Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Josh Aldridge, 33
Liberty Interim Head Coach & Co-Defensive Coordinator

Did an poutstanding job leading the Flames defense this year. He would provide some continuity for the team and potentially help with retaining the talent currently on the Mountain.

Tom Allen, 52
Indiana Head Coach

Very outspoken believer who was once on Coach Freeze's staff years ago at Lambuth. He's outperformed expectations at Indiana but has struggled Post-Pandemic finsihing 4-8 this season.

Kent Austin, 59
Liberty Co-Offensive Coordinator

The former CFL head coach was one of Freeze's top lieutenants and would offer some form of continuity during the transition.

Mike Brown, 34
Cincinnati WRs Coach

Without head aoching or coordinator experience, he would be a significant long shot. But the Flames legend has settled in nicely into the coaching ranks since he left behind his NFL playing days.

Jamey Chadwell, 45
Coastal Carolina Head Coach

Obviously a well-known commodity to Flames fans as head coach of two of our former Big South rivals at Charleston Southern and now Coastal Carolina. He has been head coach at two Christian institutions (CSU & North Greenville).

Gene Chizik, 60
North Carolina Assistant Head Coach for Defense

Won a national championship at Auburn in 2010 with Cam Newton's lone season on campus. He's back with his longtime boss Mack Brown leading the Tarheels defense. Chizik was DC for Brown on Texas' 2005 National Championship team.

Curt Cignetti, 61
JMU Head Coach

Wildly successful in his four seasons at JMU after succesful stops at Elon and the D2 level.

Chris Creighton, 53
Eastern Michigan Head Coach

If you can win at Eastern Michigan, you can win anywhere. In 9 seasonas in Ypsilanti, he now has the school in the mAC Championship game.

Tony Dews, 49
Tennessee Titans RB Coach

Very similar to Mike Brown situation but with more experience at P5 & NFL levels, The former Flame under Coach Sam has built a strong coachign carrer. But he's never been a head coach or coordinator.

Scott Frost, 49
Former Nebraska Head Coach

Won a self-proclaimed national championship at UCF before returning to his alma mater Nebraska and fairing poorly. He checks all of the professed believer boxes. LU does have a history of hiring former Nebraska All-American QBs.

Jeff Grimes, 54
Baylor Offensive Coordinator

Killer P5 resume including coaching on Auburn's national championship squad. And would bring killer Texan recruiting network into play. But once again, no head coaching experience.

Clay Helton, 50
Georgia Southern Head Coach

Former USC head coach who had mixed results for the Trojans. He spent this season leading Georgia Southern to a 6-6 mark. But he has strong credentials and great recruiting contacts.

Mike London, 62
William & Mary Head Coach

London is best known for his mediocre 6-season stint at UVa, but he has a proven track record of success at Richmond and his built W&M into a surprising CAA power this season.

G.J. Kinne, 33
Incarnate Word Head Coach

First year as a head coach has been amazing at FCS Incarnate Word sitting at 10-1. He's been around the block for a young guy after playing professionally and then coaching at places like SMU, Arkansas, Hawaii, UCF & Philadelphia Eagles. He is rumored to be a shoe-in to become the new head coach at Tulsa where he starred at quaterback.

Mike Minter, 48
Campbell Head Coach

Former LU assistant who has done a solid job at resource-constrained Campbell. Former NFL star who is an outspoken believer.

Jeff Monken, 55
Army Head Coach

A Paul Johnson disciple who has been very successful at a place tough to win, West Point. He took Georgia Southern to three FCS national semifinals in a row.

Barry Odom, 46
Arkansas Defensive Coordinator

The former Mizzou head coach saw the Flames up close and personal this year at Arkansas.

Anthony Poindexter, 46
Penn State Co-Defensive Coordinator

The Jefferson Forest HS alum has put together a very nice resume with stints at his alma mater UVa, UConn, Purdue & now in Happy Valley.

Deion Sanders, 55
Jackson State Head Coach

Coach Prime has been a rousing success at his brief stint at FCS/SWAC/HBCU Jackson State in recruiting, on-the-field results and promotion. He also is very open about his faith and with the right resources could potentially be a game-changer for any program. He does bring some baggage with him but he is indisputably the most sought after coach available in America right now.

Brandon Streeter, 45
Clemson Offensive Coordinator

Danny Rocco's right hand man running his offenses at Liberty & Richmond, Streeter has established himself as a top coaching candidate in his time at Clemson. He's been OC this season after Tony Elliott moved upt o UVa.

Cadillac Williams, 40
Auburn Running Backs Coach & Former Interim Head Coach

In his four games as interim head coach for Auburn, he went two and two and generally earned the respect of the fanbase. He's an outspoken believer and a charismatic leader.

