Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By rjhenz
Registration Days Posts
Yea, looking at Sly’s list (thanks for putting that together), the ones I’m looking at are:

Chadwell
Chezik
Sanders

And I’m intrigued by

Kinne

My favorite out of those is Chadwell
Last edited by rjhenz on November 30th, 2022, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCWMichael liked this
By Tnobes
aredd33 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 11:54 am I hope it’s not Chizik. He has a ring because of Cam Newton and Cam Newton alone. Without that one magical season relying on Newton he’s 24-38…38-38 with the Heisman winner.
He also had a hand in the Longhorns success and championship and mack brown is no slouch, he's doing a fine job now at North Carolina. Also his media commentator work is also valuable in giving liberty publicity and legitimacy with recruits, everyone knows Gene Chizik when you go into a living room if a recruit. I think there are better candidates than Chizik but he'd be a fine hire. So 2 national championship rings if I'm correct?
ballcoach15 liked this
By Tnobes
rjhenz wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:01 pm Yea, looking at Sly’s list (thanks for putting that together), the ones I’m looking at are:

Chadwell
Chezik
Sanders

And I’m intrigued by

Kinne

My favorite out of those is Chadwell
They'd all be nice hires, I admittedly warmed up to chadwell by watching press conferences and interviews on YouTube, he's a good guy and coastal has done well
Last edited by Tnobes on November 30th, 2022, 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JK37 liked this
By aj7
If USF has offered Chadwell the job I'd find it pretty hard to keep it quiet through Saturday that he has accepted. If we don't hear those murmurs then it could be a good chance he's taking a serious look at Liberty. Chizik and Allen give me Turner Gill vibes. Coaches that will just hang around the mountain but not really take us anywhere.
Tnobes, TLocke88, LUalum12 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: November 30th, 2022, 11:51 am I was thinking Chadwell but you could be right. Then again about that SWAC 'ship ...
I’m only going with Gene cause if the USF offer for Chadwell. Plus Gene isn’t getting a lot of traction here and has more of that Executive feel than Chadwell. Plus the name is a bigger ‘splash’
Tnobes liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That's the first reference that I have seen to Poindexter. He might be intriguing. The Nittany Lions finished 10-2 but sit waiting to hear where they will land in bowl season.

For those curious about where he stands with his faith:
UVa News Release about his College Football HOF Induction wrote:“If I had come out early, who knows what would have happened?” said Poindexter, a three-time first-team All-ACC selection. “I think God has a plan for everyone, and that was my plan. I tell people all the time that I probably touched and reached more people by coming back and going through what I had to go through with the injury than I would have ever had by just going off and having a great pro career. I think I’m an example of perseverance, faith, family and picking up the pieces when things get down.”
Click Here for Full Story
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Pointdexter would be a better candidate than many I have seen mentioned, (actually most of them.)

Note:

I went to a UVA Regional baseball once, and Pointdexter was the only other UVA Coach there supporting the Hoos baseball team that day.
By Wvflame2013
Sly Fox wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:13 pm That's the first reference that I have seen to Poindexter. He might be intriguing. The Nittany Lions finished 10-2 but sit waiting to hear where they will land in bowl season.

For those curious about where he stands with his faith:
UVa News Release about his College Football HOF Induction wrote:“If I had come out early, who knows what would have happened?” said Poindexter, a three-time first-team All-ACC selection. “I think God has a plan for everyone, and that was my plan. I tell people all the time that I probably touched and reached more people by coming back and going through what I had to go through with the injury than I would have ever had by just going off and having a great pro career. I think I’m an example of perseverance, faith, family and picking up the pieces when things get down.”
Click Here for Full Story
First hearing of him. He is very intriguing. He is from the Burg. He's young, comes from a good program. I'm all for giving a young guy a shot like that.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:02 pm
aredd33 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 11:54 am I hope it’s not Chizik. He has a ring because of Cam Newton and Cam Newton alone. Without that one magical season relying on Newton he’s 24-38…38-38 with the Heisman winner.
He also had a hand in the Longhorns success and championship and mack brown is no slouch, he's doing a fine job now at North Carolina. Also his media commentator work is also valuable in giving liberty publicity and legitimacy with recruits, everyone knows Gene Chizik when you go into a living room if a recruit. I think there are better candidates than Chizik but he'd be a fine hire. So 2 national championship rings if I'm correct?
Yupp 2 rings. One as a co-dc on the 2005 Texas team. Maybe I’m wrong and he’d work out great and do tremendous things here but he certainly doesn’t excite me.
Luckily for all of us on this board I’m not making any decisions and Ian is.
ballcoach15, aj7, Tnobes liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: November 30th, 2022, 11:29 am I'm warming up to clay helton. Good coaching contacts and he had some success at USC, obviously not enough for USC's expectations but he didn't suck. Chadwell would be nice, prime would be nice but a big longshot. Frost heck no. I understand another posters comment about Tom Allen maybe being only good enough not to fire but not good enough to be poached but I wouldn't be disappointed in a tom Allen hire.
Hang on a second, I need to pick myself up off my chair. An entire post from you with which I agree completely!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
rjhenz wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:10 pm From Damien, his list:

https://newsadvance.com/sports/college/ ... d9827.html
Patterson spent more than 20 seasons as TCU’s head coach, so he is already accustomed to the standards of a Christian university.
Um, not all Christian universities are the same. And assuming so is worse than understanding the difference between a Christian and a secular university.

TCU ain't LU.
aj7, FlamesHighontheTide, Tnobes and 2 others liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:35 pm Pointdexter would be a better candidate than many I have seen mentioned, (actually most of them.)

Note:

I went to a UVA Regional baseball once, and Pointdexter was the only other UVA Coach there supporting the Hoos baseball team that day.
I'm trying to piece together your criteria:
Strong Faith
Big Name
P5 head coaching experience
Goes to baseball games
I can assume, goes to softball games

What am I missing? :lol: :football
By Tnobes
ballcoach15 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:12 pm I think it's important that we get a "big name", who can also win the press conference.
I pretty much agree, you can do well at the G5 level and your team not get good publicity, exposure or love on the national scene. Luke fickell had credibility from Ohio State, Hugh Freeze from SEC. The media likes to cover a G5 with coaching credibility. Winning is important but we need to be in the conversation for new years bowls and potential playoff and a coach with name recognition goes along way in getting that, I think it means something to the playoff committee and the ESPN's of the world

Obviously you need to win, recognized coach is a big bonus though
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: November 30th, 2022, 1:44 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:12 pm I think it's important that we get a "big name", who can also win the press conference.
I pretty much agree, you can do well at the G5 level and your team not get good publicity, exposure or love on the national scene. Luke fickell had credibility from Ohio State, Hugh Freeze from SEC. The media likes to cover a G5 with coaching credibility. Winning is important but we need to be in the conversation for new years bowls and potential playoff and a coach with name recognition goes along way in getting that, I think it means something to the playoff committee and the ESPN's of the world

Obviously you need to win, recognized coach is a big bonus though
Some names I have seen mentioned actually made me laugh. Reminds me of seeing Manny Diaz mentioned before we hired Hugh Freeze.
By LUDad
JK37 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 1:24 pm
rjhenz wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:10 pm From Damien, his list:

https://newsadvance.com/sports/college/ ... d9827.html
Patterson spent more than 20 seasons as TCU’s head coach, so he is already accustomed to the standards of a Christian university.
Um, not all Christian universities are the same. And assuming so is worse than understanding the difference between a Christian and a secular university.

TCU ain't LU.
True. Likewise on individual's theology (TD Jakes and Sanders)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There is increasing smoke in the Twittersphere about the former Reds OF potentially headed back to Cincy. But I digress.

Where are my FlightAware peeps? If coaches are done for the year or inactive, they should be in play for interviews right now. Here some possible candidates who fall into that category:

• Tom Allen in Bloomington, IN
  • Scott Frost in Lincoln, NE

We could also see an active coach awaiting his bowl game assignment make a flight on an off day to a neutral site for an interview.

My guess is that everything is being done via Zoom/Teams until one candidate emerges. Then it likely would be an airport meeting somewhere nearby like we saw with Coach Freeze. Our facilities are well known by this point.
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 9:35 pm JMU coach went home after beating CCU and had some drinks of Volka & tonic water, according to Roanoke newspaper.

Next coach will be a former P5 Head Coach.
I agree, anyone who likes soft drinks is a no go :shock:
Just John liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]