Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUDad
Liberty_2023 wrote: December 4th, 2022, 1:22 pm
Tnobes wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:13 pm Is there a link back up to the press conference this afternoon?
Ya, how do we watch?
I would think the logical thing to do is to stream it live through LU's youtube channel. All our church services are streamed that way and they are archived also.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 4th, 2022, 2:29 pm Not happy about the hire, but not much I can do about it. I guess we could have done worse. Not going to be around much longer anyway, so I can live with it.
I believe we could have done much better, but I do trust Ian explicitly.
Yeah, this is how I feel. 4 million for 7 years seems like too much for him.
Just because we can pay that much doesn’t mean we should.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:54 am The more I think about it, I think Hugh Freeze leaving was a blessing in disguise for this program. While he was here some people could play off our success as lightning in a bottle based on a good coach. Now that we went out and hired the top G5 coach on the market we are proving to people (and better conferences) that Liberty wasn't a one hit wonder that will fall off after he leaves and will remain a top program moving forward.
So Liberty’s strategy for proving its football program wasn’t a one-hit wonder under Freeze….is to hire another one-hit wonder? Success at Delta State and North Greenville and Charleston Southern doesn’t count, because winning at lower levels is easy.
Purple Haize liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Even easier if your athletic department’s compliance office lets you. And let’s every other sport at the school. And let them even before you arrived at the school!!
By LUDad
JK37 wrote: December 4th, 2022, 2:55 pm
Ill flame wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:54 am The more I think about it, I think Hugh Freeze leaving was a blessing in disguise for this program. While he was here some people could play off our success as lightning in a bottle based on a good coach. Now that we went out and hired the top G5 coach on the market we are proving to people (and better conferences) that Liberty wasn't a one hit wonder that will fall off after he leaves and will remain a top program moving forward.
So Liberty’s strategy for proving its football program wasn’t a one-hit wonder under Freeze….is to hire another one-hit wonder? Success at Delta State and North Greenville and Charleston Southern doesn’t count, because winning at lower levels is easy.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ng-players

The guy took over a non-traditional type program and thrived without a lot of resources. He will be a rockstar here (in the right kind of way).
JK37, TH Spangler liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:09 pm Even easier if your athletic department’s compliance office lets you. And let’s every other sport at the school. And let them even before you arrived at the school!!
Sure.
By Tnobes
flameshaw wrote: December 4th, 2022, 2:29 pm Not happy about the hire, but not much I can do about it. I guess we could have done worse. Not going to be around much longer anyway, so I can live with it.
I believe we could have done much better, but I do trust Ian explicitly.
Who in your opinion would have been better? Not an attack, just want to hear some names
By Tnobes
Chadwell has been a name on the rise and was linked to other jobs last cycle and this cycle to Georgia Tech and USF. Outside of Deion Sanders I think we got a pretty good name media wise, now time will tell on the wins if someone else may have been better but I think people are pretty happy with the hire as of now. Tom Allen coming from a big 10 program may have been another big name but I think Ian did well by all accounts as of now
JK37, ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By LUDad
LUDad wrote: December 4th, 2022, 2:41 pm
Liberty_2023 wrote: December 4th, 2022, 1:22 pm
Tnobes wrote: December 4th, 2022, 12:13 pm Is there a link back up to the press conference this afternoon?
Ya, how do we watch?
I would think the logical thing to do is to stream it live through LU's youtube channel. All our church services are streamed that way and they are archived also.
The press conference will be available at LU Football Twitter:

Liberty_2023 liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I’m not gonna lie, I loved that press conference. I know coaches come and go but it sure was nice at the idea that his wife made him promise this was the last move. Hope that’s true. Hope we have incredible success and somehow he elevated us and is our “Bobby Bowden”. I don’t believe there’s another institution that could have that in this country. We’re uniquely resourced and have the opportunity to move up should we see the success that’s needed for an invite. I’m pretty excited right now.
LU 57, LCA&LU Mom, Baybird and 7 others liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 4th, 2022, 3:09 pm Even easier if your athletic department’s compliance office lets you. And let’s every other sport at the school. And let them even before you arrived at the school!!
Maybe we should try cheating
By Tnobes
Liberty22 wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:23 pm I’m not gonna lie, I loved that press conference. I know coaches come and go but it sure was nice at the idea that his wife made him promise this was the last move. Hope that’s true. Hope we have incredible success and somehow he elevated us and is our “Bobby Bowden”. I don’t believe there’s another institution that could have that in this country. We’re uniquely resourced and have the opportunity to move up should we see the success that’s needed for an invite. I’m pretty excited right now.
I loved it too. He nailed it and I don't expect to lose too many if any players to the portal, if they liked freeze they're going to love chadwell plus they know he has had success from coastal. I'm very pleased with the hire
Liberty22, OneHope liked this
By Tnobes
OneHope wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:32 pm They cut the Q and A part off the feed 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ that’s what I wanted to hear…any good stuff there?
Disappointing they did that, but I definitely think the Q and A will be up on YouTube or something soon
OneHope liked this
By LUDad
My only advice to coach is to use some of that money coming his way to buy his lovely wife and family a beach front house. Happy wife, happy life.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:33 pm
OneHope wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:32 pm They cut the Q and A part off the feed 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ that’s what I wanted to hear…any good stuff there?
Disappointing they did that, but I definitely think the Q and A will be up on YouTube or something soon
There was no Q and A. That will take place in a few minutes over in the corner of club room
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
What I'm learning is that there isn't a coach that can make everyone happy. There's always going to be positives and negatives to any coaching hire.

I liked him saying he wanted the Christian environment and he wants to stay as long as he can.

I also like him mentioning the CFP as a goal. It's attainable for us and it's what we should be targeting year in and year out.

Good hire, and we owe it to the program and Chadwell to get behind him and give him a shot.
Liberty22, Tnobes, OneHope and 3 others liked this
By Ill flame
Liberty22 wrote: December 4th, 2022, 4:23 pm I’m not gonna lie, I loved that press conference. I know coaches come and go but it sure was nice at the idea that his wife made him promise this was the last move. Hope that’s true. Hope we have incredible success and somehow he elevated us and is our “Bobby Bowden”. I don’t believe there’s another institution that could have that in this country. We’re uniquely resourced and have the opportunity to move up should we see the success that’s needed for an invite. I’m pretty excited right now.
That quote about promising his wife they would be here awhile was surprising to me. I figured he had every intention of staying here a couple years until a SEC team calls but he made that comment completely unprompted which leads me to believe he actually means it. This also raises questions about his ability to maintain a program. We know from his track record he's very good at building one but he always leaves after 3-4 years to build the next program.
Liberty22, Kricket liked this
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]