching out and offering more money to kids. This is free agency at its finest within college sports.

If in fact Mike Smith does enter the portal, then yes it is a big loss on our defense but it doesn't equal a wash season next year. Lastly, if a guy wants to go somewhere else for more money then please go and enjoy the potential spoils. Chadwell is great at building a culture where guys want to stay and I am super excited for next season.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
This hurts. I really didn’t expect him to transfer but I guess seeing everyone else get ACC, Big 10, Big 12 offers was just too tempting to not enter.

Hopefully JC can find replacements in the portal.
By cruzan_flame13
Risewithus wrote: January 6th, 2023, 10:39 pm I’m sure he already was contacted prior to entering or he would not have. New college football. Flat out free agency going forward.
The new college football does not benefit G5's in the long run. Great players from these teams will continuously receive contact from schools who are not afraid to spend money to get what they want. How many athletes from 18-25(since some players had an extra year or so because of c-19) will kot take this deal? At least 95% would do it. Any G5 couch with great recruiting and growing programs will constantly have to deal with this issue. UTSA knows about this and we're seeing it here. Even P5schools are having this issue that some coaches have come out to talk about it. If we want to grow and even become P5 in the future as Dr. JF had hoped for in his vision for the school, then we will have to play ball and do the same. The techniques of the past will not be helpful now that NIL is in the picture and there's clearly no control of it. To be honest, how could this be controlled when there's boosters all around the country that will do anything to make their school's program relevant? This is what we should be focused on now before it's too late. Are we going to be a program where we build athletes who will likely leave once better opportunities come their way or do we step up our NIL initiatives where we have money to make athletes interested in staying and coming to our school (along with the other gimmicks that is needed)?
Risewithus, Baybird liked this
By Ill flame
ballah09 wrote: January 7th, 2023, 1:58 am What’s interesting is that On3 is predicting Megs and Rocket to SMU joining Walker. SMU must be paying good if that happens.
No other G5 can compete with SMU in NIL. They are outspending a lot of P5s in that area which shouldn't suprise anyone given their history. I hope they end up going to the pac 12.
Purple Haize liked this
By Baybird
I think this is an interesting perspective from Ari Wasserman in an article written yesterday regarding the allegations against Harbaugh:

"The biggest con in the history of sports was the amateurism model. But more than that, it was how we were brainwashed to react to these types of infractions. We were conditioned to think that anyone who broke an NCAA rule — regardless of the reason or how ridiculous the rule was — was a terrible person. The NCAA criminalized activities that are second nature in a country programmed to pursue wealth."

https://theathletic.com/4063296/2023/01 ... m-tressel/
cruzan_flame13, JK37 liked this
By Ill flame
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 7th, 2023, 12:00 am
Risewithus wrote: January 6th, 2023, 10:39 pm I’m sure he already was contacted prior to entering or he would not have. New college football. Flat out free agency going forward.
The new college football does not benefit G5's in the long run. Great players from these teams will continuously receive contact from schools who are not afraid to spend money to get what they want. How many athletes from 18-25(since some players had an extra year or so because of c-19) will kot take this deal? At least 95% would do it. Any G5 couch with great recruiting and growing programs will constantly have to deal with this issue. UTSA knows about this and we're seeing it here. Even P5schools are having this issue that some coaches have come out to talk about it. If we want to grow and even become P5 in the future as Dr. JF had hoped for in his vision for the school, then we will have to play ball and do the same. The techniques of the past will not be helpful now that NIL is in the picture and there's clearly no control of it. To be honest, how could this be controlled when there's boosters all around the country that will do anything to make their school's program relevant? This is what we should be focused on now before it's too late. Are we going to be a program where we build athletes who will likely leave once better opportunities come their way or do we step up our NIL initiatives where we have money to make athletes interested in staying and coming to our school (along with the other gimmicks that is needed)?
Its frustrating watching our better players leave for greener pastures but I don't believe the sky is falling by any means for a couple reasons. One, we want to eventually reach P5 but we aren't there which means we aren't really competing against them. I actually feel worse for the bottom tier P5s that have players transfer to in conference blue bloods that immediately get used against them. C-USA is our competition and they are in no better shape than we are in this area. If this new NIL collective is able to help us retain our talent better than anyone else in C-USA we will be right where we need to be.

Secondly recruiting is a zero sum game, P5s still get the same 85 scholarships as before. For every Dae Dae Hunter that P5s take from G5s there is a James Jointer that is a P5 level talent but gets pushed out for various reasons. We also get to do the same to FCS schools now and steal their FCS All-Americans while pushing out our under performing players that FCS schools would love to have. We have a ton of open scholarships where we can go out and get impact transfers that either couldn't find playing time at P5s or are looking to move up to a more competitive school. Once this round of musical chair ends in the summer, i feel pretty confident we will have the talent in place to win the conference next year even if there will be a lot of growing pains along the way.
By YaySports
[/quote]
Its frustrating watching our better players leave for greener pastures but I don't believe the sky is falling by any means for a couple reasons. One, we want to eventually reach P5 but we aren't there which means we aren't really competing against them. I actually feel worse for the bottom tier P5s that have players transfer to in conference blue bloods that immediately get used against them. C-USA is our competition and they are in no better shape than we are in this area. If this new NIL collective is able to help us retain our talent better than anyone else in C-USA we will be right where we need to be.

Secondly recruiting is a zero sum game, P5s still get the same 85 scholarships as before. For every Dae Dae Hunter that P5s take from G5s there is a James Jointer that is a P5 level talent but gets pushed out for various reasons. We also get to do the same to FCS schools now and steal their FCS All-Americans while pushing out our under performing players that FCS schools would love to have. We have a ton of open scholarships where we can go out and get impact transfers that either couldn't find playing time at P5s or are looking to move up to a more competitive school. Once this round of musical chair ends in the summer, i feel pretty confident we will have the talent in place to win the conference next year even if there will be a lot of growing pains along the way.
[/quote]

I appreciate this take! I, for one, want everything to fall in line right away and would like LU to be in line with P5's. I am also a UVa fan and season ticket holder, which is a P5, but not on the level of what I would like. Patience is not my virtue, so I thank you for bringing me back down to earth.

LU will lose great players who think the grass is greener elsewhere. They also will gain players to The Mountain who we will watch become great. I have confidence in HCJC and what he will build. I also believe he will build for now AND the future as LU is not a stepping stone in his frontal cortex; though he may not stay forever, he did not come looking to leave. Only time will tell if this is true, but I certainly hope so.

Side note - Season tickets at two institutions means no Saturdays at home during football, but it makes for great Saturdays!
Ill flame liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 7th, 2023, 5:31 pm I should pony up based on that express-ion.
Dad jokes are automatically a disqualifying infraction
JK37 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I hope every player who leaves, never starts a game in college football again. Portal is ruining NCAA sports.
I read today about some player who transfered from Auburn to UNC. After starting 2 seasons for Tar Heels, he decided to transfer to UVA. N
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 7th, 2023, 6:36 pm I hope every player who leaves, never starts a game in college football again. Portal is ruining NCAA sports.
I read today about some player who transfered from Auburn to UNC. After starting 2 seasons for Tar Heels, he decided to transfer to UVA. N
Does that hope also include players who transferred out of another school to come to LU?
YaySports, Liberty22, jmclaughlin and 2 others liked this
By Tnobes
Agreed. You commit to a school and transfer it shows a lack of foresight. Did you not do your research before you signed? Nobody forced you to sign, immature kids signing to schools before thinking ahead.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]