Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: December 14th, 2023, 6:39 pm I'm just saying, I'm not sure Doc had any idea the top level would turn into a pro league. I'm not saying it's still not a great place to be champions for Christ. Just saying Docs vision AND college football are at a critical cross road.
Are they though?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Dr. Falwell's vision was to complete at the highest level, someday, beating Notre Dame in Lynchburg.

We've got to "run with the big dogs, we can't stay on the porch"

Whatever it takes, the football program needs to continue growing.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 14th, 2023, 8:08 pm Dr. Falwell's vision was to complete at the highest level, someday, beating Notre Dame in Lynchburg.

We've got to "run with the big dogs, we can't stay on the porch"

Whatever it takes, the football program needs to continue growing.
Will be interesting to see what ND does.
By Ill flame
We are talking about the vision of a man that wanted to be on the same level as two schools that had recent championships, 60k+ attendance, every game on national TV (in the case of ND) and national fanbases. He didn't just want to beat those schools or settle for being a decent D1 program, he wanted to win national championships. Of course he knew a lot of money would have to be spent to get there.

Fortunately this school is in a position where they are spending more than any other G5, constantly building new projects across campus and is still PROFITING more than $100 million a year with a very small fraction of that money being donations. There's no reason to change the course now unless its to double down on the schools growth.
Liberty22 liked this
By tyndal23
A Sea of Red wrote: December 14th, 2023, 11:11 am
tyndal23 wrote: December 14th, 2023, 12:36 am Rather than a no tax benefit NIL - donate to Liberty ( with a designator towards sports ) and get the best of both worlds in tax write off “donations” designated to NIL and Institutional $.
Just wanted to clarify that Liberty's NIL Collective - Flames Rising - is a 501c3 and donations can be tax deductible.
Don’t buy your vacation home just yet guys, let the dust settle - hope you come out as top NIL for LU.
flameshaw wrote: December 14th, 2023, 1:54 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: December 14th, 2023, 12:05 pm Here is an honest question regarding NIL donations for Christians. How is NIL giving affecting the tithe? How is NIL giving affecting personal giving to missions?

I'm not against giving to NIL for the benefit of these players. Honestly, if our players produced sports cards and it benefitted their NIL then I would buy some or T-shirts. Yet, as Christians, I do believe we need to prayerfully consider what affects giving to NIL or any other kind of non-profit will have on our giving to the church & missions. Both of those are to be priorities over things like NIL or other types of non-profits.

Just wanted to share some thoughts from conversations I've had with other LU alums.

Keep up the great work ASOR, you guys continue to provide so many avenues for us to enjoy being fans!
Really??????????????????? Do you happen to be a pastor, church worker, or missionary? Asking for a friend.
flameshaw, yes I am a pastor out in Butte, MT. I simply wanted to ask a genuine question that I and another LU alum who is not a pastor were discussing. Trust me, I am so excited about the rise of our football program and I very rarely miss a football game on TV but I do believe that every Christian should prayerfully consider the question nonetheless.
Tnobes liked this
By Tnobes
I don't think Salter, CJ Daniels or Cooley transfer, Salter and CJ seem to really believe in the schools mission and value where it came from and where it is today and they value being apart of that. Cooley had a terrific year in this offense and can be a top rusher in this offense again next year, there are guys who are going to use Liberty as a stepping stone, these guys aren't one of them. I don't think we lose any more secondary players either, they seem solid.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: December 14th, 2023, 10:55 pm
flameshaw wrote: December 14th, 2023, 1:54 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: December 14th, 2023, 12:05 pm Here is an honest question regarding NIL donations for Christians. How is NIL giving affecting the tithe? How is NIL giving affecting personal giving to missions?

I'm not against giving to NIL for the benefit of these players. Honestly, if our players produced sports cards and it benefitted their NIL then I would buy some or T-shirts. Yet, as Christians, I do believe we need to prayerfully consider what affects giving to NIL or any other kind of non-profit will have on our giving to the church & missions. Both of those are to be priorities over things like NIL or other types of non-profits.

Just wanted to share some thoughts from conversations I've had with other LU alums.

Keep up the great work ASOR, you guys continue to provide so many avenues for us to enjoy being fans!
Really??????????????????? Do you happen to be a pastor, church worker, or missionary? Asking for a friend.
flameshaw, yes I am a pastor out in Butte, MT. I simply wanted to ask a genuine question that I and another LU alum who is not a pastor were discussing. Trust me, I am so excited about the rise of our football program and I very rarely miss a football game on TV but I do believe that every Christian should prayerfully consider the question nonetheless.
What question? Should they donate to LU Athletics? I’d be surprised if anyone one is siphoning off their tithe to their local church to join the Flames Club.
Maybe I messed up and didn't communicate clearly, which is my bad. My only purpose was to shed light on a conversation about how much should one give to support LU's NIL and whether giving to that shrinks one's tithe & financial contribution to missions. For Christians, it should be at least a conversation to have and think through Biblically.

For transparency's sake, at this point in my life I could not justify giving to LU NIL for it would affect how I give to Christ's church & missions.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Could giving to LU’s NIL be considered giving to a ministry? Not that it should lessen one’s tithing, but could it be considered another form of grace giving alongside tithing, donations to charities, donations to missions work, etc.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: December 15th, 2023, 2:09 am Maybe I messed up and didn't communicate clearly, which is my bad. My only purpose was to shed light on a conversation about how much should one give to support LU's NIL and whether giving to that shrinks one's tithe & financial contribution to missions. For Christians, it should be at least a conversation to have and think through Biblically.