Kane Wommack, 35
South Alabama Head Coach

From the Tom Allen coaching tree as he served as DC at Indiana before serving his 1st two years as USA Head Coach. This year he has led the Jaguars to a 10-2 record.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
If Mike London is a realistic option that’s terrifying. Off of that list…give me Cadillac.
By Tnobes
I don't mind going a Chizik or someone whos been there done that that may be at their twilight, or a coordinator/assistant from a big time school like Clemson or Auburn (streeter & Cadillac) I absolutely do not want to go for a head coach from a small time school like eastern Michigan or the likes, that would be a huge step back from an SEC Coach like freeze. We need a big name or someone with big school experience for recruiting edge
Liberty22, ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
Ryan Walters, Illinois DC, is going places and will be a top coaching candidate soon. I'm kind of suprised Colorado isn't all over him considering that's his Alma mater. I wouldn't mind going after him.
By Tnobes
Redbonebandit wrote: November 28th, 2022, 7:57 pm Yeah not a fan of London, and caddy is a great cheerleader but idk about head coach. Like the others with head coaching experience.
A lot of head coaching is pep talk recruits, pep talk media, pep talk donors and fans and promote the program. You get qualified assistants and let them do their thing and being an SEC guy and former NFL player Cadillac must know dudes who would coach with him. It would also be fun to see who does better and accept the Auburn connection of freeze, Willis and other auburn transfers we have, embrace the Auburn connection (and hopefully come out with the better end like we did Malik 😃)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I don’t understand not liking the way Freeze left the place, then seeking out an SEC retread.

Give me an up-and-comer who sees LU as a once in a lifetime opportunity they better not screw up, so they give it everything. And even when they move on, we tip our cap.

Or give me JMU’s guy, because….F it!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: November 28th, 2022, 6:39 pm Go look at Chris Creighton's head coaching record. By the way, to take EMU to 5 bowl games in 9 years is incredible!

He is 53 years old and could be a candidate who stays long-term at LU. The mission of LU fits very well with his Christian beliefs.
Would love Creighton but does he make the Splash LU wants/needs?
Carnell actually makes sense. He absolutely needs some seasoning and CUSA and LUs schedule the next few years can provide that. Obviously he provides the Splash LU wants and the testimony Christian aspects are off the chart.
I would LOVE for LU to give him his shot
Tnobes liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 8:50 pm I don’t understand not liking the way Freeze left the place, then seeking out an SEC retread.

Give me an up-and-comer who sees LU as a once in a lifetime opportunity they better not screw up, so they give it everything. And even when they move on, we tip our cap.

Or give me JMU’s guy, because….F it!
It is pretty simple. He preached "finishing strong" and clearly didn't practice what he preached. That is it for me. I don't fault him for leaving one bit. Very few do.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: November 28th, 2022, 7:04 pm Who would recruit best?
Coach Prime Time is pulling in 4-star and 5-star recruits! :shock: Now that would be a SPLASH hire.
ballcoach15, CCWMichael liked this
By Tnobes
Ron Zook (mostly joking) but that guy can out recruit anyone, he handed urban Mayer national championships and Illinois was foolish to fire him back in the day. Loved the zooker
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Gotta try to keep Kent either way. And likely a short list guy already. One name missing from these lists is Jeff Grimes. Wasn't a candidate for BYU HC job due to his Christian faith.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JMU coach went home after beating CCU and had some drinks of Volka & tonic water, according to Roanoke newspaper.

Next coach will be a former P5 Head Coach.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Hire internal-Alridge or Austin. Great coaches that understand the current culture of the program and can build on the current "ship's path" while making adjustment/additions where needed. The blue print is already there and hopefully they know it. Ive seen so many good examples of schools and business go this route. The splashy name doesn't always win the prize.
Wvflame2013 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 10:04 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 9:35 pm JMU coach went home after beating CCU and had some drinks of Volka & tonic water, according to Roanoke newspaper.

And?
Should have been Gin and Tonic. Seriously, who does Vodka and tonic anymore
Liberty22 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
This post may have been ahead of it's time. Even one of the comments predicted Freeze leaving for Auburn a year ahead of it happening.

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This is a prime opportunity in the coaching ranks that will be coveted and pursued by some high profile candidates. No, Coach Prime is not going to be one of them.

When Coach Gill stepped down, we primarily had nothing more than promise and resources to attract talent. Now we have a track record and a potential path to a playoff through our CUSA membership.

This is a sweet gig!
Cider Jim, rtb72 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The podcast tonight said there are P5 head coaches wanting to come to Liberty, along with P5 coordinators. Also some G5 head coaches.
This year's men’s basketball?

I have no interest in a 6' 8 guard or a 7' forward[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.