Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By lueer
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: December 21st, 2022, 12:19 am NCAA needs to rethink when coaches can negotiate with a new team. If what occurred this season is what we have to look forward to I'll find something else to do. I'm sure Coastal fans feel the same way.
That is a problem but far from the worst thing going on right now. NIL and the portal are ruining college sports all together.
Freeze totally disregarded his players and LU in the transition. Those seniors are the main reason he’s at auburn now. Last three games he was unfocused. Then took half the on field coaching staff before the bowl game. None of the LU to Auburn hires were even coordinators.

Jamey Chadwell didn’t take half of Coastal’s staff. Seems like an upgrade in how he shows gratitude.
jinxy, LU 57, ballcoach15 liked this
If only LU had a QB who could manufacture and sustain drives to give the defense a rest. Golly, did LU have anyone like that?

Thankfully JB got in for those crucial 8 seconds. No telling how bad the beat down would have been otherwise
By rtb72
Whew...a lot to unpack. We were two rows off the sideline, and I was amazed at the emotional changes I saw, that I generally don't see and hear at Williams Stadium. Offense was down and out with little motivation. Defense was hyped up as much as they could be considering they were exhausted. Kudos to JB and Dae Dae....those two guys are straight up leaders. Make no mistake, they have the character and gravitas to lead this team. Dae Dae in particular was up and down the sideline (limping) trying to get the guys up...they just did not embrace it. JB was likewise, trying to motivate the guys. On several occasions...they just seemed to dismiss the attempts from Dae Dae and JB. The tone on O seems very different from that on D, when it come to the sideline. That's just a simple, one game observation from being in ear shot of everything going on in one game. Regardless, these kids have been through a rollercoaster the past 4-5 weeks. I am very optimistic about next year. Dae Dae is going to be a strong player and team leader. Salter has tons of potential, but needs to mature. Our D is going to continue to be strong. Frankly, I think we are far from a sinking ship, and I think we will retain and recruit talent that may very well serve us above expectation in CUSA. Kudos also to fans...they turned out pretty well for this game.

Blue skies in 2023!
flamehunter, AATL, jmclaughlin and 2 others liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 2:25 am Kudos also to fans...they turned out pretty well for this game.
I only watched the game from my living room, and I know it was raining, but from my TV seeing only one half of the stadium, it looked pretty EMPTY.

What was the announced attendance at the game?
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: December 21st, 2022, 5:21 am
rtb72 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 2:25 am Kudos also to fans...they turned out pretty well for this game.
I only watched the game from my living room, and I know it was raining, but from my TV seeing only one half of the stadium, it looked pretty EMPTY.

The box score on ESPN app said it was 20,622 and the stadium was 70% percent full as it holds 29,571…somebody was definitely fudging some numbers somewhere. Unless the weather kept thousands and thousands from coming…
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
To some of you (not you if you have doubt that I'm talking about you). It's a bad look for y'all to be weeping and gnashing teeth.

We were outplayed. You all seem surprised and are acting like the sky is falling. It certainly isn't. We had our coach quit 2/3 of the way through the season and ended up 8-5. That was probably around expectation to start the year, with this schedule and no Malik Willis.

We are in conference USA next year. We just need some stability to right the ship and to get momentum moving forward. Chadwell can bring that. We will be fine.

Stop being dramatic.
flamehunter, jmclaughlin, stokesjokes and 3 others liked this
Kricket wrote: December 21st, 2022, 7:20 am We are in conference USA next year. We just need some stability to right the ship and to get momentum moving forward. Chadwell can bring that. We will be fine.

