Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Tnobes
I think the top target/targets are still coaching a game on Saturday (Caldwell, Chizik, etc.) If it were someone who's season is already done (Allen, frost, etc.) Or Mike Brown who's head coach already left for another job, or an assistant coach that isn't a coordinator who can really leave whenever with no backlash of "abandoning their team" why wouldn't you announce it already and get going? There would be no point in waiting.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
TH Spangler wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:17 pm
Liberty_2023 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 12:14 pm News about Jeff Monken & Liberty?
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... -open-jobs
I highly doubt he leaves army but Jeff monken has said in an interview before that he wouldn't mind running a more traditional offense if he took a job elsewhere. He's a defensive minded coach anyway that is just doing whatever it takes to win. My guess is he would incorporate a lot of RPO concepts into a normal spread scheme depending on his OC.
By LUDad
Ill flame wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:33 pm
Liberty_2023 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 12:14 pm News about Jeff Monken & Liberty?
I highly doubt he leaves army but Jeff monken has said in an interview before that he wouldn't mind running a more traditional offense if he took a job elsewhere. He's a defensive minded coach anyway that is just doing whatever it takes to win. My guess is he would incorporate a lot of RPO concepts into a normal spread scheme depending on his OC.
https://christianfighterpilot.com/tag/jeff-monken/

He might be getting tired of the path the Military has been on the past few years. Seems like a good coach to me.
TH Spangler liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
It's got to be hard being a player right now knowing that your coach just peaced out on you and you find out after the fact that he may have been distracted during the last 3 games of the year. What's more, you have no idea if any of his former assistants might get the call to leave at a moment's notice, all while preparing mentally/physically for a bowl game. Out of the assistant's that are left that haven't received a call from HCHF yet... you have to know they are distracted worrying about their own futures. A lot of them have young kids, etc. I know I see Coach Aldridge at LCA/ELC in the mornings. I hope ADIM has added a stipulation for some of these guys to be retained. If we had a crappy season - I'd be onboard with cleaning house, but we didn't. Hopefully, we see some familiar faces on the sidelines next September, because I think they earned it.
Tnobes, Risewithus, AATL and 2 others liked this
By Tnobes
Sly Fox wrote: December 1st, 2022, 2:24 pm He's on the list and falls into the category of coaches who do not have a game on Saturday because their duel with Navy is the following Saturday.
I don't think Ian waits that long to name a coach
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: December 1st, 2022, 2:07 pm
Ill flame wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:33 pm

https://christianfighterpilot.com/tag/jeff-monken/

He might be getting tired of the path the Military has been on the past few years. Seems like a good coach to me.
Glad he's on our list. 👍
***Not confirmed***

Josiah Elmore - Sports Reporter for 90.0 the Light & Lynchburg Hillcats writer just posted on this on Twitter:

"SOURCES: James Chadwell is the next head football coach at Liberty." Along with this, he posted that Kent Austin, Maurice Harris, Bruce Johnson & Ben Aigamaua are heading to the Barn with Hugh Freeze.
By Wvflame2013
aj7 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 4:03 pm Not trusting a student reporter to break the news on Chadwell. But if it ends up being true that would be a huge win. Honestly surprised a P5 school hasn't scooped him up yet.
That student would be a scoop legend as well.
aj7, LUOrange liked this
By Tnobes
flamehunter wrote: December 1st, 2022, 4:23 pm Therein lies the only problem I see with hiring him. Does he see this as a destination or another 2-4 year step to higher aspirations?
A 2 to 4 year step to higher aspirations would mean he had to have done better than freeze and I for one would be ok with that. If he maintained what freeze did (which was very very good) that wouldn't necessarily help him to a P5, he'd need to do better which would be fantastic
aj7, LUOrange, Baybird liked this
By AATL
flamehunter wrote: December 1st, 2022, 4:23 pm Therein lies the only problem I see with hiring him. Does he see this as a destination or another 2-4 year step to higher aspirations?
I'm not sure we can afford to worry about that yet, as awesome as it would be to find a long-term fit. As long as we're successful, bigger fish will want our coaches and offer them more than we can. It's likely the fate of being a good G5.
Tnobes, LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
Even Oregon, Oklahoma and notre dame has had coaches poached recently, it's never going to stop happening if we keep winning. As long as the next coach stays at least 3-4 and keeps the program rising before jumping to bigger opportunities I'll be happy.
ballcoach15, Tnobes liked this
By Tnobes
If the "source" isn't Jamey Caldwell or Ian then I'm not trusting the "source" untill an announcement is made. Liberty isn't going to leak anything about a head coach hire until after Saturday. They don't want to do someone dirty like we got done dirty
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: December 1st, 2022, 4:51 pm If the "source" isn't Jamey Caldwell or Ian then I'm not trusting the "source" untill an announcement is made. Liberty isn't going to leak anything about a head coach hire until after Saturday. They don't want to do someone dirty like we got done dirty
Are you sure? We are talking about Coastal :lol:
By Wvflame2013
TH Spangler wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:31 pm
Tnobes wrote: December 1st, 2022, 4:51 pm If the "source" isn't Jamey Caldwell or Ian then I'm not trusting the "source" untill an announcement is made. Liberty isn't going to leak anything about a head coach hire until after Saturday. They don't want to do someone dirty like we got done dirty

Are you sure? We are talking about Coastal :lol:
Beat Coastal. We win on and off the field :D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I keep getting DMs & texts from posters on and off campus within the past hour or so indicating that there is some type of agreement potentially in place with whomever they have selected. But nothing will be announced until after games are completed on Saturday which could mean either late Saturday night leak or full announcement on Sunday with an introductory news conference either then or Monday.

Once again, here are the suspected candidate coaches with games this weekend:

Jamey Chadwell
Gene Chizik
Mike London
G.J. Kinne
Deion Sanders
Brandon Streeter

A couple of those are likely on Ian's short list: Chadwell, Chizik & Streeter.

Obviously Chadwell & Streeter wouldn't need to visit to get a feel for our facilities. I am not sure on Chizik.

With all of the aviation folks we have on this site, no one has tracked any of the LU aircraft to anywhere suspicious? The trend these days is for primarily Zoom/Teams engagements. But in-person interviews tend to be at major regional airports like IAD, DCA or RDU. Usually they are at flight services at one of those types of airports.
OneHope liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Half of those are within driving distance. Granted flying is quicker, but driving prevents airplane tracking.

There's a dark horse candidate from SEC country that very little if anything as been mentioned about. (former head coach)
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]