For transparency's sake, at this point in my life I could not justify giving to LU NIL for it would affect how I give to Christ's church & missions.
I think there is a distinction between Tithe and Support If someone is cutting back their tithe to their church and giving it to LU NIL that I would take issue with. If someone wants to give money to LU’s NIL I see no problem with that. If you believe that part of the mission of the school is to have a top tier football program then give The money isn’t going to make itself appear. I guess I don’t understand the dilemma. I have no problem paying my Flames Club membership and buying season tickets. Outside of that I’m probably like you in that I’d rather give my money to people I know and interact with. But I don’t begrudge or judge the Art Williams of the world who donate millions.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Dear Lord, how did we get into this discussion on this thread?

I've seen a few posts around X talking about Salter getting offered NIL deals from some big schools, in particular Ohio St. No clue if any of it's true, but clearly Coach Willy Korn is peeved about something pertaining to roster poaching because he stated as such.

Part of me wants to believe that Salter sees the benefits of having tapped into Chadwell and Korn's offense and coaching philosophy, and because of that he won't leave. However, if someone comes running at you with $1M+ to come play for them for one year and gain all the additional exposure, much less potentially being able to throw to Marvin Harrison Jr. if he returns... I don't know anymore at that point.

Other targets are for sure going to be CJ Daniels, Cooley and someone on defense like a Brylan Greene or maybe Kobe Singleton. Money talks, and there's a lot being thrown around these days from high-dollar donors around the P5s.
AATL liked this
By AATL
JK37 wrote:I’d be surprised if Marvin Harrison returns. But your other points are completely valid.
It was posted on the internet caveats apply, but the rumored dollar figures being thrown around by OSU insiders for Marvin Harrison are pretty wild.
By jmclaughlin
There is a lot of activity...will just leave it at that. Big Poachers with Big Guns are all around this LU program.
Hard to be mad at "kids" for taking a look at shinny objects.
By Ill flame
Ohio state consistently has some of the most talented receivers in the country so it really doesn't matter if he returns or not. Their 5th string receiver would dominate at Liberty. Hard to blame anyone if they wanted to take a lot of money to play in front of 100k+ fans on broadcast TV every week. Especially considering the supporting cast at Ohio state is so good that he would have all day to throw and multiple open receivers on nearly every play against all but 2-3 opponents. The portal is frustrating but we wouldn't be where we are without it.
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I think the ruling that multiple transfers no longer carry a penalty of having to sit out a year, makes this more difficult for us. Right now, it seems like the cards are stacked against us. If the new model that allows teams to pay players comes to fruition, then I think we absolutely gain ground back. However, as of now, with the lack of a truly dedicated alumni/fanbase that the big dogs possess, I think it's harder for us and all G5s.
By Tnobes
You transfer to Ohio State and your production goes down and your draft stock goes down, Ohio State is a boring offense and the big 10 has better defenses. it's better for salter to keep putting up video game numbers and highlights in this offense and bring liberty to the college football playoff next year, that's a better resume than a rent a QB at Ohio State and he will still get drafted because QBs from smaller schools make it in the league, you don't need a helmet school as a QB
By AATL
Humble_Opinion wrote: December 15th, 2023, 12:02 pm I think the ruling that multiple transfers no longer carry a penalty of having to sit out a year, makes this more difficult for us. Right now, it seems like the cards are stacked against us. If the new model that allows teams to pay players comes to fruition, then I think we absolutely gain ground back. However, as of now, with the lack of a truly dedicated alumni/fanbase that the big dogs possess, I think it's harder for us and all G5s.
For what it's worth, the NCAA is still playing chicken with the players in the face of the TRO: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... n-reversed

Essentially, they're threatening to charge them with a year of eligibility if the player transfers under the TRO and then the NCAA ultimately wins the case.

Still, given the NCAA's recent track record in court, the TRO ruling (which, in cases like this, requires the plaintiff to establish that they have a legitimate chance of winning the case) and general, you know... *gestures towards the NCAA in general*... it's likely an uphill battle for them to win this.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I would think if Kaiden has a huge game and can keep his team in it until the end, then they’ll be immediate draft speculation. But even with that, staying has upside.
By Tnobes
I think Cooley stays also, knowing he can have another monster year next year, but if not James Jointer won't miss a beat as the power back. I think having the prolific offensive statistics that we had helps the stars stay, you aren't thinking you are a good player on a bad team, you are thinking you are a star player on a great team that is rising fast and can run it back next year in the CFP playoffs
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
You could be right. And if you do run it back, what has been gained? If you go to a bigger program and ball out there, draft stock goes up.

Everybody knows KS can dominate at this level in this offense. If he stays and does it again….so what? If he goes and dominates in the Big Ten, stock goes up?

I hope everyone stays. But I can’t fault them for improving themselves by going.
By Ill flame
paradox wrote: December 16th, 2023, 11:43 am I would think if Kaiden has a huge game and can keep his team in it until the end, then they’ll be immediate draft speculation. But even with that, staying has upside.
Whether he stays or transfers it would be best for him to stay in college another year and develop more. A 60% completion percentage is solid in college but would be among the worst in the league in the NFL. I would say that's his biggest weakness at the moment.
Here is the interesting thing that I have seen Colton Korn continue to post on social media. The amount of G5 transfers to P5 that get drafted or even start is less than 37%. It is simply the money and it is not guaranteed money. We had a few guys last year get promised this and that and when the dust settled the coaches didn't follow through.

This is the era of college football that we are living in. I like the fact that players can get paid for their image & likeness but a system without accountability or regulations will crumble.

Malik proved you can get noticed at LU and get drafted. Malik also proved that your stock can soar at a G5 school compared to a P5.
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be betwee[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]