Stop being dramatic.
Chadwell definitely in the hot seat. Making what he is, you have to deliver. :lol:
rtb72 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 2:25 am Whew...a lot to unpack. We were two rows off the sideline, and I was amazed at the emotional changes I saw, that I generally don't see and hear at Williams Stadium. Offense was down and out with little motivation. Defense was hyped up as much as they could be considering they were exhausted. Kudos to JB and Dae Dae....those two guys are straight up leaders. Make no mistake, they have the character and gravitas to lead this team. Dae Dae in particular was up and down the sideline (limping) trying to get the guys up...they just did not embrace it. JB was likewise, trying to motivate the guys. On several occasions...they just seemed to dismiss the attempts from Dae Dae and JB. The tone on O seems very different from that on D, when it come to the sideline. That's just a simple, one game observation from being in ear shot of everything going on in one game. Regardless, these kids have been through a rollercoaster the past 4-5 weeks. I am very optimistic about next year. Dae Dae is going to be a strong player and team leader. Salter has tons of potential, but needs to mature. Our D is going to continue to be strong. Frankly, I think we are far from a sinking ship, and I think we will retain and recruit talent that may very well serve us above expectation in CUSA. Kudos also to fans...they turned out pretty well for this game.

Blue skies in 2023!
Imagine if that leader were on the field, under center….
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 21st, 2022, 12:42 am If only LU had a QB who could manufacture and sustain drives to give the defense a rest. Golly, did LU have anyone like that?

Thankfully JB got in for those crucial 8 seconds. No telling how bad the beat down would have been otherwise
The lone snap to take the knee is baffling. No other way to see it rude than disrespectful. JB has been nothing but a great teammate by all accounts.

That said, he couldn’t sustain drives without Dae Dae. HF’s dismay at halftime of Arkansas was palpable. Seems he knew before the rest of us just how big a loss that was.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 4:10 pm
Purple Haize wrote: December 21st, 2022, 12:42 am If only LU had a QB who could manufacture and sustain drives to give the defense a rest. Golly, did LU have anyone like that?

The lone snap to take the knee is baffling. No other way to see it rude than disrespectful. JB has been nothing but a great teammate by all accounts.

That said, he couldn’t sustain drives without Dae Dae. HF’s dismay at halftime of Arkansas was palpable. Seems he knew before the rest of us just how big a loss that was.
We also played w/o our starting left tackle yesterday and it showed. The reserve LT got beat badly a number of times, once causing a TO from the blind side, 2 holding calls, and countless QB hurries. On D we played w/o Walker, Dupree, Megginson, and Scruggs went out injured early.

Not scoring from the 3 yard line was the pivotal point in the game..
JK37 wrote: December 21st, 2022, 4:10 pm

He did enough to win the game.

I’m really curious where JBs head is at right now. Cause the team certainly didn’t rally around Salter. As I said before we are finding out why he failed at Tennessee and isn’t making the trip to Auburn
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Considering how many coaches/OCs left and how many players left, am I the only one who is grateful that we played a MAC champion and were within one 2-point conversion of tying the game?

Had we even nailed a FG from the 3 yard line, we would have won the game! :shock:
Cider Jim wrote: December 21st, 2022, 6:28 pm Considering how many coaches/OCs left and how many players left, am I the only one who is grateful that we played a MAC champion and were within one 2-point conversion of tying the game?

Had we even nailed a FG from the 3 yard line, we would have won the game! :shock:
I think it showed how good LU’s defense really was

And how bad the MAC really is
All things considered, the MAC is probably the worst FBS conference there is.
I saw were a couple clowns posted on Twitter about what a powerful conference the MAC is. I often confuse it with OVC.
I hope we never get matched up with a MAC team in a bowl again. 2 straight years is enough.
Kricket wrote: December 21st, 2022, 6:35 pm Take your shots at the MAC now before we officially join C-USA. :lol:
Quiz Bowl King makes a great point. LU just played the MAC champs. An LU team that was maybe 75% at its best. And was in position to win the game. If a focused and ready LU team comes in to that game it wouldn’t even be close. And what was that Eastern Michigan Score again?
By rtb72
Cider Jim wrote: December 21st, 2022, 5:21 am

It was better than I expected for us. I believe we had a much better showing than Toledo as far as fanbase, but that was just a raw observation. Hopefully, in-person fan attendance for bowls can continue to improve in the future. I can't help but think the end of the season and coaching change may have stifled some folks from making the trip. My family and I actually weren't planning on making the trip until my wife analyzed the weather difference and decided it would make a nice getaway....of course, I didn't argue :D
Liberty22 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]